Finding the best mechanic tool set and professional mechanic tool set can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top mechanic tool sets in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
best mechanic tool set 2020
The best all around mechanic tool set should offer you plenty of variety and flexibility to tackle any number of projects. Since small parts come in both imperial and metric measurements, it doesn’t hurt to have an assortment of both types of tools as well. The Stanley STMT73795 offers 210 separate metric/imperial tools and sockets/drivers that will be enough for most screws, nuts, and bolts you may encounter.All the tools are forged from high strength steel and are ergonomically designed for a comfortable grip. Many of the tools are also designed for quick use. The ratchets can easily switch different sockets and extensions, and reverse direction with a simple thumb flick. Everything is contained in a durable, easy to carry case.
Best mechanic tool set
Runner Up, Best Overall Mechanic Tool Set: DeWalt DWMT72165
Buy on AmazonBuy on JetSometimes, a more specialized mechanic tool set can be more useful if you have certain types of projects continuously. The DeWalt DWMT72165 offers 204 pieces and tools with a greater focus on sockets and ratchets than other tool sets. The set is meant for people who work on parts or projects with a large amount of nuts and bolts. The sockets come in virtually any common size you may need and provide clear markings of the size.The standout part of this set is the primary ratchet that will work with any of the sockets included in the set. The ratchet has a 72-tooth gearing system that gives you precise control over the amount of torque you apply. The body of the ratchet is slim for difficult to reach places and is designed for one hand operation with quick socket changes.
Best Budget Mechanic Tool Set: Hi-Spec 67 Piece Auto Mechanics
Buy on AmazonFor a starter kit, a budget tool set is a perfect option when you want something with the basics. Budget kits tend to skip the specialized tools and focus on the more commonly used pieces you may need. The Hi-Spec 67 Piece Auto Mechanics kit will provide you a decent set of sockets and a pro grade ratchet. In addition, you will find other common garage tools like needle nose pliers, hex keys, and even a voltage tester.If you have a large collection of tools already, this set is also a good option for a smaller, more mobile tool set. Instead of reaching for tools from all corners of your workspace, this one keeps everything in a sturdy case for you to keep at your side as you work.
Best Mixed Tool Mechanic Tool Set: Crescent CTK170CMP2
Buy on AmazonBuy on Home DepotOne tool set to do it all is the dream of many professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike. Why stock your garage with every single tool you might need when one tool set will be enough? While it may just be a dream, the Crescent CTK170CMP2 certainly gets close by offering 170 assorted tools you can use on virtually any project. With ratchets, sockets, wrenches, pliers, and more, this is the best choice if you only want one tool set to store.One of the best features about this set is the storage case. The inside compartments make it easy to organize the tools so each one has a proper, easy to reach spot. When closed, the convenient handle also means you can carry this set with you wherever you need on projects that require moving around.
Best Ratchet Mechanic Tool Set: Craftsman 311 Piece
Buy on Searshometownstores.comBuy on EBayThe Craftsman 311 Piece ratchet set offers any and all types of ratchets and sockets you could ever want in a tool set. Since these are some of the most common types of tools you will use on any number of projects, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared with the obscure socket and driver sizes you may encounter every now and then. The set includes 75 tooth ratchets, 14 wrench heads, and 15 bit sockets.Three ratchets come with this set. Each one is made with the same durable, high polished metal, and features a quick release mechanism for quickly changing sockets as you work. The ratchets move in 4.8 degree increments allowing for fine adjustments while torqueing down nuts and bolts.
Best Home Mechanic Tool Set: GreatNeck GN205
Buy on AmazonIf you don’t need a professional assortment of tools, a home mechanic set is a more affordable substitute. Similar to budget tool sets, home sets are specially designed for common home and garage projects that require a similar group of tools. The GreatNeck GN205 comes with the usual assortment of ratchets, sockets, and hex key wrenches in addition to more home specific tools like utility knives, screwdrivers, and PVC tape.A set like this is a great emergency tool kit to have on hand when unexpected problems come up. During times where you need one type of tool like a claw hammer, it can be useful to keep these tools all in one place so you know where to look. The included storage case has three separate drawers so you can further organize the tools to your liking.
Best Large Piece Mechanic Tool Set: Craftsman 413 pc.
Buy on Sears.comWhen quantity is important, the more tools a set includes, the better. Craftsman’s 413 piece tool set offers one of the most complete and extensive kits available on the market. This is the kind of tool set you should buy if you want to cover all your bases or to be prepared for random, unexpected projects that can come up.While 271 sockets and 55 combination wrenches might seem like overkill, it can be smart to have an extensive collection of tools. Usually, smaller tool kits will leave something out that inevitably becomes important right when you least expect it. Having a large collection of tools like this minimizes the chances of this happening while allowing you to tackle more specialized projects.
Best Small Piece Mechanic Tool Set: Stanley STMT71653
Buy on AmazonBuy on Home DepotA small mechanic tool kit makes it easier to keep track of the most important or common tools you use regularly. For something small and manageable, the Stanley STMT71651 focuses on quality over quantity. With 145 pieces, the set offers some of the most common tools you will need for typical projects around the home and garage. Each tool is made from high quality steel and finished using nickel or black chrome.The ratchets of the set include Stanley’s Max-Drive design which increases the amount of torque you can deliver while tightening nuts and fasteners. The design will also help the tool last longer since it minimizes the amount of contact with fasteners while delivering more torque than other common ratchets.
How We Tested
Our reviewers spent two hours testing a top-rated mechanic tool set. To get the most complete results possible, they used it to help execute their own DIY projects and assessed its performance. We asked our testers to consider the most important features when using this mechanic tool set, like tool size and variety. We’ve outlined the key takeaways here so that you, too, know what to look for when shopping.
What to Look for in a Mechanic Tool Set
Tool sizeTypically, you’ll have to choose between two measurement systems when buying mechanic tools: SAE, which stands for Society of Automotive Engineers, or metric. Metric sockets are measured in millimeters, while SAE sockets are measured in inches. Unfortunately, there aren’t precise correlations between these two measurement systems, so consider how you’ll be using the sockets to determine which measurements will best suit your needs. If possible, you may want to look for a set that includes both types of heads, just to be safe.
VarietyConsider the variety of tools you get with each kit. If you’re a DIY novice, a set with fewer than 100 pieces will likely suffice. However, if you’re more experienced, you might be better off with a larger set of several hundred pieces.
Accessories and adaptersIn addition to standard wrenches, handles, and sockets, some mechanic tool kits come with accessories like breaker bars, torque wrenches, U-joint adapters, socket adapters, and more. Consider whether you’ll need these attachments for the project you’ll be working on.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.