What are the best automotive tools? Having a passion for cars is one thing, but possessing the knowledge to diagnose and repair them is an entirely different pursuit. Even if you have that know-how, it won’t do much good if you don’t have a comprehensive and high-quality set of tools to use. There’s a wide range of tool manufacturers who offer very similar products in a variety of materials, configurations, and prices, so it’s important to know the differences and similarities so you can find the tool set that best fits your needs. Whether you like to wrench on your project car on weekends or make your living as a full-time automotive technician, here are the 10 best automotive hand tool sets and the Best automotive tool set available today.
what are the best automotive tools
Best automotive tool set
10. Deko 168 Mixed
The relatively budget friendly Deko 168 Mixed (appx. $79) includes a decent variety of gear for use on your car, such as ratchets and sockets, but also a few items that should come in handy around the house, like pliers. Just don’t expect the quality of the bigger name brands here.
- Tape measure and level
- Makes a good gift for new drivers
- Best for light duties
9. Apollo Tools SAE
Compact, but still managing to incorporate some of the most essential items for car maintenance, the Apollo Tools SAE (about $20) is ideal for keeping in your glove box in case of a minor emergency. It may not help when it comes to addressing more serious mechanical issues, though.
- Very affordably priced
- Offered in metric as well
- Case can’t take a lot of abuse
8. Stanley 92-839 Black
You’d be hard-pressed to find a more durable collection than the Stanley 92-839 Black (around $77), which boasts a sleek chrome vanadium steel construction and laser etchings for easy size identification. Six- and eight-point sockets minimize fastener rounding and slipping, too.
- 99 pieces in total
- Reliably corrosion resistant
- Doesn’t include pliers or hammer
7. WorkPro 408 Heavy-Duty
There are very few tools you won’t find in the WorkPro 408 Heavy-Duty (around $200), a sprawling kit that includes everything from combination wrenches and hex keys to a hammer. Plus, it all comes nicely organized in a durable metal box that can sit atop a workbench.
- Three drawers and a top shelf
- Comfortable ratchet handles
- No deep sockets
6. Kobalt 227 Standard/Metric
Kits as big as the Kobalt 227 Standard/Metric (about $140) can be a hassle to manage, but this one includes a well-designed and rugged storage box to keep everything in its place. The pieces themselves sport laser-etched size markings, making it easy to find the one you need.
- Rapid one-button socket changes
- Guaranteed for life
- Drawers can be difficult to open
5. Craftsman 450 Piece
The massive Craftsman 450 Piece (about $207) is one of the biggest options out there, and features a four-compartment box full of ratchets and wrenches in every size. It’s a little pricey, but if you’re looking to pick up a lifetime’s worth of equipment in one go, this should cover it.
- Tons of driver heads
- Includes metric and sae sizes
- Trays have a tendency to spill
4. Stanley 201 Piece
The largest in this leading toolmaker’s line of sets for mechanics, the Stanley 201 Piece (about $92) would be a welcome addition to a professional workshop. A chrome vanadium steel construction ensures everything is reliably strong and durable.
- Also available in smaller options
- 6-point regular and deep sockets
- Size markings are hard to read
3. Crescent General Purpose
The Crescent General Purpose (about $93) is an updated version of the company’s best-selling 170-piece set, boasting a sturdier blow-molded case, Torx bit sockets, pliers, and longer wrenches with narrower heads for getting into tight spaces. The latter still offer plenty of torque.
- Sturdy acetate screwdrivers
- Meets ansi specifications
- Backed by satisfaction guarantee
2. DeWalt 205 Mechanics
A favorite among professionals and hobbyists alike, the DeWalt 205 Mechanics (about $128) provides enough gear for almost any automotive application. Unlike some options, it doesn’t bother with gimmicky items, including only those tools dedicated for work on vehicles.
- Sockets provide plenty of torque
- Ergonomic 72-tooth ratchet
- Also comes in 247-item version
1. Craftsman 50230
Offering a good balance of cost and contents, the Craftsman 50230 (around $109) is ideal for the DIY mechanic who needs something for routine maintenance. Among its offerings are one ratchet in each drive size and six combination wrenches in both inches and metric sizes.
- Two extension bars
- All parts are durable
- Great value for the price
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.