Today, you get way more horsepower for your money: The Best Laptops For High School Students and the best laptops for students are packed with features and promise peak performance at an affordable price. We focused our search on price, performance, size, touch-screen capability, and flexibility (both literal and figurative) to find the laptops that are worth a student’s time.
It wasn’t that long ago that buying a teenager their own laptop might’ve felt like a wildly extravagant and unnecessary investment. But with the coronavirus pandemic keeping schools shuttered nationwide for the foreseeable future, laptops are suddenly essential gear for most high school and college students, as fundamental to pursuing an education as books (which are still fundamental). The good news for remote-schooling students and homeschooling parents is that while computing power has climbed to incredible heights, the price of basic computing power has dropped dramatically. The best laptops for high school students balance those two things: performance and price.
Best Laptops For High School Students
1. Acer Aspire E5-576-392H – 15.6″ – Most Recommended Affordable Option
- 8th Generation Intel Core i3 8130U Processor…
- 15.6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen…
- 6GB Dual Channel Memory, 1TB HDD and 8x DVD
- Up to 13.5 Hours of battery life
This is a budget laptop, however, as far as performance/dollar value goes, nothing beats it in the current market.
For day to day school work, this laptop is excellent. It is more than just capable of handling simpler work such as research work or writing reports.
As mentioned earlier, for us minimum requirement for a high school laptop would be that it boasts at least an Intel Core i3 processor.
Anything lower than that can seriously bottleneck your work. This laptop does just that. In fact, it offers the Intel Core i3-8310U processor from the latest 8th generation.
It is also worth noting here that the 8th generation Intel Core i3 processors are far more superior to the 7th generation Core i3 processors for the same category. As such, it is even capable of low level editing and designing work.
Despite being a budget notebokook, Acer Aspire E5-576-392H offers a fairly decent 6 GB RAM. You can always upgrade the RAM should you need, however, out of the box and for average high school work, this is more than enough.
In addition to that, this laptop also offers 1 TB of HDD as well as an optical drive. The 1 TB drive is significant for high school students for storing work as well as videos, music and photos. The optical drive is quite a surprise since it has almost been phased out from the laptops.
As far as the battery life is concerned, this laptop offers a fairly 8 hours Plus of battery life. Therefore, you can stay away from the power socket the entire day you spend in your high school.
Another point worth noting here is that despite being a budget laptop, it offers an FHD screen. Normally budget laptops only offer HD resolution. FHD is excellent for multitasking as you can comfortable fit two A4 sized word document side by side.
All in all, if you are looking for a windows-based laptop that is affordable then this is certainly one of the best laptops for high school students. It has enough juice to last you through your entire High School period.
- One of the best Performance/Dollar value
- Core i3-8130U at a budget price tag
- FHD screen (for a budget laptop), is something to note
- Offers an M.2 slot for inserting SSD in the future
- Optical Drive (not a huge plus but still worth considering)
- Long lasting battery life
- Not aesthetically appealing. The looks aren’t something you would want to brag about
- Heavier and bulkier than an average 15.6″ screen laptop.
- Washed out screen colors make for a not so pleasing visual experience
best student laptops 2020
2. HP Pavilion X360 – 15.6″ – Convertible – Modern And Stylish
- Four versatile modes: easily convert from…
- Create, connect and share: the streamlined,…
- Benefit from dual storage configuration:…
- Fast Processor: intel(r) core(tm) i5-8265u,…
While HP Pavilion X360 has the same processor as the Acer Aspire E5-576-392H above, this is far richer in features.
If you want to roll in style and you want a laptop that looks great and gives you some bragging rights, then this should serve you well.
Make no mistake, however, this is a highly capable machine. If offers a decent Intel Core i3-8130U processor along with 1 TB of HDD.
Furthermore, it offers a unique combination of HDD with 4 GB static RAM and 16 GB of Intel Optane RAM. Essentially, this RAM is capable of handling some of the toughest multitasking work.
What we truly love about this laptop, however, is the convertible feature. If you combine this with the included HP Digital Pen, you can essentially call this a studio laptop. You can draw on it, take notes and play touch capable games etc.
Another great feature it offers is a beautiful 15.6 inch IPS screen with FHD resolution. IPS is quickly taking over the screens in the laptop market. IPS monitors offer richer colors, brighter visuals and widest viewing angles.
All in all if you are looking for a stylish, yet capable machine, then this is one of the best laptops for high school students.
- Convertible laptop
- Very slim bezels – 15 inch screen fit in a 14″ chassis
- A color rich IPS screen
- Looks good, but as far as performance/dollar value goes, it is weaker than the market standard.
- Not possible to use 15.6″ laptop in Tablet mode comfortably
3. ASUS C302CA-DHM4 – 15.6″ – Convertible – High Performance Chromebook
ON SALE TODAY
- The flexible 360 Degree hinge and 12.5 inches…
- Intel Core Processor with 64GB storage and…
- Extremely lightweight at 2.65 pounds with the…
- Starts up in seconds and lasts all day,…
Chromebooks are highly school friendly. Unlike normal laptops that operate on Windows or Mac, Chromebook run on Google’s proprietary Chromium operating system.
In order to use them to the full extent, you need to be connected to the internet.
Although you can work offline, Chromebooks are generally used for cloud based work and software.
You must have realized by now that the internet has become way too vast. From word processing to photo editing, everything can be done on the cloud (internet).
The benefit of this is that you can retrieve your data from any device so long as you are connected to the internet.
The other benefit is that the core hardware of the laptop does not have to be too strong in order to perform demanding tasks. All of that is taken by the host server of a certain application.
ASUS C302CA-DHM, essentially, is a high end Chromebook. It costs less than $500, but it has the most comprehensive features for a Chromebook.
For starters, it is convertible. The screen of this laptop can rotate on the back of the keyboard so that you can use it as a tablet.
Since this is a rather small 12.5 inch notebook (instead of the conventional 15.6″) you can easily use this both as a normal laptop as a well as tablet .
ASUS C302CA-DHM uses a specialized Intel Core m3 processor that is built specifically for highly compact and mobile devices such as this machine.
It offers 4GB RAM and 64 GB Flash Storage. You may be wondering why the disk space is so low. Well, as mentioned earlier, everything is done on the cloud. Google Drive gives you 100 GB for free on the cloud so you can store everything online.
If you have a fast and stable internet connection, then Chromebooks are the best laptops for High School students.
- Convertible laptop – allows you to experience laptop as well as an Android Tablet
- 12.5″ is great for both portability as well as viewing – large convertible laptops cannot be used as tablets effectively
- Thin and Light
- Offers Intel Core m3 processor – way more capable than the Celeron processors found on average Chromebooks
- Long lasting battery life (8+ hours)
- Lacks HDMI – you’ll need to invest in Type C – HDMI adapter
- RAM cannot be upgraded
- Only two USB Type C ports make connectivity a headache, you may have to invest in hubs.
4. ASUS VivoBook F510UA-AH55 – Midrange – Performance Laptop
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U…
- 15.6 Inches Full HD WideView display with…
- 14.2 inches wide, 0.8 inches thin and…
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD storage…
This is a gorgeous laptop that is not only thin measuring at 0.8″, but also offers some of the best specs in this price range.
For starters, this laptop offers the latest Intel Core i5-8250U processor that is capable of performing at 3.4 GHz per core.
You would be interested in this laptop as high school student IF you work on powerful software such as Photoshop, After Effects etc.
As far as the looks are concerned, not only does it have a slim form factor, it also has some of the slimmest bezels. Therefore, you get a continuous beautiful screen to look at. If you are a high school student who wants to roll in style, then ASUS VivoBook F510UA is highly recommended.
This notebook offers a decent 8 GB DDR4 RAM as well as 1 TB of HDD capacity with 128 GB SSD. We personally love this harddrive configuration.
You can essentially use the 1 TB for media files such as videos/images etc. On the other hand, you can use the 128 GB SSD for operating system as well as your most used software.
It also offers USB 3.1 Type C for interfacing with the latest devices as well as fingerprint reader for better security.
All in all, while this is NOT a gaming laptop, if you need a performance laptop for running demanding software, then this is one of the best laptops for high school students.
- One of the slimmest bezel laptops
- Very thin and light
- The 1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD is a great hard drive configuration for bulk storage as well as speed.
- Great for students who need extra juice for creative and demanding software
- The average 8 GB of RAM could be lacking for complex video editing projects
- It is an overkill for typical school work.
- Short battery life
- No backlit keyboard (you would expect this at this price)
5. Dell G3 – Affordable Gaming Laptop For High School Students
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8750H Processor…
- 16GB 2666 Mega Hertz DDR4 up to 32GB
- 256 GB (SSD) Boot + 1 TB 5400 RPM SATA HDD…
- 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti Glare,…
Dell G3 is an affordable gaming laptop. The term ‘affordable” here is relative since even the most affordable ‘gaming laptop’ is far more capable than any conventional counterpart.
Dell G3 is excellent for those students who do not have a huge budget to spend on dedicated gaming machines.
In fact, it is quite surprising to find all this hardware at such a resonable price tag.
Underneath its beatuiful chassis it hides one of the most powerful processors of the 8th generation for laptop i.e the Core i7-8750H processor.
Note that unlike the flagship processors from the previous generation, this is not a quad core instead it is a hexa core processor.
In terms of performance it is 25%-30% better in comparison to its previous gen counterparts.