It’s often said that you don’t need a drill bit; what you need is a hole. How you make that hole is up to you, but it’s a given that you want to make it as efficiently as possible. The drill bit, therefore, is built to match the diameter and length of the hole you want to make—as well as the material in which it works. And chances are good that you need more than one bit, you probably need at least a small set to make holes of various diameters. Today, we will be reviewing the Best drill kit options…
How To Select a Set
There’s no sense in getting bogged down in complexities of hole making–the fine points belong to industrial users. For the rest of us, all we really need to know are the basics. That’s why we separate out bits for making holes in wood, metal, masonry (concrete or stone), and tile/glass. Some of the drill bits do a pretty good job making holes in more than one material. Other than selecting a bit based on the material you’re drilling, keep in mind the quality of the hole you’re making. That sounds odd. A hole is a hole, right? Wrong, There’s a big difference between a perfectly round and smooth-walled hole for furniture making than a rough-and-ready hole made in framing lumber to fit a pipe or cable. So think about the material, the hole itself, and how you want to make it. Choose your set accordingly.
Big HolesIf you need to make large-diameter holes—something between ¾ inch and 4 inches, let’s say. You don’t want a drill bit, you want a hole saw. Even though these aren’t drill bits, we’ve included a set of these at the bottom of this review. It’s reasonably priced and can serve both homeowners and professional users.
Best drill kit
DEWALT DCD777C2 20V Max Lithium-Ion Brushless Compact Drill Driver
- Brushless Motor: Longer Motor life and 30 percent more runtime than brushed
- INCREASED VISIBILITY: Has built in LED with 20 second delay after trigger release
- Ergonomic Design : Compact (752 in front to back) and Lightweight (2.6 pounds) Design fits into tight areas
Check PriceWhy we like it: Combines a lightweight and compact design with more power than you would expect.Editor’s rating:
The first thing to note about this drill set is that it is very compact so it is able to fit in those really tight situations whenever necessary. The other advantage, of course, is its ability to remain compact and lightweight at just 2.6 pounds. But it is equipped with a high-performance motor and a two-speed range which suits it very well. What else is compact about this set is the 18-volt drill which punches well above its weight too. It also has built in LED with 20 second delay after trigger release. Comes with (1) DCD777 Compact brushless Drill/Driver, (2) Li ion Batteries, (1) Charger, and (1) hand carrying Kit bag.
Once again Dewalt has managed to fit a high-performance motor inside an ergonomic, compact design that facilitates lengthy run times in confined spaces. You can also use it on all of the common material surfaces such as metal, plastic, and wood for tasks like framing, installing a cabinet, or HVAC work. And besides, how could you resist the occasional DIY project as well? And it comes with no strings attached, just 2 Ni-Cad batteries requiring just an hour of charging time.2.
Black & Decker Lithium-Ion Drill and Project Kit
- Includes 20V Lithium drill for a variety of home projects
- Lithium Ion Battery – Always Ready, holds a charge up to 18 months
- Includes 66 hand tools and accessories
Check PriceWhy we like it: Everything about it is above par – performance, equipment, value for money – everything.Editor’s rating:
You would be amazed at the rate this drill set sells for when you find out it comprises of at least 109 individual components. We know the benchmark for electrical power on drill sets is 18 volts. This set from Black & Decker takes that number up to 20V. It is also independent of a power cord and its batteries are rechargeable. Left without use, a full charge will last up to 18 months. But we very much doubt that you will not be using it.
And there are a number of good reasons for that. Firstly, the drill bits that are part of the set can be used on all the usual surfaces like metal, plastic, and wood. The variety among the drill bits themselves is vast so they are suited for multiple applications. And let us not forget the storage bag that not only provides easy storage but makes the whole set quite portable as well. We cannot oversell this one. It exceeds all our expectations.3.
PORTER-CABLE Lithium-Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit
- 1/2 inch two speed drill/driver. High performance motor delivers 283 Units Watts Out and 0-350/0-1,500 RPM.
- Compact design 8.25 inch long and 3.5 lbs. Drill features an ergonomic handle design, LED light and bit storage
- 1/4 inch impact driver delivers 1450 in/lbs of torque, 0-2,800 RPM and 0-3,100 BPM. Quick load chuck for one handed bit…
Check PriceWhy we like it: Great value for money thanks to its immense power and virtually unlimited range.Editor’s rating:
A drill and driver is already a given with this drill set. Also, it is entirely cordless so there are no real shackles limiting where you roam with it. Just remember that with great power comes great responsibility. And that really is saying something considering the driver can generate up to 1450 inch pounds of torque, much higher than what most other drills and drivers are capable of. And you might imagine that this sort of power does not come cheap. Well, you are wrong, it does.
Both, the drill and driver, rely on lithium-ion rechargeable battery power. The drill can generate up to 283 units. A compact design overall helps it fit into tight spaces with ease. Both pieces have ergonomically designed handles to enhance comfort and lower fatigue on those hardworking hands. They also have LED lights to assist you in dimly lit conditions and bit storage. We reckon any professional craftsman will see eye-to-eye with it straight away. Recommended without reservation.SEE MORE
Best Dumbbell Sets4.
Makita Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit
- Compact, Powerful More Run Time
- Variable 2-speed 1/2″ Driver-Drill (0-400 & 0-1,500 RPM) with Makita-built 4-pole motor delivers 480 in.lbs. of Max…
- Variable speed Impact Driver (0-2,300 RPM & 0-3,200 IPM) provides 1,420 in.lbs. of Max Torque and weighs only 2.8 lbs….
Check PriceWhy we like it: You would be hard-pressed to find better value for money out there than you can with this.Editor’s rating:
What Makita has come up with here is a 18V compact lithium-Ion cordless combo kit made to the highest quality as can be expected from an expert craftsman. You get a compact and highly usable ½” driver-drill and a highly effective impact driver that weighs just under 3 pounds. Power comes from a 4-pole motor built by Makita delivering 1,420 in.lbs. of torque at 0-2,300 rpm, and 0-3,200 impacts per minute which are good enough for a wide range of tasks.
The Makita also has included a hammer and anvil impact system built from the best available raw materials along with the highest quality in steel and heat hardening to make it well fastened and very powerful. And did we happen to mention it offers all of these benefits at a very affordable rate? Power comes from a lithium-ion battery that is rechargeable and maximum torque has been registered at 1400 pounds. Now that may come across as a handicap but recharging time here is short and sweet, taking less than a half hour.5.
RYOBI P883 18V Super Tool Combo Kit
- CIRCULAR SAW: This cordless circular saw contains plenty of features that will keep you cutting true. It has a side…
- P271 POWER DRILL: This 1/2 inch chuck drill / driver comes equipped with a magnetic tray for bits and fasteners, a 24…
- P515 RECIPROCATING SAW: An anti-vibration handle, rubber overgrip, variable speed trigger, and easy blade removal latch…
Check PriceWhy we like it: It muscles off the price difference with the competition with some stellar features that cannot be ignored.Editor’s rating:
Unlike some of the other brands on this list, Ryobi comes across as a bit of an underdog, perhaps due in part to their drill set costing slightly more on the premium side. But the fact is, you do get plenty of returns on your investment. First off, there is the virtually unlimited mobility thanks to the cordless power setup. This combo kit is powered by a single rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The charger is included in the whole package.
Also included in the price is a tool bag which is a highly practical option for shifting the tools to separate locations of work. You also get a circular saw as well as reciprocating saw. As you can probably tell by now, this drill set is more than appropriate for working on house repairs, and construction. For dealing with dimly lit conditions, a work light is also included. So while it appears to cost more than most of its competitors, it has a lot of nifty features making it worth the price.6.
Bosch Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Driver
- POWER: Bosch DDS181A drill and driver provides innovative 18 Volt canned motor that’s more compact with the same torque…
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Bosch DDS181A drill/driver features lightweight and compact tough design with a 7. 0 Inch head length and…
- Torque and speed: This drill kit contains the Bosch 25618 cordless drill with 2 batteries (2. 0 Ah slim pack batteries);…
Check PriceWhy we like it: Features innovative and radically new technology that makes it highly maneuverable and powerful.Editor’s rating:
We know this one very well for being one of the best cordless combo kits. It’s easily maneuverable and powerful, two great assets to have at the workplace. It’s interesting to note that it has 2 powerhouses that give it an impressive power-to-weight ratio. There is the Bosch 25618 1/4-inch Hex impact driver and the Bosch DDS181A compact tough 1/2-inch drill/driver. The drill driver here contains a heavy-duty chuck also from Bosch that effectively prevents slippage when there is a high level of torque being applied.
There is also a uniquely designed canned motor, more compact than before but keeps up the power output to the standard amount of 18 volts. Torque from the drill is rated at 600-inch pounds of torque, not the highest you can find in the market but still ample for most tasks. The overall weight has been kept down to 3 and a half pounds. You get a lot more power from the impact driver, 1500 inch pounds to be precise, coming from a dual lithium-ion battery system which is supplied with a charger.SEE MORE
Best Dumbbell Sets7.
RWIN HANSON Drill Bit Deluxe Set
- Ideal for rethreading fasteners and fastener holes for auto and machinery repair
- Constructed of high carbon steel for durability
- Puts commonly needed taps, dies, drill bits, and extractors at your fingertips
Check PriceWhy we like it: Fantastically well-equipped and brilliantly made for the professional craftsman to enjoy.Editor’s rating:
Few products are as resourceful to a craftsman as this is, the RWIN HANSON drill set. And it did not just get that name for nothing. Within this set, you can find almost every component you might need for maintenance work as well as repairs from taps to hex dies and drill bits. The extent of tools available also include those that are ideal for threading a wide range of materials by hand. Made exclusively out of a high carbon version of steel, you get the level of precision that an expert craftsman would need on the job.
The set is well organized too and ergonomically designed. It is as much a joy to look at as it is to work with. All in all, there are 117 pieces. Let us now go over some of them. First, there is the machine screw, taps & dies, threading tools and accessories, die stocks both plain and adjustable, a set of 36 piece drill bits, a T-handle Tap wrench, a two-in-one tap wrench (1 quarter inch & 1 half inch), a 16 leaf metric thread gauge, an 18 leaf standard thread gauge, 5-piece screw extractor, and a screwdriver.8.
Tacklife PCD02B Drill Set
Product InfoCheck PriceWhy we like it: From one of the finest producers in the industry comes this ergonomically designed and very capable drill set.Editor’s rating:
Tacklife has a firm policy concerning its development of tools which is to enhance the quality of their products to enhance your quality of life. So how have they managed it with their PCD02B drill set? Well, let us find out. The power set up being used here is a dual speed transmission that applies for both drilling and driving. The low-speed setting produces masses of torque to help screw bigger bits in firmly. The high-speed setting uses less torque but a higher speed for better impact.
The forward/reverse switch is ergonomically positioned so that you can operate it using one hand. Torque is managed by a clutch and 19 gears so you can configure it better for specific bits. You also get a power indicator to keep you updated on battery capacity so you know precisely when to charge it up again. The overall profile is compact and lightweight making it more useful in the workplace. And there is an ergonomic carrying case for safe storage and portability.9.
Stalwart 75-PT1003 Speed Drill & Accessory Tool Set
- Kit includes: drill, Lithium Ion battery and charger (3-5 hr charging time), small flashlight – requires 3 AAA batteries…
- 12 drive sockets (4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm), rugged sturdy case, 4 flat head…
- Magnetic bit holder, adaptor for socket, 8 hex keys (1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm), 2 spade bits (13mm,…
Check PriceWhy we like it: We have finally found one that walks the tightrope between full time and part time workers with complete elegance.Editor’s rating:
Stalwart created this drill set specifically to tackle household related tasks and DIY projects. So it has considerable appeal to both the professional and the occasional craftsman. The set consists of 75 pieces and is powered by a 12V lithium-ion battery and dual speed transmission. There is also a trigger-happy LED light to light up dark areas. The light weight is also a key factor with this drill. The dual speed transmission features 18 different settings to offer maximum versatility and adjustability to the task at hand.
It is not often that you find a drill set that appeals equally well to full-time users and part-time users, partly because a part-time user does not end up requiring the full scale of components that a full-time user needs. And often times, a larger array of parts equals a larger price tag. But the Stalwart splits the difference beautifully offering 75 components at a very affordable price that convince both full time and part time craftsman that yes, it is a pretty good deal.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.