Unlike toasters, blenders, lawnmowers, and garage door openers, there’s a special bond that exists between a man and his set of wheels. A car or motorcycle is a literal ticket to freedom, independence, and geographical autonomy. Be good to your vehicle and take care of it, and in turn, your vehicle will be good to you. If you grew up wrenching in a garage, spinning a spanner is likely second nature, though to the uninitiated, knowing where to start when assembling a mechanics tool kit can be a more-than-daunting task.
For this reason, we’ve compiled this diverse list of the best mechanic tool set brand options currently on the market. This eight-item collection includes everything from basic roadside tool rolls, to full-on, professional-grade kits comprised of vehicle lifts and diagnostic equipment. Whether you’re just learning how to change your oil, or you’re a seasoned hand, one of these recommended kits is guaranteed to get your home garage firing on all cylinders.
Best mechanic tool set brand
- Made in USA
- 90-day full refund
- 3-year limited warranty
- Owned by Black and Decker (notorious among craftsmen for poor quality parts)
During our research into the best tool brands we found it was always a close contest in preferences of tool users between our #1 pick DeWalt and the occupant of the #2 slot, Makita. That said, DeWalt earned the edge just ever so slightly thanks to its better warranty programs and more extensive network of approved repair shops, making it easier for owners of DeWalt tools to easily get their equipment repaired and back in action quicker no matter where their worksite is in the world. What more can you ask of the best tools?
Our #2 Pick is MakitaA great warranty plan on cordless power tools earned Makita top marksCheck Price
- 3-year warranty on lithium-ion battery powered tools
- Majority of tools made in USA
- Limited one-year warranty on general products
- Pricier than most brands
Makita power tool brand earned some #1 spots in certain lists, trouncing DeWalt, while taking #2 or #3 in other tool comparisons which led us to giving it a (still respectable) #2 finish here. As mentioned above, the one factor that dipped it down below a first place slot was its wonky warranty program, under which most tools are only covered for one year from defects, while specific tools like their pneumatic nailer and battery-powered tools get the privilege of being covered for three times as long.
And as a Japanese-based company we won’t fault Makita for not having all its tools made in the good ol’ USA, however a significant portion of its manufactured power tools do still come straight out of its production facility located in Buford, Georgia. That is why it’s our 2nd best power tool brand.
Our #3 Pick is MilwaukeeFree repair in the first year makes Milwaukee tools a must haveCheck Price
- Free repair and replacement within 1-year warranty period
- Nearly $50 million in new plants opened in US over past five years
- Some tools made in China
Despite being one of the few companies on this list which essentially manufacturers the majority overseas in China, Milwaukee still earned a number of accolades from tool buyers who consider the company to produce some of the best tools (for the price) in the business.
This may be due to the company’s recent efforts to bring jobs back stateside, with a $47 million investment in local production facilities over the last five years. This has led to new and more technologically advanced plants being opened in states like Mississippi and Wisconsin.
Our #4 Pick is BoschBosch’s MaxVantagePro repair program is one of a kindCheck Price
- 3-year tool/2-year battery warranties
- MaxVantagePRO repair program
- Cheaper than most brands
- Primarily manufactured in China and Mexico
When it comes to the fine balance of price to quality, Bosch seems to have managed to walk that line expertly by offering tools which generally skew toward the cheaper side of the spectrum (thereby opening themselves up to a much wider spectrum of the home buyer market), without sacrificing the quality that most professionals have come to associate the brand with.
Although many of their tools do come from production facilities located either in China or Mexico, the company also maintains strict guidelines on quality, which seems to have paid off in spades to make them one of the most widely purchased tool brands operating in the market today.
Our #5 Pick is RidgidRidgid’s lifetime warranty on all their tools puts them head and shoulders above the restCheck Price
- Lifetime defect warranty
- Plumbing tools made in USA
- Some power tools manufactured overseas
Finally, we come to Ridgid. Ridgid is one of the oldest brands on this list, and actually has the distinct claim to the patent for inventing what everyone knows as the modern-day pipe wrench.
The company has topped several lists among professional construction workers for their power tools, though their primary focus (and expertise) is in manufacturing just about everything a plumber would need to do their job effectively.
Ridgid has taken some flak in recent years for leasing the brand out to another Hong Kong-based company called TTI, which also manufactures products for the likes of previously American-made brands like Hoover, Dirt Devil, and Homelight.
That said, with so many accolades under their belt it doesn’t seem as though Ridgid has let the quality of their tools suffer as a result of this rebranding, which is why although not the best brand out there, has still earned a respectable #5 slot on our list of the best tool brands for 2019.
Other Tool Brands to Consider
Stanley: Stanley is another highly-regarded brand in the tool space that’s known for creating quality tools that can stand the test of time. The options with Stanley can be a bit pricier than some other brands on this list, but the brand is definitely a case of “you get what you pay for” when it comes to long-lasting reliability and strength.
Husky: Husky covers every area of the market with its tool lines, catering to the demands of professional craftsmen and home builders alike. There are a large range of Husky tools to choose from along with about a dozen well-supplied pre-selected toolkits you can buy, so if you’re on the hunt for variety and want the all-in-one experience, Husky might be the right choice for you.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.