Choosing the best craftsman tool set is not child’s play as there are a lot of things to consider. It is especially difficult if you are buying the set for the first time as you won’t know what tools have to be in the set to make it complete. Without the right information you may, therefore, end up with a toolset that does not properly satisfy your repair and maintenance needs and this will not only result in frustration but you will lose cash as well as you will have to buy another set to substitute the poor choice that you made in the first place.
craftsman mechanics tool set
Craftsman tool sets are not only incredibly versatile but also excellent to have around the home and office. Repair jobs in places that you frequent or live in can come up quite unexpectedly. Being prepared to face the worst with the correct tools is essential in ensuring you, your loved ones, and people around you are not harmed in any way. Most repair jobs require specific sets of tools and implements. Without the right equipment, the repair jobs that you do can fall apart instantly.
With so many options available in local hardware stores, it would be next to impossible to bring together a craftsman toolset that is perfect for you. There would be utter confusion leading to the purchase of the wrong tools. Apart from this, putting together a toolset of different components can mess up the aesthetics and functionality of the one you are trying to put together. It is always best to have all your tools of one brad and make so that it is easy to replace at a later date.
What to look for in a craftsman tool set?
Personal Need: You need to consider all the projects you would be working on. Having a fair idea will help you narrow your purchase ideas down.
Tools included: Three sized ratchets – ¼”, 3/8”, and ½” with wide socket ranges are ideal. Extension bars, combination wrenches, screwdrivers, nuts, bolts, Allen bolts, and pair of pliers should be present.
Measurement system: check beforehand which measurement system you prefer – SAE and metric.
Best Craftsman Tool Set
1. Craftsman Tool Set 230 Piece 50230 – Top Pick
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The Craftsman 230 piece 50230 is our top pick in this category if you are looking for a nice set of tools for your repair and maintenance duties. The tools are made of very strong steel and this gives them the strength and stability to handle complex jobs. They have a nice silver finish that makes them attractive and pleasing to the eye.
This set contains all the purpose tools that you need for your repair and maintenance duties such as ratchets, sockets, combination wrenches, extension bars, screwdrivers, and nut driver bits and as such, there is no job that this set of tools cannot handle.
The storage box is strong and sturdy and this ensures that your tools are protected from the elements all the time. The only negative thing that we noticed with this set was that the tools are held somehow loosely and this affected their ability to stay in place under pressure.Pros
- A variety of tools for every job.
- Strong tools for added durability.
- A strong case for better protection.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Magnetic handles.
- The tools are held loosely.
2. Craftsman Tool Set 165 pc # 38165 – The Runner-up
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The craftsman 230 narrowly edges out the craftsman 165 to top spot but it is still a great choice if you have some repair and maintenance duties to do. With a variety of tools and tool heads within the set, you can comfortably handle any job that comes your way. The tools have been properly marked and this makes it easy to pick the right tool for your jobs.
You, however, have to be careful when handling this set as the tools will fall out when the set is opened from the wrong side. You will, therefore, have to spend a considerable amount of time sorting the tools and getting them back to the set and this can be quite frustrating especially if you have an urgent task ahead.
The craftsman 230 is not our top pick in this category as we found the ratchet wrenches were a little bit too short to generate enough leverage.Pros
- It has all the sockets that you need.
- Strong and durable tools.
- Strong case.
- Ideal for both home and professional use.
- The ratchets are short.
- The plastic parts are delicate.
- Spills the tools if not opened properly.
3. Craftsman 108 Pc. 009-38108 Toolset – Best for the Money
Check Latest Price on Amazon
This is the best value for money set of tools that you can get if you are on a budget. The tools within this set are of the highest quality and as such, you will not feel out of place even when you are among professionals. The build of the tools is better than that of other brands and its accompanying case is decent enough to keep the tools in place and for added portability and organization.
The Craftsman 108, however, fails to make it to our top 2 as we found the tools not strong enough for heavy tasks. As a user, you will have to buy a stronger set for your heavy repair and maintenance duties and this introduces other costs that can be avoided with a strong and more reliable set. Otherwise, the craftsman 108 is a great set at that price.Pros
- Multiple tools for a variety of jobs.
- Easy to use.
- Decent carry case.
- Not ideal for heavy use.
- The plastic parts are not reliable.
- Lacks some vital tool elements.
4. Craftsman Evolv 83 Pc. Tool Combo (41283)
Check Latest Price on Amazon
A toolset is supposed to have enough tools for your repair and maintenance needs but with just 83 pieces, the Craftsman Evolv 83 falls short in this regard. You may, therefore, not be able to perform all your duties with ease as the limited number of tools determines what you can and cannot do.
The Craftsman Evolv 83 uses a carry bag instead of a workman’s box for storage and this makes the tools less secure. There is no standard arrangement of tools within the bag and this makes it easy to misplace and lose your valuable tools.
Of the toolsets highlighted in this review, the Craftsman Evolv 83 is the most visually appealing but if they were to perform as good as they look, maybe we would have loved them better.Pros
- Visually appealing.
- Carry bag for portability.
- The tools are not very strong.
- Some tools are small.
- Carry bag does not offer adequate protection.
- Easy to misplace the tools.
5. Craftsman Tool Set 270pc 12133
Check Latest Price on Amazon
Ease of use is one of the things that qualify a toolset as great but unfortunately, that is not the case with the Craftsman 270pc. This is because this set lacks adapters and reducers and this makes it difficult to use a socket with certain ratchets. Opening up the set for use is another struggle and this could lead to frustrations even before you get started on your job.
The carry box has several drawers for storing the tools and this makes this set quite cumbersome and difficult to carry around. The tools are also somehow heavy for the drawers and this makes it difficult to open them to retrieve the tools that you want.
The only positive with this set is the presence of a lot of tools but they count for nothing if you cannot use them for your repair and maintenance jobs with ease.Pros
- A lot of tools for different jobs.
- Difficult to use.
- Heavy to carry around.
- Lacks adapters and reducers for proper adjustments.
- Difficult to open the set.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.