Are you a new mother searching for sponge for bathing, bathing sponge, bathing sponge for newborns, sponge bathing newborn or sponge bathing a newborn? Search no more, let’s help you take the stress out. We bring you up to date information on bathing sponge for babies and how to properly sponge bathe a new born.
Though our bathrooms may be among the best place we get to relax while taking our showers, they are also the place where we get to clean up. But at times we don’t feel clean, and especially when we use our hands to apply soap to the body. Our hands alone may also not get effective in removing all the dirt in our bodies. But a bath sponge works out perfectly. The skin becomes smother, cleaner, and better exfoliated when cleaned with a bath sponge. But many people are not aware of bath sponges and whatever they entail. Could you be one of them? If so, you may need to continue reading as in this article, everything you need to know about a bath sponge will get discussed. We shall also answer questions such as the best bath sponge on the market today, why you should use a bath sponge, different kinds, whether they collect bacteria and what to do about it, and its difference with a brush. Also, you shall get insight into different shapes of bath sponges, whether they can get recycled, and factors you should consider before a bath sponge.
A bath sponge enhances adequate application of soap in our bodies while bathing. Also, it helps in removing any dirt from our bodies entirely, leaving us feeling clean and refreshed. It is easy to differentiate a body cleaned using a bath sponge and that without. For the body that got cleaned using a bath sponge, the skin looks radiant. A bath sponge also works wonders on kids. The sponges treat their skin with gentle care, making the kids healthy and happy. Do you have a kid? Then you should consider choosing the right bath sponge for him or her. The correct bath sponges for the kids are those approved, just like their toys. The market gets flooded with these bath sponges and, whether you want one for yourself or the kid, it might get tricky picking the right one. But you need not get worried; we did a research on the best bath sponge available today. Read on to grasp some knowledge. They include the following;
- Standard 60g size. Approx 5.1 inches.
- Using togheter with shower gels or soaps, the ultra-soft bath sponges can…
- There are 3 loofah in one package, each with a strap that can be used to…
1. Bath Loofahs Sponge Shower Pouf Body Scrubber BallMesh Pouf Bath Sponge
If you are looking for a bath sponge big enough to effectively clean your body, then Bath Loofahs Sponge Shower Pouf Body Scrubber was made for you. It is approximately 5.1 inches and comes with a standard size of 75g. The fact that it comes as a pack of three is very convenient, saving time and money if you need more than one bath sponge for other members of the family. If you are the only one, the remaining two after using one will come in handy when you need to place a new one, still saving you time.
May be you have been looking for a bath sponge that blends well with soaps or shower gels but in vain. No need to fret; you should embrace Bath Loofahs Sponge Shower Pouf Body Scrubber. When used with soaps or shower gels, this bath sponge creates rich bubbles responsible for cleansing the pores and removing keratin. You also don’t need to use a hook to hold the bath sponge for drying, all the three loofah come with a strap used for hanging them to dry.
You might worry if this bath sponge is ideal for you. Impressively, it suits all people regardless of the age. It is therefore ideal to buy for the family. Besides, the manufacturer ensures you enjoy value for your money by offering you a 60-day quality guarantee.
Pros & Cons of Bath Loofahs Sponge Shower Pouf Body Scrubber BallMesh Pouf Bath Sponge
- Approximately 5.1 inches in size
- Comes as a pack of three
- Ideal to use with all soaps and shower gels
- Ideas for people of all ages
- Comes with a strap used for hanging to dry
- 60-day quality guarantee
- The straps used for hanging sometimes get loose and fall off.
- NATURALLY SAFE & NONTOXIC: Synthetic shower poufs can be loaded with…
- SOFTER YET MORE EFFECTIVE: Forget those harsh, scratchy Chinese loofahs….
- SPA-QUALITY LUXURIES FOR LESS: Why settle for chintzy puffs that quickly…
2. CraftsOfEgypt Set of 3 Egyptian Loofah 100% Natural SPA Beauty Bath Sponge
What’s exciting about this loofah is the fact that it gets made with 100% natural materials from Egypt. It is therefore very safe to use and is friendly to the environment. Also, it makes your skin radiate and glow naturally, thereby exfoliating it the natural way. You could be struggling with dry and dead skin for long and are tired. No need to worry; CraftsOfEgypt Set of 3 Egyptian Loofah is what you need. You will get to look great the entire day if you wash your body with this bath sponge. Thanks to the fact that it removes all dry and dead skin.
It comes with a size of 15cm x 15cm (6 x 6 inch), large enough to wash your body effectively and great for delivery. Besides, it gets compressed flat for shipping, so don’t get surprised when you first receive it. You only need to take some hot water and soak it for around 15 minutes to regain its original shape. Talking of quality; this bath sponge comes with an Egyptian touch and a mark of quality. Interestingly, CraftsOfEgypt Set of 3 Egyptian Loofah boosts your skin’s blood circulation, ensuring you enjoy positive radiant than you have ever experienced. Are you tired of loofahs that irritate your skin? Then you should consider buying CraftsOfEgypt Set of 3 Egyptian Loofah. The quality gets guaranteed and the makers have managed to create their name on the market as one of the leading manufacturers of natural skin care products.
Pros & Cons of CraftsOfEgypt Set of 3 Egyptian Loofah 100% Natural SPA Beauty Bath Sponge
- Exfoliates the skin the natural way
- Pure natural materials
- Animal, human, and environment-friendly
- Soft to the skin
- Effective in removing dirt, dead and dry skin
- 15cm x 15cm in size
- Ideal for shipping
- Regains original shape after compressing
- Egyptian touch
- Boosts blood circulation in the blood
- Positive radiant
- Top-notch quality
- Product guarantee
- Some people may be allergic to the natural material used in making this bath sponge.
- EFFECTIVELY CLEANSE SENSITIVE SKIN: Create an at-home spa experience with…
- FIRM EXFOLIATING LOOFAH: This set also includes a firm handheld mesh loofah…
- LONG EXTENDED REACH HANDLE: Constructed with a durable lotus wood, the…
3. Vive Loofah Sponge Back Scrubber – Men & Women Long Handled Exfoliating Bath & Shower Body Brush
Do you have a sensitive skin and are looking for the ideal bath sponge? Then you will fall head over heels with Vive Loofah Sponge Back Scrubber. It cleans sensitive skin effectively. What’s amazing is the fact that you get to do so in a spa-like experience at your home. Thanks to the loofah brush with soft mesh that comes with this bath sponge. The fact that it cleans the sensitive skin as it improves its blood circulation makes it incredible!
May be you struggle with hanging other loofahs to dry and are tired. You need not to worry about Vive Loofah Sponge Back Scrubber. It comes with a strap for hanging while the brush has a cord loop at its handle responsible for sliding on your wrist while bathing to prevent it from dropping. Besides, this bath sponge goes with any gel, body wash, gel, or shampoo. You therefore get to use what you love and prefer. It comes as a set, and contains a firm mesh loofah held by hand when showering or bathing. The loofah removes dead skin cells and exfoliates the skin boosting its health and increasing its clarity.
If you struggle with cleaning your elbows and feet, this bath sponge is ideal to clean such rough areas. You will also love the fact that Vive Loofah Sponge Back Scrubber comes with an extended handle. The hard to reach areas like your back or feet will no longer be a struggle cleaning them. The handle is stylish and gets made for easier grip while scrubbing your body. You will love the textured rubber sleeve that provides a secure, comfortable and nonslip grip. What’s impressive is the fact that even when the handle is wet, the grip remains secure. It is also durable, thanks for the lotus wood used in its making. It can never split or crack, giving you services for many years. Besides, it is 17inches long, perfect for hard to reach areas. Besides, you need not buy Vive Loofah Sponge Back Scrubber with fear, it comes with a 60-day guarantee.
Pros & Cons of Vive Loofah Sponge Back Scrubber – Men & Women Long Handled Exfoliating Bath & Shower Body Brush
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- A spa-like experience
- Soft mesh
- Improves blood circulation in the skin
- Strand for hanging to dry
- A cord loop
- Comes a set
- Exfoliates the skin
- Removes dead skin
- Extended handle
- Firm and secure grip
- A 60-day guarantee.
- Sometimes it unravels off the stick after using it a few times
- 100% Natural and Renewable Resource that is Harvested in the Gulf of Mexico…
- Soft, Luxurious and Very Durable!
- Dimensions of natural sea sponges are determined with the sponge wet. When…
4. Sea Wool Sponge 6 – 7” (X-Large) by Bath & Shower Express Natural Renewable Resource!
Are you looking for a bath sponge made with 100% natural materials? Then you will love Sea Wool Sponge. It not only get made with pure material, but it’s also a renewable resource. You therefore has no business wondering whether it is safe for the animals, humans, or environment. It is 100% friendly and non-harm. Besides, you will get excited by its Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico touch. It gets harvested in this country.
If you love trendy and classy items, then you will fall head over heels with this bath sponge. It comes with a beautiful natural gold color, and circular in shape. It is luxurious and very soft, making ideal for sensitive and delicate skin like those of babies. The material used in its making is sturdy, explaining why Sea Wool Sponge gives service for a long time. It expands on putting it in water and is an excellent size for your hand and to clean up your body.
Pros & Cons of Sea Wool Sponge 6 – 7” (X-Large) by Bath & Shower Express Natural Renewable Resource!
- 100% natural sea wool sponge
- Renewable resource
- Friendly to humans, animals, and the environment
- Ideal for sensitive and delicate skin
- A Mexican and Caribbean touch
- Right size
- Sometimes the sponge falls apart with use.
- Material: Our sponges is made from natural konjac, very soft and gentle…
- Features: 1, Improve the blood circulations and remove the dead cuticles;…
- How to dry and maintain life: After use, hang the sponge on its string in a…
5. Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set with Activated Bamboo Charcoal – Body & Facial Sponge
Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set gets made with natural konjac; do you know what this means? When soaked in water, this sponge becomes very gentle and soft. It therefore does not matter your skin type. It is ideal for all skin types and makes them soft and glossy when used. Besides, the benefits that comes with this sponge are marvelous! Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set removes dead cuticles from the skin and improves its blood circulation. When it comes to the deep cleaning of the skin, it is like a walk in the park for Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set. Impressively, it cleans all the pore-clogging impurities.
Did you know that konjac contains a natural weak alkalinity? As a result, when you get to use this sponge, it helps in maintaining your body’s weak alkalinity status. Also, it balances your PH level. What’s exciting is the fact that you can use this bath sponge to clean your body without any soap or shower gel. You need not struggle while drying Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set. It comes with a strap attached to enhance hanging for proper drying.
Because it gets made with pure konjac, it comes with a smell, but it shouldn’t bother you. Just soak it in warm water for 3 – 5 minutes and use a cleaner to wash it. The smell will disappear immediately you wash the sponge. If you are the kind that loves trendy things, this sponge is a classy. It comes in a stylish design, and is lightweight. You can carry it along comfortably while traveling. It is also friendly to your pocket.
Pros & Cons of Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set with Activated Bamboo Charcoal – Body & Facial Sponge
- Pure natural konjac
- Gentle and soft
- Ideal for all skin types
- Removes dead cuticles
- Improves the skin’s blood circulation
- Cleans pore-clogging impurities
- A natural weak alkalinity
- Maintains the body’s weak alkalinity status
- Balances the body’s PH level
- Suitable to use without soap or shower gel
- Sleek design
- • It comes with a smell not comfortable with many users
After discussing the above bath sponges, you may have an idea of the best ones in the market. Unfortunately, just like many people, you may struggle with the reasons why one should use a bath sponge. You may need to continue reading to grab some knowledge.
Why Should You Use a Bah Sponge?
We are living in a beauty conscious world today, and a bathing sponge has managed to secure its place in this industry. Unlike before where one used to visit a beauty salon for better cleansing of their bodies, today people are opting to buy reliable bath sponges. In this regard, one would wonder why you should pay someone to clean your body while you can do it at the comfort of your home. You may ask why; it is because a bath sponge comes with the following uses;
I. Lightening the Darkened and Faded Skin Patches
Have you ever suffered from acne? Diseases and conditions like this causes scares on your skin. But no need to worry; scrubbing the skin with a suitable bath sponge will help remove the scares. Impressively, bath sponges also help in clearing bacteria responsible for generating pimples. These bacteria get located deep in the skin. Dryness of the skin causes dark patches. A bath sponge is great in enlightening these patches.
II. Great Complexion
A bath sponge exfoliates your skin. As a result, your body feels soft and refreshed, and your skin glow. When you scrub your body with a bath sponge, all the dry, dark patchy, and dull skin disappears. In return, you get to enjoy a perfect complexion. But it’s not easy to maintain a good complexion, you need to adopt great bathing habits like using a bath sponge. Besides, it is the most economical way of maintaining a great complexion.
III. Improves Blood Circulation
While using a bath sponge, you get to scrub your body using a circular motion. As a result, friction gets created, which in turn helps improve your blood circulation. Your body then gets energized and the texture of your skin gets maintained. Besides, with proper blood circulation, your skin looks young! If you want to feel beautiful, then look beautiful first. Why not take the advantage of a bath sponge?
If you compare the cost of a bath sponge with other chemicals used on our skin, a bath sponge is cheap to use. Because a bath sponge is quite affordable, we get able to change it at will or after two to three weeks due to hygienic purposes. But the fact that bath sponges cleans our bodies in a natural way makes their demand skyrocket.
V. Dead Skin Removal
A bath sponge exfoliates our skin gently. As a result, all the dead skin found on the skin’s surface get removed. When we scrub our skin with a bath sponge, oil, dirt, and dead skin get cleared, leaving a clean, refreshed, and clear skin. The way a bath sponge pulls out oil accumulated in our skin’s pores cannot get compared with other cleansers or body wash. The services of a bath sponge are top-notch!
VI. Better Cleaning of the Skin
Bath sponges get made with net-like but soft materials to help scrub your body thoroughly. When you apply the circular motions gently on various parts of the body, all the dirt, sweat, and bacteria get removed entirely. Loofahs also clean even the toughest parts of your body like the feet and elbows.
Because bath sponges does the same thing a beauty parlor or salon would do for you, there is no need visiting these specialists. You only need to take a bath with a bath sponge and you get sorted. As a result, you get saved time you would have spent going to these beauty places. Besides, taking a bath is inevitable. We not only take baths or showers to get clean but also to help in our relaxation. Sometimes you find yourself taking a bath more than once a day. And if you get to use a bath sponge, the better it is for your skin and body.
VIII. Soft on Skin
Loofahs come with soft textures that does not scar your skin and helps in saving your skin’s softness. Bath sponges also ensures that any impurity that can interfere with your skin’s good condition like dirt and oil get removed entirely. No wonder our skin glows, looks soft and healthy after bathing with a bath sponge. Because the bath sponges comes as chemical free, they contain no harm compared to other beauty products.
IX. No Side Effects
A bath sponge is natural and helps in eliminating dead cells from the skin. It’s better to cure dead cells using the natural way instead of chemicals. When you use products with chemicals to care for your skin, you use more money in buying them than a bath sponge. Also, using these products with chemicals brings about psychological problems like body shaming and low self-confidence. Also, many fairness cream come with harmful bleaching ingredients that damage your skin.
You might have now known the usefulness or benefits of a bath sponge but wonder whether they contain any bad effect. You need not to worry, bath sponges are great with no side effects, but you need to keep them clean and dry. Are you wondering why? Because they may collect bacteria. Check out below to find out how bath sponges get bacteria.
Do a Bath Sponge Collect Bacteria?
You may love the feeling after taking a shower or bath using a bath sponge, but you shouldn’t celebrate yet. Did you know that loofahs and bath sponges we love in our showers act as a perfect ground for breeding bacteria? You shouldn’t get attached to them unless you sanitize or replace them regularly. Whether natural or synthetic sponges, when exposed to moist and warm environments like in the bathrooms, they get to breed and harbor bacteria. As a result, you get to suffer from skin conditions like folliculitis, causing your hair follicles to get inflamed.
Fortunately, you can avoid the harboring and breeding of bacteria by these bath sponges through a number of ways. Are you eager to know? Continue reading for insight.
How Do You Prevent a Bath Sponge From Getting Bacteria?
- Rinse the sponge properly after every use
- Ensure the bath sponge get stored in a dry and well-ventilated area. For example, near a fan or window and away from the shower or tub
- When machine or dish washing, add the bath sponge and let it run for sometime
- Replace the bath sponge every month or after some few weeks with a new one
- Before your next use of the bath sponge, ensure that it gets completely dry. Keep in mind that synthetic ones dry faster than those made with natural materials
- You should disinfect the bath sponge after some few days. Dilute some bleach and soak it in for about five minutes. If your bath sponge is synthetic, fill a gallon with warm water and mix it with ¾ cup of bleach and soak it for some time. But if it gets made with natural fibers, the bleach should be ¼ cup in a gallon full of cool water.
- Zapping the bath sponge in the microwave to sterilize it. Ensure it contains no metal components before putting it in the microwave, and it should stay inside until just before steaming. If dry, microwave it for minimum of 30 seconds, but if wet, let it stay for about one to three minutes.
- Don’t use your bath sponge after shaving for a few days. If you get a cut or any type of nick, bacteria get to use it to enter your skin. After using the bath sponge, the same bacteria get transferred into it.
- Avoid using your bath sponge inside your genital area and on your face. Sensitivity is very high on these areas and they are prone to infection easily.
As illustrated above, a bath sponge shouldn’t get to be of any threat if well taken care of and sterilized. But you could be wondering why you get to choose a bath sponge instead of a brush. Both are useful when bathing or showering and comes with different purposes. Check out their differences here in below;
What are the Differences between a Bath Sponge and a Brush?
A brush gets used in dry brushing where the body gets rubbed over gently to stimulate blood circulation and remove dead cells on the skin just before bathing. The process gets renown as dry exfoliation. But a bath sponge gets involved in a wet exfoliation because water gets involved.
To avoid irritation, soft bristles get used in making a brush. It also gets designed to enhance easy holding when using. A brush can get made using either natural or nylon bristles. Others come with long handles to reach the back and areas hard to clean. Bath sponges also come in various designs and gets made with natural or synthetic materials. You get to choose either a brush or bath sponge depending on your skin type, climate, age, and preference.
You wouldn’t go for dry brushing if your skin is older or sensitive. If your skin gets irritated easily or is thin, you may consider going for wet exfoliating. Also, if you live in a dry area like in an arid environment, wet exfoliation gets suited for to moisturize your dry skin. But those living in humid areas, or have oilier or younger skin get suited to use dry brushing.
When you use a brush on your body, the skin plumps up. In return, you get unable to shed many dead cells from the skin. Both the bath sponge and brush stimulates blood circulation, but the brush also promotes the lymphatic drainage. Both removes the dead cells from the skin, but a bath sponge makes the skin soft. Also, some body parts are so sensitive to use a brush. For example, the area around the chest, face, and décolletage. A bath sponge gets more ideal on such areas.
The brush and bath sponge are both useful while bathing, but with a slight difference in purpose. You get free to choose either if it fits you. The market gets flooded with a variety of both the brush and bath sponges. But you may not be aware of the kind of bath sponges available in the market today. They include the following;
What Type of Bath Sponges are there in the Market Today?
i. Natural Materials Bath Sponges
Pure natural materials get used in their making
ii. Synthetic Bath Sponges
Artificial materials get used in their making
iii. Natural and Synthetic Bath Sponges
Both natural and artificial materials get used in making these bath sponges. For example, you may find a bath sponge with a wooden handle and a synthetic scrubbing material.
iv. Marine Sponge Bathes
Materials found in the waters get used in making such bath sponges
Bath sponges comes in different types as illustrated above, but they also vary in shape. Are you wondering what shapes come with bath sponges? Check out the following;
What Shapes Do Bath Sponges Come With?
You will get surprised of the bath sponge shapes available in the market. They are countless, but here are the popular ones;
- Pumpkin ball mesh
- Straw berry
- Cartoon themed
- Colorful ball
- Rose flower
Bath sponges may come in different types and shapes, but what happens when you are done with them? Do you re-use or recycle them? Let’s find out.
Can You Recycle Bath Sponges?
It depends with the type of material used in making the bath sponge. If the sponges are oil-based, you cannot recycle them. But you get allowed to become creative and re-use them. But sponges made with 100% cellulose are completely compostable, biodegradable, and can get reused. Consider the eco-focused bath sponges when purchasing one. Healthier sponge alternatives reduce the landfill waste. But before you dispose your bath sponge, how long should you use it? Continue reading for insight.
How Long Can You Use a Sponge Bath Before Disposal?
It is okay to take a bath, and especially after a grueling workout or long day. But before you pick your bath sponge and start scrubbing your body, ask yourself whether it needs replacing. Always remember when you bought it to estimate the time used. If you don’t remember, then you might have used it too long. And do you know what it means? That you might have created a home and breeding place for bacteria in that bath sponge. Whether your bath sponge is a loofah, synthetic mesh pouf or something else, you should change it regularly.
Always wring a bath sponge after bathing to get rid of the excess water. Then hang it to dry in a well-ventilated place. Natural bath sponges like sea sponges or loofahs dry slower than the synthetic ones. According to the dermatologists, a loofah should get thrown out after3 – 4 weeks. It is because bacteria grows in it crevices easily. Besides, its exfoliating properties will have gotten lost by that time. But a mesh bath pouf can go up to eight weeks before its disposal because it resists bacteria. But to be on the safe side, you need to disinfect it after every few days.
You are now aware of everything you need to know about a bath sponge and are ready to purchase one. But before you do that, consider the following factors;
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Bath Sponge.
Consider if you need a soft or coarser texture. Mesh bath sponges come with a soft texture while sea sponges contain a coarse texture
b. Soap Type
Body gels and soaps work well in most bath sponges. But others work great with bar soaps alone. Go for a bath soap that suits the kind of soap you use. You may also read here on the best soap for hard water.
Bath soaps come in different sizes. Go for the size that suits you.
Different shapes gets designed for bath soaps depending on certain aspects like the age of the user. Some come as heart, oval, ball, fruits, and cartoon shaped for the kids. Consider a shape that suits you.
Are you the type that loves color? May be you don’t. Go for the color of your preference. If you don’t prefer color, consider bath sponges that comes with no color
Some bath soaps comes with heavenly scents while others are odorless. Go for what suits you.
If you are the trendy type of person, consider the sleek bath sponges available. Otherwise, you may just need to consider the general designs.
Some bath soaps gets made with natural materials while others with man-made. Consider what you prefer.
Bath sponges gets made based on many factors that leads to a difference in pricing. Consider your pocket and go for what you can afford.
Since bath sponges gets recommended to get replaced after a short time, you may need to consider a bath sponge that can be easily available and accessed.
Repair your Mesh Bath/Shower Sponge
Bath sponges are essential bathroom accessories that come with a bunch of benefits as explained above. But they are of different types, shapes, colors, and get made using various materials. As a result, choosing one can be like an uphill task. But you can choose one from the list of the best bath sponge illustrated above as a starting point.
How to Sanitize a Bath Sponge
Tonya asked: Do bath sponges hold bacteria? The mesh bath sponges that people buy, use and reuse to keep washing their body with. How long should you use them, and how do you clean them?
Whenever it may occur, moisture and warmth invites bacteria growth. Loofah and netted sponges are the biggest culprit. Their large holes hold onto dead skin cells, which provide food for the growing bacteria. They also hold moisture which allows the bacteria to grow. Fortunately, cleaning the sponge regularly cuts back the amount of bacteria dramatically. It’s easy to do.
You Will Need:
- Bucket or sink
Steps to Clean and Disinfect a Bath Sponge:
- Fill the bucket or sink with one gallon of water.
- Add ¾ cup of bleach for synthetic sponges or ¼ cup for natural sponges.
- Place the sponge into the mixture.
- Allow it to soak for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove and rinse completely with water.
- Squeeze and shake out as much of the excess water as possible.
- Allow the sponge to air dry completely.
Additional Tips and Information
- Allow your sponge to dry in a well-ventilated area each day.
- Natural sponges take longer to dry than man-made sponges. Be sure to keep them in an open area where the air can reach all areas.
- Replace your sponges regularly to keep bacteria and mold at a minimum. Replace natural sponges every 3-4 weeks and synthetic sponges about every 8 weeks.
- Avoid stuffing sponges into a hanging mesh bag or compartment on a shower caddy. They need good air flow to dry out completely.
- In addition to bacteria, mold can develop. Both of these can lead to skin rashes if not maintained.
- Many people toss their bath sponges in the laundry weekly to clean and sanitize them. Simply wash as normal with laundry detergent. Do NOT dry them in the dryer though, as the heat can melt them. Only do this in a cold water or warm water wash as well; the hot water cycle could also cause them to melt.
Summer Infant Comfy Bath Sponge
- Slip-resistant material for safe bathing
- Foam cushion can be used in sinks, baby bath tubs, and adult tubs
- Quick drying foam allows for fast clean up
- Contoured shape, cushioned edges, and a slight incline support baby’s head, neck, and back
HOW TO GIVE YOUR NEWBORN BABY A SPONGE BATH
- A: Cleaning a tiny baby for the first time could be scary for new moms, but it’s not that bad.
- Follow these steps and you’ll be an old pro in no time.•
- To be safe, gather all your supplies together before you begin: mild baby soap, cotton balls, two washcloths, towel, a clean diaper, and clean clothes. You should never take your hand off your baby while you’re bathing him, even for a second.•
- Fill the sink or a small bowl with lukewarm water; you’ll be bathing your baby next to it on the counter. Undress baby and wrap him in a towel. Some babies freak out when they’re naked and cold. If this is the case for your newborn, expose only one section of skin at a time.
- Dip a cotton ball in the water and wipe your baby’s eyes, from the bridge of his nose outward. Use a fresh ball for each eye.
- Always keeping one hand on baby, dip the washcloth in the sink. Keep the washcloth just damp, not soaking, to minimize drips and the possibility of getting soap into baby’s eyes. Wipe his face and outer parts of his ears with the damp cloth. You don’t need to use soap on his face.
- Lightly soap the washcloth if desired. Wash his neck and scalp, then work your way down the front of his body. Make sure to clean between folds of skin.
- Rinse the soap off with a second damp cloth, drying and rewrapping your baby with a towel as you go. Don’t wash the umbilical stump, and try to keep it dry.
- Flip baby over onto his belly with his head turned to one side. Repeat the washing, rinsing and drying. Wash his bottom and genitals last. If your son hasn’t been circumcised, don’t try to push back his foreskin. Pat baby dry, then dress him in a clean diaper and clothes.You’ll only need to give your baby sponge baths until his umbilical cord stump comes off (usually no later than 3 or 4 weeks), then you can move on to baths in his baby tub.