Starter tool sets are a great way to gift someone the power to work on their own car. While there are a lot of junk tool sets sold out there, there are some really reasonably priced great starter tool sets under $100 and Best mechanics tool set under 100 options. I am usually a proponent of buying individual components from different companies, as you can see in my post where I outline all the tools an entry-level mechanic needs here. However, from my research, the absolute best deal for a starter DIY mechanic tool set is the Apex tools CTK170CMP2 on Amazon for an amazing deal here. Both the Dewalt DWMT72163 and the WorkPro 164 piece mechanic toolsets come in a close second and third place, respectively. The main things I looked for in what toolset to recommend was price, durability, and socket/wrench sizes.
As of writing this post a lot of these toolsets are on sale right now, and the price may go up over $100. Just click the links below to check the current price and reviews on Amazon.
Best Mechanics Tool Sets Under 100
Mechanics rely to a great extent upon their tools to get their work done and thus, it is necessary to ensure that they are of the highest possible quality to guarantee efficiency and eliminate the worry of the tool breaking in the middle of the job. Mechanics also use many tools to get their work done.
See the best affordable tool sets for mechanics here
Buying one tool at a time is a big hassle, and there is still a big chance that you will find that you do not have all the tools you need to complete your work when you are already halfway done bringing inconvenience. In addition to the inconvenience of buying one tool at a time, it is also very expensive, and that is why most do it yourself people prefer buying mechanics tool sets.
Mechanics tool sets come in a wide array of options and with a varying range of tools making selection quite difficult for most users especially the beginners. Making the right choice largely depends on your skill level and the machines that you will be repairing whether small or large.
The price of the mechanics tool set is also a major determinant of the quality of the materials used to manufacture the tools, but it does not necessarily mean that you cannot find a quality mechanics tool set under 100 dollars. If you are looking for a mechanics tool set under 100 dollars that will do the job perfectly, the following are some of the best.
The most affordable mechanic set with artistic features perfect for basic DIY projects
The Stanley Homeowner’s Tool Kit featuring 65 piece of tools is the cheapest on this list, but one of the most artistic. This kit comes with all the tools that you may need to complete basic DIY projects around the home packaged in a blow molded case for easy tools portability and storage.
Despite being perfect for completing basic DIY projects, the tools are made of high-quality steel to ensure maximum performance. The handles of ratchet tool feature a helpful reverse switch mechanism that is thumb operated to help ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
The sockets in this 94-248 Homeowners Tool kit by Stanley feature Max-Drive design and a unique radius corner design that offers you 15-percent more torque than most standard sockets. Some of the tools included in this mechanics tool set include a 13-ounce hammer that helps reduce vibrations, a 16-foot tape with True-Zero end hook for accurate measurements, slip joint pliers, long nose pliers and two piece screwdriver set among others.
The most affordable mechanics tool set perfect for industrial applications
If you are looking for the best mechanics tool set under 100 dollars that would enable you to repair mechanical and industrial applications, the Crescent Mechanics Tool Set is engineered to handle the tough tasks without the limiting price of the high-end tool sets.
The CTK170CMP2 tool set by Crescent comes with a carefully selected assortment of hand tools perfect for most consumer, mechanical and industrial applications in a sturdier blow mold case. The tools in this mechanics set are made from chrome vanadium steel alloy and are specially formulated and heat treated to ensure they are of high quality and offers resistance to abrasion and corrosion for extremely long life.
The mechanics tool set under $100 that gives you more value
If you are looking for a mechanics tool set that offers you most value, then the Stanley Mixed ToolSet is a perfect choice. The Stanley’s STMT73795 tool set comes with 210 piece tools that are chrome vanadium forged for torque, strength, and durability. The tools are also fully chrome finished for anti-corrosion protection.
This Stanley’s tool set comes with a complete range of metric-sized drive tools and sockets that are perfect for most mechanical applications. The drive tools are made of the highest quality steel and finished in high-polish chrome for durability and maximum functionality. The extensions and sockets included in this Stanley’s set are designed to remain locked onto the drive until you use a low profile quick release button that is easy to reach to disengage.
The other highlight of this tool set is that the sockets feature a Max-Drive design with a unique radius corner design that lets you easily tighten fasteners. Some of the tools in this set include 8-inch groove joint pliers, cushion grip screwdrivers, 8-inch long nose pliers, 6-inch adjustable wrench and a Dyna Grip retractable utility knife.
The best affordable mechanics tool set for medium DIY mechanical jobs
If you are a serious mechanic with a limited budget, but you would like a mechanic set that handles pressure and lets you work on both threads, the Craftsman Mechanic tool set is the perfect solution. The 108-piece 009-38108 Craftsman tool set comes with a large selection of high-quality SAE and Metric Sockets at an amazing price.
The tool set features 3/8-inch and 1/4-inch drive sizes that include deep and regular sockets in both metric and inch sizes with a quick release ratchet. The tool also comes with two sets of six 1/4-inch drive 6 pt sockets, six 3/8-inch drive 6 pt deep sockets for Metric and Inch, and two open end wrenches, magnetic bit handle, 12 nut driver bits, two quick release ratchets and ten screwdriver bits among others.
The cheapest mechanics tool set that can handle the toughest mechanical jobs
If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the costly high-end mechanic tool set without compromising on the quality of tools, the Stanley Mechanics Tool set is what you need. The Stanley’s STMT71654 tool set comes with 201 pieces of tools, which are more than enough to handle almost every DIY task in your garage and around your home.
The tools are made from high nickel or black chrome and feature an artistic design that ensures maximum functionality and durability. The innovate radius corner design gives the Stanley sockets a15-percent more torque, which lets you tighten fasteners more easily.
The Max-Drive design also helps to simplify the turning of the rounded corners for better productivity. The other important highlight of the Stanley mechanics tool sets is the amazing customer service that helps solve buyers’ problems quickly and satisfactorily.
Whether you are looking for a mechanics tool set that can handle most basic DIY tasks or a tool set that offers you with many tools option to handle all the tasks in your garage, there is an under 100 dollars tools set that is perfect for you.
More of the best rated tool sets on Amazon.com here
All mechanics tool sets featured in this guide are perfect for their intended role, but it is imperative to ensure that you are buying the best mechanic tool set for your garage needs to guarantee satisfaction.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.