What is the Best it tool kit and the best it technician tool kit? Unless you’re having one of your digitally connected friends print out this website and mail it to your rural Californian homestead, there is a pretty good chance that you’re sitting behind a computer right now. Technology has become an integral part of our everyday lives, and learning how to repair our computers and perform basic maintenance tasks is almost as important as being able to change your own oil or cook your own food. Computer repairs are often viewed as being incredibly technical, but most tasks are actually quite simple.
All you need is the right tools for the job. Once you’ve got that, you can fire up YouTube and learn to do anything you need. The first question you need to ask is “what exactly are the right tools?” Today, we’re going to answer that very question.
These computer technician tool kits have everything you need to take care of basic PC repair. We’ve gone through the bestselling kits online to find the packages that are suitable for both professional computer technicians and beginners. First, we’ll take a look at what makes these kits great. Then, we’ll help you find the one that’s right for you.
best it technician tool kit
What Does An Effective best it tool kit Have?
Buying a tool kit for your computer will require some consideration if you’re gonna want to do something productive with it. From getting the job done, to protecting yourself from injuries, the right tool kit does not compromise. Not all tool kits are created equal, hence we’re laying out the groundwork on what to look for among the wide selection available online.
A good screwdriver can take you a long way in the world of computer repair and maintenance. Ensure that the screwdriver has a handle with a good and comfortable grip. It is also advantageous to choose a magnetic one as lining up screws in the confines of a tight or crowded computer case can be challenging. It also makes screw retrieval easier.
Furthermore, you will benefit from one that has removable/interchangeable bits, allowing for multiple applications to be handled by a single screwdriver. Also, screwdrivers are handy when building a computer, allowing you to short a switch pin connection while testing components outside the case.
Anti-static Wrist Strap
It’s quite tricky working with electronics as you need to take extra care not to accidentally discharge static electricity on them. This can cause irreversible damage, which is why a preventive measure such as an anti-static wrist strap is necessary when working on a computer. This discharges any kind of static electricity buildup on your body to a safe ground point, away from your precious components.
These slender pliers are perfect for working with narrow and tight spaces within the computer’s chassis. Pliers are effective tools when you plan to work with small jumpers for applications like BIOS/CMOS resets, which is almost impossible to do with fingers alone. You can also use it to pry out small connectors that have lodged into ports.
Much like pliers, tweezers act as an extension of your fingers when reaching in for tiny components, like CMOS batteries and screws. The claws help in providing a more stable grip, while the spring-loaded design provides a counteracting force to keep them open while not in action.
While you might have adequate lighting in your work area, the nooks and crannies of a computer case can still hinder your vision. A flashlight is a great way to illuminate the insides of your case, especially when plugging in connectors to motherboard pins. Plus points if it’s a head-mounted unit.
Diagonal pliers, more commonly known as wire cutters, are important if you need to cut wires or strip insulating material from them. This can be useful if you want to convert fans by having them plug into the motherboard instead of the power supply, and vice versa.
Best it tool kit
Rosewill 146-Piece Network/PC Service Tool Kit
Rosewill makes a large variety of computer hardware, and offers it at a price well below market. The trade-off is that you often have to install it yourself. There is no better way to do so than with their 146 Piece service kit.
If you want to be prepared for anything, this is the kit you get. It doesn’t just have the tools you’d need for basic computer repairs, but also everything you need for basic electronics repair. The most important items are the screwdriver set, and Rosewill has this area totally covered. You’ve got the standard micro-Phillip’s screwdrivers that allow you to get into all the tight places. These screw drivers have a rotating base, so you can hold them against the palm of your hand and still turn them easily.
The small screwdrivers will only help you with internally mounted components. When you’re mounting PCI express cards or case-mounted hardware, you’re going to want the bigger tools. For these jobs, you’ll want to bust out the magnetic screwdriver set. This tool has a magnetic head that helps you on two fronts. First, it makes it easy to change the bits, and Rosewill has no shortage of bits. You’ve got 10 phillips bits, three torq bits, and eleven hex bits in both metric and imperial measurements. The other benefit of the magnetic set is that the screws will bond with the bits making it easy to lift them out of the case. In the event you do drop one, you’ll have no problem picking one out with the long set of tweezers designed for exactly that purpose.
What else do you get in the package? You’ve got a AAA powered voltage detecting screwdriver, wire strippers, a retractable magnet, needlenose pliers, tape, solder, a solder sucker, a hammer, and a flashlight. With a grounding strap included, all that’s missing from this set is the kitchen sink!
While these tools aren’t the same quality your mechanic would use on your car, they’re more than adequate for a PC technician. All of the tool handles, with the micro usb screwdrivers as the sole exception, are fully insulated. Even with a grounding strap, this is very important as it prevents electricity from flowing through something they aren’t supposed to. Any time there is a shortcoming in one set of tools, for example the micro screw drivers having a head too undefined to turn large screws, Rosewill has compensated with another tool that is better equipped for the job. This means that you’re able to get the complete kit, without suffering from disappointment.
For the price, you’re not going to find a better deal on a tool kit. The question is if you actually need all the tools. If you’re an actual technician using the tools professionally, the answer is a clear yes. But if you’re just a hobbyist who just wants to change the occasional stick of ram, this kit is probably overkill and you’re better spending your money elsewhere.
Belkin 55-Piece Demagnetized Computer Tool Kit
Although they tend to focus on external accessories, this 36-piece tool kit shows that Belkin is just as in touch with what’s going on inside your computer as they are the outside. The kit is a little simpler than some, but we quickly found out that the essentials are often enough.
The foundation of the Belkin 55-Piece Demagnetized Computer Tool Kit is the large screwdriver. It’s accompanied with a full set of screwdrivers bits. The most commonly used ones are going to be your Phillips (star) head bits. They come with both large and small versions to remove or install almost any part you can get your hands on. A third bit is included as well. This ‘bonus bit’ is the same size as the large Phillips bit, but comes on a long-extended bar to help you reach those hard to get spots.
So what are all the other bits included? This set has many small and oddly sized torq bits that are often used by manufacturers as ‘security bits’. They call them security bits because you can’t easily find screw drivers to remove them. With this set, they’re easy to pop out. This allows you to work on hard drives or other internal components that aren’t supposed to be user serviceable.
Aside from the unique screwdrivers, you’ve got a few other tools that are handy to have around. The double ended phillips / flathead screwdriver is great to swap from screwing to prying, and the long-ended tweezers allow you to pick up any of those little components that might happen to fall into tight spaces. If the twezers won’t get it, you can use the air syringe to suck or blow debris or material out of the way. Once you’ve added in the grounding wrist strap and allen keys, you’ve got a pretty well developed kit that provides all the essentials.
The one bonus they’ve included is the plastic container that looks a lot like a pill case. This is actually our favorite feature. When you’re removing tons of little screws and parts from your computer, it can be challenging to keep track of them all. This case allows you to do so. This way, you won’t be scrounging around for spare parts, or trying to force the wrong screw into the wrong hole.
All of these tools are demagnetized. Considering how we commended the previous set for being magnetic, it might seem a bit odd that demagnetization would be considered an asset, but there is a good reason for it. If you’re working with delicate components, magnetic interference can actually be a pretty major disadvantage. This can induce current in small components, causing damage. This is especially true when working with storage devices. If you’re looking to work on these kinds of devices, you’ll want to go for this set for sure.
If you’re using the tool set to work exclusively with computers, you’ll probably be thankful that you got the demagnetized set. They might be more of a pain for standard maintenance, but it’s not actually easy to find these tools on their own. Picking up this set is going to save you a fair bit of money and time in the future.
Floureon 38-Piece Repair Tool Kit
While this isn’t a commonly known manufacturer of computer components, they’re very well known in the tool world. Depending on what you’re looking for, their experience making high quality screwdrivers mean that their offering is significantly more useful than what some might offer.
In the Floureon 38-Piece Repair Tool Kit, they’ve included all of the tools necessary to repair your desktop, laptop, or smartphone. Their focus is mostly on screwdrivers, and they’ve got almost everything you could need in this department. When we first opened it, we were extremely impressed with how well laid out the tool kit was. What you’ll use most is the screwdriver set on the right. You’ve got a changeable bit driver that includes a large extending arm for getting into those tight spaces. In terms of tips, you’ve got all of the smaller phillips, flat head, torq, and socket sets. Each of these bits are heavily magnetized. Even when you’re removing those compact, hard to manage screws they’ll stick nicely to the tip.
On the right side you’ve got some tools that you might not use quite as much, but will still be glad to have. You’ve got three micro-sized screwdrivers, one of which has a brush on the back for clearing out dust and debris. They’ve also included a few pics. These look a lot like guitar picks, but are much firmer. These are great for prying off screens. If you’re trying to be a little gentler, you can use the suction cup to gently remove flat parts that you want to be careful with.
The quality of this tool set is noticeable, especially for the price. The first thing that we noticed is how well formed the tips of the screwdrivers are. Screws are held firmly in place. With cheaper sets, we’ve noticed that screws tend to wobble and won’t sit firmly. But we didn’t have that problem with this set.
In the even you do manage to damage a screwdriver, the one year warranty means that you’re completely covered. This shows just how much Floureon stands behind their product, giving you confidence as a buyer.
If you’re looking to work on mobile devices, especially laptops and phones, you’ll get great value with this set. They’ve got more of the smaller sets of screwdriver heads, something that you’d often have to purchase extra. It might not be the best value for desktop computers, but laptops are more common these days anyway.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.