Microwaves are a common feature in almost every kitchen. These machines were revolutionary for fast and easy cooking, and now they tend to be a kitchen staple for meal prep. Reheating cold food and cooking things like popcorn takes just minutes; plus, a microwave doesn’t waste any energy preheating. The newest models of these handy appliances can include smart technologies and easy controls to make them more accessible than ever. If you’re looking to buy a new model, this guide is here to help you find the best family size countertop microwave. We’ll also help you determine what features, sizes, and prices you can expect to find while shopping.
Best family size Countertop Microwave Ovens Reviews
1. Best overall- Panasonic Compact Microwave Oven
SIZE: 1. 2-CUBIC-FOOT CAPACITY
POWER: 1,200 WATTS
SIMPLE: INVERTER TECHNOLOGY AND GENIUS SENSOR
MATERIAL: STAINLESS STEEL
DIMENSIONS: EXTERNAL: 12 1/4 X 20 11/16 X 15 13/16 INCHES
INTERNAL: 9 15/16 X 13 15/16 X 14 3/8 INCHES
The Genius Inverter countertop microwave from Panasonic, adds style and convenience to your kitchen. Features you will love are the cool blue LED, a functional and logical control panel, and attractive stainless steel design.
Perfectly cooked, and evenly heated food is what you can expect from this compact 1.2 cubic foot microwave with a 13-inch turntable, and Panasonic’s Inverter technology.
With one touch, you can cook a perfect meal in your microwave, thanks to the Panasonic Genius Sensor button. This handy feature automatically adjusts the power setting and cooking or defrosting time, for a perfect result, every time.
This powerful countertop microwave comes with patented Inverter technology and a genius sensor making a sophisticated addition to any household
It is the perfect solution for large families or singles alike.
If you’re looking for the best microwave on the shelves, look no further.
- Ease of Use. Inverter technology, genius sensors and advanced inverter turbo defrost are just a few high end features that make this microwave great.
- Size. Compact but 11 power intensities, smart controls and a 13. 4 inch turntable make it perfect for feeding a large family.
- Consistent Even Heating. Distributes consistent cooking power at all temperature levels for more equally cooked meals.
- Stress-Free. It includes 16 cook settings, 3 popcorn settings and a turbo defrost button
- Some consider it large for countertop
- A tad noisy
- The interior light is a little dim.
If you’re in the market for a compact, do-it-all smart microwave that takes all of the stresses out of cooking, take our advice, pick up a Panasonic Compact Microwave Oven.
2. Runner up – GE JNM3163DJBB Over-the-Range Microwave
STYLE: OVER THE RANGE
SIZE: 1.6 CUBIC-FOOT CAPACITY
POWER: 950 WATTS
SIMPLE: 300 CFM VENTING WITH 2 SPEEDS BUILT-IN
DIMENSIONS: 15.9 X 29.9 X 16.4 INCHES
It’s hard to go wrong when you select an appliance from one of the most trusted appliance names in America. The GE 1.6 cubic-foot, over the range microwave, gives your kitchen a timeless, yet modern look and feel.
This stylish, all black microwave is easy to use and comes with intuitive controls, to make cooking a great meal or snack a breeze.
All GE appliances come with the most up-to-date technology, and feature cooking controls that make using your microwave simple. Some of the features that we love include the automatic and timed defrost options, a handy 30-seconds button, and a turntable that you can turn off for larger dishes.
With 1000 watts of power, you can be assured that you can quickly cook most of your favorite foods, and with 10 different power levels, you won’t have to worry about over cooking your favorites.
This is one of the best over the range microwaves on the market. It is a great replacement or substitute for a range hood.
This tiny power house has a 2-speed, 300 GPM venting fan, with a replaceable charcoal filter, that will suck up even the most fragrant cooking smells. Leaving your kitchen air fresh and free from grease and odors.
You’ll also find the cooktop lighting handy, especially the night-light feature which gives your kitchen just enough light to search out a midnight snack.
- Automatically or manually program defrost feature
- Its 1.6 cu. ft. capacity can accommodate several small dishes.
- The turntable on/off option was convenient
- Replaceable charcoal filters
- Sometimes rattles if not tightened properly
- The door can be problematic
3. Best budget choice – Daewoo KOR07R3ZEL Retro Countertop Microwave Oven
SIZE: 0.7-CUBIC-FOOT CAPACITY
POWER: 700 WATTS
SIMPLE: 5 AUTO-COOK OPTIONS & 5 POWER LEVELS
MATERIAL: PLASTIC, METAL
DIMENSIONS: 12.7 X 17.6 X 10.6 IN
This 80’s inspired microwave by DAEWOO combines a stylish design with efficient performance. The retro pastel colors are certain to change your room’s aesthetics to a cooking throwback. IDEAL for keeping that Retro look and it is equipped with child lock safety function and has 2-Way Defrost so you spend less time thawing food.
This model comes with 5 auto-cook menus and 5 different power levels that will take you from a novice to a skilled cook in no time.
- The exclusive Concave Reflex System heats food more rapidly and evenly
- It’s not heavy so you can rearrange your kitchen with ease.
- The vintage aesthetics are very RETRO
- Comes in 6 cool colors to fit your style
- Sometimes it gets hot to the touch
- Seems a bit unstable
4. Best for over-the-range microwave- Sharp R1874T Over-the-Range Convection Microwave
STYLE: OVER THE RANGE
SIZE: 1.1-CUBIC-FOOT CAPACITY
POWER: 850 WATTS
SIMPLE: SMART AND EASY SENSOR SETTINGS
MATERIAL: STAINLESS STEEL
DIMENSIONS: EXTERNAL: 29-15/16 X 16-11/32 X 15-9/32
INTERNAL: 13-13/16 X 8-1/16 X 17-1/8
If you’re looking for a stylish, stainless steel option for an over the range microwave, look no further. This 4-way convection system included a built-in exhaust system and has low and high racks. With both microwave and convection cooking options, this Sharp, 850-watt microwave is the perfect addition to your kitchen.
With three venting options, you can easily replace your vent hood with this microwave, freeing up your countertop for food preparation. The interactive cooking controls make this microwave easy to use, and cooks food perfectly each time.
The convection cooking system allows you to brown, bake or crisp foods that might otherwise end up soggy in other microwaves.
The feature we love the most? The CompuBroil/Bake/Roast options automatically calculates the perfect cooking time, and temperature settings for a variety of foods.
- Easy four way convection and temperature control
- Built in exhaust and multiple venting options
- Large capacity turntable
- High rack for two-level baking plus a low rack for roasting, broiling or more baking
- The door can be tricky
- On the higher end price wise.
5. Best for small spaces – Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven
Check Latest Price on Amazon
SIZE: 0.9-CUBIC-FOOT CAPACITY
POWER: 900 WATTS
SIMPLE: EQUIPPED WITH ONE TOUCH START BUTTONS
MATERIAL: BLACK STAINLESS STEEL
DIMENSIONS: EXTERNAL: 19.2 X 15.9 X 11.5’’
INTERNAL: 12.36 X 13.66 X 8.7’’
A perfect small-sized microwave to meet your needs in a small condo or apartment kitchen. With 0.9 cubic feet of cooking space, this powerful 900 watt microwave features ten power levels, an easy to read digital display, and bright LED interior lighting.
This tiny but handy Toshiba microwave makes cooking simple with one-touch buttons that take the guesswork out of cooking your favorites, including popcorn, potatoes, pizza, and frozen veggies. This microwave even makes warming leftovers simple with a handy dinner plate button.
One feature we really like is that this compact microwave has a multi-stage cooking option that lets you easily program cooking times and powers for a variety of foods.
Looking for a microwave for a small space? The .9 cu. ft. Toshiba fits the bill.
- Equipped with one touch start, power-saving eco mode and sound on/off option.
- A good sized turntable for such a small microwave.
- You can choose by time or by weight for defrost
- The Eco-mode and mute functions are an added bonus
- Turntable comes off track easily.
- Internal light sometimes flickers