One of the pleasures of renting a home is having the freedom to leave all of the repairs to a landlord. If you’re a homeowner, you’re on the hook for any issues that may come up, such as a broken faucet or a hole in your drywall. You might dread having to do these basic repairs, but I can promise you that few things can match the satisfaction that comes from completing a repair with your own two hands. To do a job well, you’ll need good tools: not necessarily power tools like an electric screwdriver or cordless drill, but rather, the sort of basic toolkit full of good-quality hand tools that every homeowner or even a good tenant should own. So what is the Best beginner tool set and best home diy tool kit for you?
Our Top best beginner tool set
1. Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set – 170-Piece
When you need an urgent fix, it certainly helps when your repair tools aren’t too heavy to carry. The Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set is solidly built but doesn’t weigh a ton. Craftsmanship-wise, they’re incredible. Yet, some might be smaller for the industrial overkill. It’s the best choice for those with small and dainty vehicles for lighter mobile repairs.
Made from a heat-treated vanadium steel alloy, you will appreciate the smooth chrome finish having no obvious blemishes or flaws. The ratchets feel sturdy, and the screwdrivers have a well-constructed grip. The kit has well-constructed combo wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, and sockets. The slender body of the wrenches can tolerate at least moderate amounts of torque.
We find its folding plastic case pretty sturdy because it holds everything in place. However, the holsters are debilitatingly tight that it’s hard to get what you need instantaneously. Overall, it is a comprehensive set of tools every home would find very serviceable. From a usability standpoint, it has a good mix of different tools.
- Great value for money
- Improved durable storage case
- Versatile set of tools
- Light & Sturdy
- Case holsters are tight
best home diy tool kit
2. Stanley STMT71654 201-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
If you’re looking for an all-in-one mechanic toolset that comes in a compact, sturdy box, — the 201-piece mixed toolset of Stanley STMT71654 ticks the boxes. It comes with a Max-Drive design giving the set more torque. Similar to its contender Crescent, the tools of the kit are also forged from high-quality steel and chrome vanadium.
For the price and the number of pieces included, it’s a great kit. You get an extensive range of metric-sized sockets and drive tools, plus the most commonly used tools. All items meet the ANSI specifications. Their ratchets are solid and a bunch of screw heads. The sockets are all the sizes necessary for basic repairs, which works great with a few combination wrenches for good measure.
What’s most impressive about Stanley’s toolset is the rugged carry storage. Mobility-wise, it is really neat! Able to snap all the pieces in very securely is a BONUS! It takes all the pain of having to deal with the tools to fly all over the place in case you accidentally knock the case over. Overall, it’s one of the most reliable tool kit,— and you can’t beat having a lifetime warranty. Score!
- Reliable box that holds tools securely
- Lifetime warranty
- Excellent tool variety
- Ratchets are good but doesn’t last long.
3. Kobalt Standard (SAE) and Metric Mechanic’s Tool Set w/ Hard Case – 200-Piece
Kobalt’s 200-piece mechanic tool set is securely nestled in a blow-molded storage case, which is known to be a hard and resistant material against impact. The storage has a sturdy handle allowing you to hang it, and with a tri-fold frame, all the tools fit snugly in their spaces. They’re all quality made along with a nice variety of different sockets. Although, this kit is only for light mechanic work.
Just like its contenders, it’s also constructed from chrome vanadium steel and coated with professional grade polish. The markings of each tool are easily legible. The colors for metric/standard is clean and simple. Perhaps, the best highlight of this kit is Kobalt came out with a new 90-tooth gear Pro90 ratchet set. It’s a useful improvement offering better mobility in tight workspaces with a 4° precision swing.
Overall, whether for the hobbyist or the professional, you can’t beat the bang for your buck with this set. It has a good range of items which includes a variety of wrenches and sockets for your do-it-yourself projects. Plus, it is backed with a lifetime warranty.
- Best as a travel tool kit
- Made to last
- Organized storage frame
- Lifetime Warranty
- Not for bigger repair tasks
4. DEWALT DWMT72165 204 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
What’s impressive about DeWalt is they take ameliorating very seriously. They put a big effort into improving the tool design and construction to form a well-put-together mechanic’s toolkit. The set holds a large number of necessary tools, —so none will be left behind in times of repair or tweaking.
The ratchets, wrenches, and the sockets all feel substantial. The ratchet design which includes a quick release button is a stand-out feature. Might be heavier than most ratchets due to the extra material to the handles. Everyone who spends most of their time tweaking their cars know the convenience of the slim head ratchets. Moreover, it boasts a 72-tooth gear system, —making it easy to hold the sockets securely for high torque ratcheting.
Overall, the entire kit is definitely great. The quality of its craftsmanship is made to last. The sockets have etched markings that are easy to read. Handles are nicely shaped with knurled rings for non-slip gripping. The storage case has durable hinges and latches to make up with the real heft on the tools. It’s a great set for general maintenance around the house and for a bit of automotive work.
- Knurled handles for non-slip grip
- 72-tooth ratchet for high degree torquing
- Slim head ratchet design
- Rugged storage case
- Each tool is bulky and heavy
5. Craftsman 450-Piece Mechanic’s Tool Set
Craftsman is a well-respected manufacturer and has garnered so many loyal customers. It’s no surprise their products remain in demand. Now, take note this is
450 pieces weighing 42.2 lbs if you don’t mind flexing those biceps that’s fine. Good thing the storage has its built-in trays that slide out, making it easy to pick and store up tools on a workbench.
The tools are great for the diversity of Allen keys, sockets head and other stuff. That can come pretty handy for long-term use. Sadly, it lacks the essential tools like the pliers. Nevertheless, it’s a great place to start your tool collection. You’ll find that the storage isn’t really meant for transportation. The tools can dislodge from its place be all over the place if you lug and throw the box around.
For such a good price, this 450 piece tool set is one of the most elaborate kits that you can avail. From repair to installation job, this kit is bound to provide everything you’ll possibly need. You won’t be left with a job that will send you running to the store anymore. No wonder it is always on the list of the most recommended tool sets.
- Huge variety of tools/sockets
- Complete Allen key kit
- ineffective organization pattern
- No pliers included
6. JH Williams WSC-1390TB 1390-Piece Mammoth Tool Set
Yeeeppp, it’s not a typo, it’s literally a mammoth kit with 1,390 mechanic tools stuffed in it. You can imagine the diverse collection of sockets, spanners, and wrenches this kit offers. It’s like a treasure chest! This one got a variety of each tool, hammers, pliers, chisels, punches, Allen keys, screwdrivers and more. Heck! It’s almost 70% larger than most kits it’s difficult to list them all down.
Being a garage in a box, you gotta be a hardcore mechanic if you own a kit like this. It is literally made for complex repair and maintenance tasks. It even includes specialty items like saws, scrapers, gear pullers and more that you don’t find in other kits for industrial maintenance mechanics sake. All tools are in this set are made by Snap-on, so you know you can trust the quality that makes up for the price of this enormous kit.
Of course, it comes in two top-chest storage cabinets on wheels which can be a side cabinet as well. The other is a smaller rolling three-drawer tool cart. Both are specifically designed to home each tool, we are talking about 35 drawers! It’s all exciting until you see the price. But, with that number of tools for the amount of use it is for, it’s worth it.
- A garage in a box in fractional and metric sizes
- Too expensive
7. Klutch Mechanic’s Tool Set – 305-Pc., 1/4in.-, 3/8in.-and 1/2in.-Drive, SAE and Metric
If vanity is masculine, Klutch Mechanic’s tool set is definitely spot on. Klutch is definitely showing how quality-centered they are by this kit alone. You get a comprehensive set of essential tools for both home and automotive tasks. But, the best feature of this great set of tools are the stunted combination wrenches meant for getting into smaller spaces.Most mechanic tools nowadays are made from chrome vanadium steel construction, but what sets this set apart is its sockets. Built with Surface Drive Technology™ to reduce stripping, it’s not common in other sets. All of its ratchets are built with the push-button for quick release. The only thing important that is missing is the Torx drivers, which is a very commonly used tool.
Another thing that may or may not appeal it you is it doesn’t come with a storage case. Overall, it almost has everything to get the job done. With great quality, each piece of the tools has, —Even without storage case, it’s a good set of tools for the money. The set is spot on in terms of durability and quality, which is why it’s still one of the best products in the market. Plus backed with a lifetime warranty.
- Well-thought construction and durability.
- Backed by a lifetime guarantee
- No Case whatsoever
- No torx drivers
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.