Deciding on the best Canon camera for photography for you can be tricky – with a huge range of options, ranging from DSLRs to compacts, Canon has models in most camera sub-genres. Luckily, we’ve rounded up the finest options for the Best Canon Camera For Photography from its extensive catalogue, including both new models and great value legacy ones.
Whether you’re just starting out or looking for your next professional workhorse, there’s a very good chance that an option with a Canon EOS or PowerShot camera will fit both your needs and budget.
The company is best known for its EOS DSLRs, but it maintains a collection of powerful compact cameras and has also now notched up many mirrorless offerings that rival, and sometimes beat, their DSLR cousins for performance
Best Canon Camera For Photography
1. Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera
The Canon EOS R is a mirrorless digital camera featuring a high resolution of 30.3 megapixels along with a full frame CMOS sensor. The assembly of a full frame CMOS sensor powered by a DIGIC 8 image processor offers a wide range of native ISOs that go up to 102400. The sensitivity range is quite exquisite in this powerhouse. You can also record videos in 4K at 30 frames per second.
The fast, continuous shooting of images is capped at 8 frames per second. This offers a great bundle of images that are generally useful when it comes to shooting a time-lapse. Canon chose to include a redeveloped lens mount along with an updated full frame image sensor to deliver a unique and sophisticated output through this camera. The ultra-high definition video recording maintains a uniform pixel density throughout the video with a ratio of 3840 x 2160.
This bundle includes only the body of the mirrorless EOS R camera. The EF mount adapter also comes with the package and comes in handy whenever there’s another lens that you want to attach to the camera. Those lenses might not be custom-made specifically for this mirrorless camera and can be mounted onto other Canon cameras. A Class 10 SD card included in the package can transfer data at a rate of up to 90 megabytes per second and is worth 64 gigabytes to help you store photos and videos faster.
Also included with this camera is the E6 charger which charges the lithium-ion battery that runs this rig. The Altura neck strap is useful for taking steady and sharp photos which prove its worth whenever you’re on the go. So you won’t need to put this camera back in the bag when you’re not using it.
The package also contains a microfiber lens cleaning cloth to be able to always get a crystal clear picture. You may also use the cloth to sweep the display screen. An Altura 62” monopod also accompanies this bundle, which offers you a lot more than just the body of the camera. The full-frame CMOS sensor consists of a dual pixel autofocus system that lets you select up to 5,655 autofocus points manually. The entire package is priced at $1,999.
- This camera can record any video in 4K at 30 frames per second using C-log with a 10-Bit HDMI Output line.
- This camera also boasts the latest DIGIC 8 processor.
- The CMOS sensor is equipped with Dual Pixel technology to automatically focus on your subjects. It has 5,655 autofocus points.
- The OLED electronic viewfinder is another great addition to this compact powerhouse.
- The LCD touchscreen is 3.15 inches, which is slightly smaller than the previous edition’s display screen.
- The ISO in this camera is expandable up to 102400 which is extremely helpful when it comes to shooting videos or photos in low light areas.
- This camera is also equipped with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology, making it easier for users to transfer pictures or videos to their mobile devices as a backup or upload on social media without having to connect to a computer.
- There’s also a multifunction bar available on top of the LCD display for you to change the settings according to the surrounding that you’re in and depending on the kind of photo that you want to click. For shooting a timelapse, you can go down to 8 frames per second if you shoot continuously in burst mode.
- The weight of the camera is 7.9 lbs.
The Camera Bundle Includes:
- One Canon EOS R Camera (only the body, without the lens).
- One Altura photo sling backpack.
- One Altura photo pro DSLR monopod.
- One Altura photo neck strap.
- One Altura photo wrist strap.
- One SanDisk 64 Class 10 SD card.
- One Altura photo cleaning kit.
CHECK THE CHEAPEST PRICE ON AMAZON!
2. Canon EOS 6D Mark II
The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is a mirrored digital camera unlike the previous one on our list, featuring 26.2 megapixels along with a full frame CMOS sensor. The assembly of a full frame CMOS sensor powered by a DIGIC 7 image processor offers a wide range of native ISOs up to 40000.
The dynamic range is splendid in this digital single lens reflector (DSLR) camera, which can record videos in as much as 1080p at 60 frames per second. Continuous shooting of images is capped at 6.5 frames per second, giving you the liberty to shoot as many pictures as you want to make a timelapse out of a certain event. The Canon lens available with the 6D Mark II comes with a 24mm to 105mm focal length along with an updated full frame image sensor to deliver a unique and sophisticated output.
The high definition video recording keeps a uniform pixel density throughout the video with a ratio of 1920 x 1080. The optical viewfinder is equipped with a 45-point all-cross autofocus system. In addition, the working temperature of this camera is between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius.
The inclusion of phase detection while recording videos at 1080p makes this camera a worthy contender in the list of the best Canon cameras. You can record videos at 1080p at 60 frames per second for slow-motion shots as well.
Once you’re done recording, you can slow it down to 24 frames per second to view smooth and seamless result. The dual pixel CMOS autofocus feature is one of the best in the market right now. Even though this variant is almost a year and a half old, the value for money that it offers is like no other camera.
The design is compact and rugged which is suitable for all kinds of weather. The body of the 6D Mark II is water resistant, but that doesn’t mean you can dip it into water and shoot for long hours. Sensitive parts are completely sealed for non-stop performance even in the extremes of weathers. A dual pixel CMOS sensor is combined with phase detection to offer rapid and precise autofocus while recording live events or shooting a documentary.
This camera also boasts in-built Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC technology to ensure faster, smoother and more efficient transfer of data. The inclusion of NFC and Bluetooth assists with hassle-free copy-pasting of images and videos. This comes in handy when you review your footage on a bigger display in order to check if you’ve captured all the elements you intended to shoot in that particular frame.
The camera also has a low light sensitivity point set to EV -3 at the center of the point of autofocus. The angle-adjustable display screen is 3.2” wide and is good enough to showcase everything that’s present in the frame, mostly while recording videos.
- The Canon 6D Mark II comes with a 26.2 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor along with phase detection.
- Phase detection is useful when you constantly perform focus racking, which is when you desire a smooth shift of focus from one subject to the other.
- The optical viewfinder is equipped with a 45-point autofocus visible all across the display screen.
- The working temperature is between 0 to 40 degree Celsius.
- This camera can record videos up to 60 frames per second at 1080p (Full HD).
- This system works on a DIGIC 7 processor.
- The camera also has in-built Wi-fi, Bluetooth and NFC technology for smooth and efficient data transfer.
- It can shoot in low light areas thanks to the settings being dialled down to EV -3.
- The camera can shoot up to 6.5 frames per second to capture beautiful time-lapse moments.
- The system also has an in-built GPS for content creators so that they can tag their location and directly upload it on social media using Wi-Fi.
- This camera’s ISO range is between 100-40000.
- It is dust and water resistant, with the sensitive parts of this camera being sealed so that one doesn’t need to compromise on the performance while shooting in challenging weather.
- The LCD touch screen can turn around as per your convenience while shooting.
- The camera weighs a meagre 1.69 lbs.
- This camera is priced at $2,199.
CHECK THE CHEAPEST PRICE ON AMAZON!
3. Canon EOS RP Mirrorless Digital Camera
This tiny powerhouse is a full-frame mirrorless digital camera boasting 26.2 megapixels and stacked with the new DIGIC 8 processor to give you ultra high definition 4K video. The portable camera is suitable for all kinds of lighting conditions with the ability to record in 4K with a wide range of sensitivities from ISO 100 to 40000 to deliver optimal output.
The camera is extremely compact and flexible in its appearance when it comes to its form factor. According to their website, the Canon EOS RP Mirrorless Digital Camera is their most compact EOS model till date.
This camera bundle is quite similar to the Canon EOS R. Included in this package is the E17 charger which charges the camera’s LP E17 lithium-ion battery. The Altura neck strap is useful for taking steady and sharp photos and comes in handy at times when you’re travelling.
The package also contains a microfiber cleaning cloth for a crystal clear picture. You can also use the cloth to clean the display screen. An Altura 62” monopod adds immense value to the package while a a dual pixel autofocus that lets you select up to a whopping 4799 autofocus points.
You get splendid results with the feature and creative assistant functions of this camera. Canon has perfected its tutorial modes in their newer cameras. These functions help amateur photographers get the best picture or video. The camera’s low light photography is also quite exceptional owing to the DIGIC 8 processor. You can also easily change the settings using a mode dial that makes toggling between different features an easy task. The compact size enhances the grip that you get on this featherweight camera. Its lightweight design shouldn’t be mistaken with fragility as this particular model is far from it.
The new RF lenses have created a stir in the market just like the EF and EF-S ones did when they first came out. You can even be a lot more creative with your craft when you’re using RF lenses on this mirrorless mammoth, again not by size but in terms of performance. The fast and accurate autofocus is a trademark of Canon and no other company has come closer to what this manufacturer has to offer.
Although it doesn’t possess the traditional viewfinder, after spending some time with the camera one can easily adapt to its unique nature. The processor’s power and speed compete with the Canon 6D Mark II, making it one of the best Canon cameras out there at the moment.
Along with a portable size, this camera comes with a strong grip for you to be able to hold the camera even in the most risky situations. The touchscreen LCD display is an added bonus with its 45-degree tilt factor. This helps you in looking at the screen even when you’re shooting something sideways.
According to a review, the person did not intend to buy the Canon EOS RP Mirrorless digital camera. This was because he already had a Canon 5D Mark IV. The operation, according to him, for this model was as easy as a point and shoot. The primary reason that made him purchase this bundle was because he couldn’t travel conveniently along with the 5D Mark IV. Instead, he chose to the EOS RP and its pristine RF lenses.
In the bargain, he got a camera that could focus better than the previous one. The electronic viewfinder was also a lot better than that of the Canon 5D Mark IV. The auto silent mode is something he wasn’t a fan of and believed that the silent shutter option should’ve been made available in a manual mode as well.
The battery also seemed relatively unimpressive as compared to the Canon 5D Mark IV, with just above 300 images being captured in a single charge, which is only when one doesn’t review their pictures and use the LCD display screen a lot. The overall design of the camera combined with some great features makes this camera stand out as one of the best ones from Canon in the market right now.
- The Canon EOS RP digital camera comes with a 26.2 megapixels CMOS sensor that records videos and shoots photos with fast and accurate autofocus.
- The new DIGIC 8 processor is what powers this system. The exceptional clarity achieved by this camera in low light surroundings is noteworthy.
- A better autofocus system than the Canon 5D Mark IV. This camera also has an improved optical electronic viewfinder for you to get the best results by enabling you to clearly monitor the area of focus with a high quality glass finish.
- This camera can also be considered to be a beginner’s guide to a full-frame camera which certainly helps budding photographers and videographers understand what a full-frame sensor demands from them while clicking a picture or shooting videos. The simple transition from a point and shoot is what makes the EOS RP easy to use.
- You can shoot videos in ultra high definition 4K at 30 frames per second.
- The electronic viewfinder is 2.36 metres long. The OLED display of the viewfinder makes the images look clean.
- The 3” vari-angle touchscreen LCD display is also good addition to this powerhouse. It helps you when you shoot in an awkward position and need to see a live preview. You can easily turn the display screen around and monitor the shot that way.
- The dual pixel CMOS sensor is enabled with autofocus technology and has 4779 autofocus points.
- The ISO sensitivity range is between 100-40000.
- Continuous shooting of pictures can go up to 5 frames per second.
- The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth together make this a content creator’s dream camera, which allow the user to share their images and videos directly by transferring the data on to their mobile devices and finally uploading on social media.
- This camera is moderately heavy as compared to the other ones on the list and weighs around 7.5 lbs.
- This camera bundle is priced at $1299.
The Camera Bundle Includes – (The Same As Eos R)
- One Canon EOS RP Camera (Only the body, without the lens).
- One Canon mount adapter EF-EOS R.
- One Altura photo sling backpack.
- One Altura photo pro DSLR monopod.
- One Altura photo neck strap.
- One Altura photo wrist strap.
- Two SanDisk 64 Class 10 SD cards.
- One Altura photo cleaning kit.
- One microfiber lens cleaning cloth.
Here is a link that takes you to the Amazon page of this particular product. Make sure you double-check each specification before adding this camera to your cart.CHECK THE CHEAPEST PRICE ON AMAZON!
4. Canon DSLR Camera EOS 80D
Its 45-point all-cross autofocus feature is great for photographers to capture beautiful images. This is one of the most versatile cameras currently available for any possible purpose. You can carry it anywhere you want and capture all sorts of shots.
It has a very intelligent viewfinder and more features that realize what your demand is and help capture beautiful images according to your need by focusing with utmost precision. It can even be used by professionals dedicated to capturing action shots.
Canon EOS 80D shoots up to 7.0 fps continuously, which is great for all kinds of sports events that require constant operation. What makes the experience even better is its dual pixel CMOS AF feature that enhances both focusing and smooth tracking in a live view all at once. All these help obtain perfect results in the most user-friendly way possible.
For shooting different events that require varying focus points, Focus Racking helps in smoothly transitioning from one focus point to another while the video is being recorded. With this, you attain a well shot, high quality picture where the focus is on all the right places at the right time with no important movements or portions missed out by the viewer, which provides quite a realistic experience.
A 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor is known for high-resolution images and the DIGIC 6 Image Processor delivers excellent processing speed. And to top it all off, the camera has a wide ISO range which offers brilliant results even in low light surroundings.
To make the photographer’s life easier, this camera comes with a convenient built-in wireless system that shoot remotely using Canon’s camera connect app. This feature can prove extremely useful for wildlife photographers who risk their lives and travel to the most dangerous areas of the jungle to capture the reality of life. This can also reduce the risk and provide professional photographers with their desired results.
The 80D would score less points than the 70D if compared with the latter in terms of sensitivity range. The ISO battle is won by the 70D since there’s a significant 25% increase in pixel density when it comes to the 80D. The autofocus feature, on the other hand, is 80D’s strength.
There was an experiment conducted with these cameras using skateboarders in order to test the 45 point autofocus feature. The results were surprisingly reliable. The 45 point autofocus tracks the subject accurately and gives optimum results in the form of breathtaking videos and photos.
The display on the 80D is well built. The LCD screen can get a lot brighter than the other cameras on this list, which helps you look at its live preview easily even in the sunniest of weathers. The 80D’s lens view covers up to 100% of the entire screen whereas the 70D is still stuck at 98%. Using various settings on the dials, you can change accordingly and shoot under several creative filters.
The touchscreen control over the menus and other options make the task of toggling around easy and simple. Once you use the camera for a little while, you can automatically speed up this process by saving the information. You can keep your preferred settings under a certain kind of light by just clicking on that option in the menu, which automatically changes the option without any delay.
This camera is equipped with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) up to 4 stops. Optical Image Stabilization is the process of stabilizing whatever you capture, be it photo or video, and give it a smooth and seamless look.
For example, if you capture a tracking shot where your subject is walking on a rather uneven surface, you too are probably walking on that surface behind the subject or in front. While doing so, the camera automatically stabilizes the image in the camera so that when you copy the clip to your computer and work on it, you would get a smooth and considerably less shaky footage.
- The 3” touchscreen LCD display is big enough for you to review your footage right after capturing it. It can also get a lot brighter than your average camera for you to easily view it in places with an abundance of natural light.
- This camera boasts a 24.2 megapixels camera with a CMOS sensor. This CMOS sensor is not full-frame but APSC, or crop frame.
- This camera can record videos sized up to 1920 x 1080 at 30 frames per second (full HD).
- The camera comes packed with Wi-Fi which enables you to share files immediately and even when you’re on the go.
- This camera weighs 3.8 lbs and is priced at $949.
CHECK THE CHEAPEST PRICE ON AMAZON!
5. Canon EOS Rebel T7i
This is one of the most commonly-used professional cameras known for being extremely easy to handle and use. Its highly customizable package lets you capture exactly what your eyes see. Its brilliant image quality would definitely improve your photography experience. Its various features make it one of the most convenient and dependable camera models currently available in the market.
Its 45-point all-cross autofocus is great for beginners to get a deeper understanding regarding the control of the camera and on how to capture mesmerizing images. Its feature assistant explains every necessary feature and provides them with a convenient way to learn, which is great for people new to photography.
To capture the moment before it’s gone and keep it alive and fresh in our memory for all eternity, its fast autofocus and quick processing capture up to 6.0 frames per second. Not only that, but the EOS Rebel T7i has the world’s fastest autofocus that clocks in at just 0.03 seconds.
To make the photographer’s life more convenient, this camera also lets you focus at any area of the image with just one click anywhere across the screen. A single touch is all it takes to clean and clear photograph or video instantly and obtain the desired results. In addition, all these images can be transferred easily using built-in WifI, NFC and Bluetooth.
To create the most beautiful images, this camera consists of a 24.2 megapixels CMOS (APS-C) sensor and DIGIC 7 Image processor, which together capture the essence of reality and portray it in a stunning picture in the most detailed and colorful way possible, making each image captured worth a thousand words. It is the best way to catch the beauty and hustle-bustle of the world around us. Even in low light, the camera’s variable-angle touch LCD lets you see what the lens sees and captures the perfect shot.
Compared to various other DSLRs available in the market, this model is quite small and compatible. Its lightweight quality makes it convenient to carry along wherever you go. The buttons are perfectly placed to enhance your experience and make it easier to use the camera without any difficulty with first understanding the functioning of the camera.
There are various modes to use while you are shooting. Each one has its characteristics and can be considered as a perfect option for a specific situation or requirement. The various automatic and manual modes make the camera a versatile and easy-to-use device. This feature is great for people who like travel photography or capturing the tiny, memorable moments of their daily lives.
One aspect of this product that may be considered supremely convenient by photographers everywhere is its fully-articulating LCD screen which can be flipped up and down and to any side according to the user’s requirements. This comes in handy when it isn’t possible to see through the viewfinder for extremely low angle shots or taking images from high up.
The Canon EOS REBEL T7i captures from wherever you’re standing and from every possible angle without compromising on the quality of the image. It can even take interesting shots for videos once you learn how to play around with the screen and attain unique results.
It is great to have touch screen capability that may not seem like a lot at first. But once you start using the camera, you begin to realize the importance of this feature. With just one click, you can change your settings and view the results.
Moreover, you can easily autofocus and capture cinematic images and videos. This camera is great for beginners as it lets you click professional images and teaches you a lot about how to make them better while saving a lot of time, which in turn gets you more productive results.
The camera can be considered as a near-flawless design that permits you to snap almost everything in the smoothest way possible and provides brilliant results. It can be used for leisure purposes or professional applications either way, with great results and a convenient handle.
As the cherry on the cake, its burst mode is to die for. It has a great upgrade to 6 frames per second so you won’t miss any moment worth capturing. This feature is pretty quick for a camera available at this price and is fast enough for capturing sports events or other shots which have certain time constraints.
This camera is highly recommended for cinematographers since it has a lot of essential tools that include 1080p recording at 60 frames per second that attains beautiful slow-motion clips.
This is a feature that can prove useful in making the lives of busy professionals easier. For beginners too, it is immensely helpful when it comes to autofocus for those who aren’t yet accustomed to manual focus. This helps them shoot in whatever angle and location they want without compromising on the quality of footage obtained.
Another great feature is a dedicated microphone input on one side, which means that the user can add a shotgun mic on top and improve upon sound quality for professional projects. Lastly, a HDR feature and time lapse mode create unique and interesting videos that capture the attention of a larger audience.
There are a few cameras in the same price range with similar specifications, one of the examples being Canon 77D which was released around the same time and is also a fantastic camera for aspiring photographers. It has a similar way of usage with its dual pixel autofocus, but there are still certain differences, one of them being the LCD on top which provides essential information without the need to constantly look through the viewfinder.
Also, its scroll wheel is conveniently present at the back of the camera. Although there isn’t much that separates these two cameras, T7i is considered to be smaller and hence more portable. So for someone who likes to keep their camera around for whenever inspiration strikes, this may prove to be a better choice.
Another very similar model is the older version, T6i, which at the time of its launch was said to be one of the best cameras for beginners. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have dual pixel autofocus and instead uses hybrid autofocus. Other examples are the equally capable Canon 70D and 80D, but the T7i still has an upper hand over these models.CHECK THE CHEAPEST PRICE ON AMAZON!
6. Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera
Being one of the latest inventions in terms of cameras, this mirrorless camera does not require any reflex mirror considered to be a key component of DSLR cameras. The term mirrorless is used to describe ILCs that put into use electronic viewfinders or perhaps lack them altogether.
Its dual Pixel CMOS AF is one of the most important elements that provides fast and extremely accurate autofocus that obtains images captured at the right moment which in turn results in beautiful shots. It has an incredible colour quality and clear details thanks to its DIGIC 8 Image Processor and 24.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor. The camera has an absolutely stunning range that captures 4K UHD videos with a beautiful cinematic look to them.
It can also be used to shoot full HD 1080p as well as slow motion effects using a high speed 120 fps in HD, thereby providing extreme diversity to the video and capturing the audience’s attention and giving them an unforgettable experience. Furthermore, this camera is extremely compact and easy to use, making it quite elegant to capture the inherent beauty that resides in the world around us in the most vibrant and impactful form.
A variable-angled touchscreen LCD allows the user to tilt in any direction to obtain interesting shots and capture both high and low angle shots without unnecessary trial and error. It has a special built-in high-resolution electronic viewfinder which captures highly-detailed images as approximately 2,360,000 dots.
To make your life easier, you can now automatically transfer your files to the required device so that all the work is backed up and ready for a convenient upload online with an automatic image transfer.This can be done with the camera connect app which facilitates the transfer of images to the required platform and allows direct sharing to social media sites. They can even be printed directly by connecting to a compatible printer. It allows a high speed and high precision autofocus with a full time manual mode that allows the user to make adjustments even after focusing.
The Canon EOS M50 is the camera that takes the M series by Canon to the next level. With Canon’s dual pixel CMOS sensor, the camera boasts autofocus phase detection that even clicks moving images clearly without any blur. Although it is priced at a rather inexpensive level as compared to the other series of Canon, this model still gets the exclusive treatment it deserves when it comes to production.
The camera falls in the mid-range category from a cost standpoint, even though the performance is totally off the charts. The continuous shooting can go up to 10 frames per second and drops down to 7.4 frames per second, which is still understandable given the specifications of this model.
Its quick and clear focus and wide autofocus let you concentrate on each and every part of the image and provide you with the desired results. Advanced subject tracking, which gives an overall superior image quality, is a good option that achieves beautiful images in any situation by capturing all the vibrant colours around you.
This camera also has a 1.6x crop factor when you switch to 4K, which makes you reposition yourself in order to accommodate everything in the frame. This might be a tedious process, but it is something that you will surely get used to after a while.
- With a 24.1 megapixels APS-C CMOS sensor, this camera can record videos at up to ultra high definition 4K at 25 frames per second.
- The camera is locked at only 25 frames per second.
- The camera is powered by the new DIGIC 8 processor that is energy efficient and extremely silent.
- The 143/99 point Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus tracks the subject with great precision and delivers a seamless output.
- There are 384 metering zones available in this model.
- The maximum image size one can get is 6000 x 4000.
- The ISO sensitivity range is between 100 to 25600. This enables the user to shoot in low light easily, but you need to be extremely careful about the noise it creates in an image. The pixels that accumulate at a certain point are really hard to get rid of post production.
- The touchscreen LCD display is 3” wide and is big enough to provide a live view of what’s being recorded.
- The Electronic viewfinder contains around 2360K dots for delivering the best possible picture to the user.
- The maximized burst mode can get a frame rate of 10 frames per second while clicking continuous photos. With the autofocus mode, you might get around at 7.4 frames per second.
- This camera is the lightest on our list and weighs around 0.86 lbs.
- This model is priced at $599.