Is moisturizer good for oily skin? In this post, we will be discussing the best moisturizer for oily skin, best moisturizer for oily skin face, best bb cream for oily skin, and the best b b cream for oily skin. Moisturizer is arguably one of the most important products for good skin. The catch: There are a million moisturizers on the market. With so many options to choose from, finding the right moisturizer for your specific skin type can get a little tricky. If you have oily skin, we have good news for you today.
We asked five dermatologists to narrow down the list to the best drugstore moisturizers for oily skin, and naturally, we had to throw a few of our faves in the mix, too. These budget buys will de-clog your pores and control shine. Click through for the best drugstore moisturizers for oily skin—all $25 and under—and get ready to buy these in bulk.
best moisturizer for oily skin
Hold onto youthful, oil-free skin for as long as you can with this hydrating yet mattifying cream packed with green tea but not with parabens, silicones, or mineral oil. The 97% natural-derived formula feels cooling even on sensitive skin.
“There is a common misconception that if you have oily skin, you don’t need a moisturizer. That is not true,” says Melissa Kanchanapoomi Levin, MD, a board-certified NYC dermatologist. “Moisturizers provide the basic function of minimizing and preventing water loss through the upper layers of the skin. Not only does our skin naturally lose the ability to retain the moisture and protective lipids and oils in the skin with the natural aging process, but our daily activities such as washing the face and using acne products can further dehydrate the skin. I tell my patients that dry acne is just as bad as oily acne. When skin is dry, there is a buildup of dead skin cells that can further clog pores, leading to acne. So moisturizing with a gentle, lightweight moisturizer is key for acne prone skin as well. For people with oily and acneic skin, I recommend a topical acne treatment followed by Differin Balancing Moisturizer. It’s a gentle, hypoallergenic formula that hydrates and helps balance moisture in your skin. It is noncomedogenic, hypoallergenic, and fragrance-free.”
“With all the cosmeceutical options available, there is a wide range of intensity when deciding to minimize oiliness,” explains Omar Noor, MD, FAAD, of Rao Dermatology. “An individual, man or woman, has to appreciate that not all products work at the same intensity level and therefore can be too rough or irritating to their skin. This is why I like Cetaphil’s DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer. It is a balance of effectiveness while still having an elegant vehicle to deliver that effectiveness.”
“Many of those with oily skin do not realize that they still need to moisturize to help with the overall health, texture, and appearance of their skin,” says Shari Marchbein, MD, FAAD. “Not to mention that many contain sunscreen, antioxidants, and anti-pollutants for an extra-protective barrier. For oily skin, and especially those who are acne-prone, it is important to look for moisturizers labeled as oil-free or noncomedogenic. Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 50 has been my go-to for more than a decade. I find it cosmetically elegant and lightweight enough to wear under makeup. It also contains helioplex, which gives broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.”
There are a few keywords to familiarize yourself with when looking on the shelves of a drugstore: non-greasy, noncomedogenic, and non-irritating. This moisturizer has them all. Using dermatologist-tested ceramides, this creamy lather deeply penetrates and moisturizes the skin with hardworking ingredients that won’t affect sensitive skin.
“I like the Whamisa by Glow Recipe Green Tea Moisturizer,” suggests dermatologic surgeon Dendy Engelman, MD. “It is a lightweight, oil-free, fast-absorbing moisturizer that leaves skin hydrated without heaviness. Another great callout is that it is formulated with antioxidant-rich green tea, a natural anti-inflammatory, and kale to brighten and refine troubled skin, with high concentrations of vitamins A and C.”
“I can’t express the importance of using a moisturizer even when one’s skin is oily,” says Adam Friedman, MD, and associate professor of dermatology at George Washington School of Medicine. “Oil barely contributes to skin hydration, which is why more oily acne suffers are both oily and dry (aka barrier disrupted) at the same time. That said, it’s not an easy sell to get an oily faced individual to buy into this and use a moisturizer to damp skin, which is the right way to do it. It’s always important to give options as everyone’s skin biology is a tad different—so the two brands I recommend are Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer ($12) and La-Roche Posay Effaclar Mat Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturizer. Both are designed specifically for oilier skin, with ingredients that can bind or break up sebum like diisopropyl sebacate, silicates, and starches to help reduce shine rather than contribute to it. Both are produced by companies that have a long-standing history of supporting their marketing claims with scientific evidence, which is my general rule for recommended products: Go with the brands that can put their money where the science is.”
You can tackle a couple of skin concerns in one with this multitasking moisturizer that works to control oil buildup while also fighting signs of wrinkles and fine lines. Packed with a bunch of vitamins, this gentle cream will boost your skin’s radiance.
Not your typical moisturizer, this cooling gel consistency works best when you pop it into your fridge. Its oil-free formula will melt right into your skin quickly and keep your upper layers hydrated and supple for hours on end. Made with hyaluronic acid, this dry-skin savior will amp up your glow.
Don’t let the price fool you. This budget-friendly buy is packed with powerful ingredients that’ll give your oily-prone
skin a break. If you also deal with acne, the inclusion of its salicylic acid acne medicine will combat future breakouts.
Best Organic Face Creams’
As fair complexion is considered as an important parameter of beauty, we would begin with an organic fairness cream and that is Himalaya Herbals Fairness Cream. This beauty cream claims to provide you with glowing and non-greasy skin after application. It lightens your skin tone, removes blemishes, moisturizes your skin and softens it. It also promises to even out your complexion, and reduce oil and pigmentation.
Its key ingredients provide you the following benefits:
- Persian rose – removes excess oil and dead cells.
- Aloe Vera – softens and moisturizes your skin.
- Walnut – removes dirt and blackheads, and clears acne.
- Mandarin Orange – removes blemishes.
2. Earthbound Organics Jojoba And Vitamin E Cream:
This cream is meant for normal to dry skin. It is said to provide moisturizing and nourishing effect to the skin. It softens your skin. Its main ingredients are beneficial in the following ways:
- Organic jojoba – softens and moisturizes the skin.
- Organic sunflower oil – gives soft, supple skin, and removes dead cells.
- Organic blossom water – hydrates, softens and brightens the skin.
- Organic sweet orange oil – soothes dry and irritated skin.
- Virgin beeswax – its anti-oxidant properties restore moisture.
- Vitamin E – moisturizes the skin, treats sunburn, dark spots, etc. and works as a cleansing agent.
This day face cream from St. Botanica Pure Radiance moisturizes the skin, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, adds radiance to skin complexion, and brightens skin tone. It helps boost hydration, helps in cell renewal, and restores skin elasticity for a youthful look. The ingredients in the face cream offer the following benefits:
- Vitamins: The blend of vitamins C, E, A, B3, and B5 rejuvenates and restores skin cells, refines fine lines, delays signs of aging, and protects skin from free radical damage.
- Hyaluronic acid: It provides essential hydration to the skin.
- Pure natural oils: The blend of natural oils hydrates and nourishes the skin and rejuvenates skin cells.
- Zinc oxide: It provides a broad spectrum of sun protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Shea butter, beeswax, and glycerine: They help maintain skin moisture levels.
This organic cream for face is suitable for all skin types. This herbal product is meant for the treatment of pimples, dark spots and blemishes. It contains natural extracts, which increase oxygen content and help in skin lightening. It also moisturizes and nourishes your skin. It contains ingredients, which cleanse the skin and prevent infection. Its ingredients have the following benefits:
- Babchi extract – protects the skin from sun damage.
- Amar bael – improves complexion, and treats pimples and minor skin problems.
- Olive oil – moisturizes the skin. It also gives soft, glowing skin and increases blood circulation.
- Other ingredients include Dubai Ext, Ankurit Gehu Ext and Gulab Pushpark.
This cream from Biotique is suitable for all skin types. It reduces dark spots and blemishes. It lightens the complexion and evens out the skin tone to give you glowing skin. Its main ingredients and their benefits include:
- Coco nucifera water (nariyal) – nourishes the skin. The anti-bacterial properties help fight acne.
- Dudhal – cleanses the skin, treats acne-prone skin and dryness.
- Manjistha – fights acne and minor skin problems.
- Other ingredients are almond oil and nimba kamla.
This cream from Nature’s Essence comes with Spf-15 which protects your skin from the harmful sun rays. It moisturizes your skin, removes excess oil and gives you a glowing complexion. Its daily use can make your skin soft and radiant. It also protects the skin from damaging factors. The ingredients in it provide the following benefits:
- Passion fruit- works as an antioxidant, prevents premature wrinkles and repairs sun damage.
- Nutmeg- treats minor skin problems and gives smoother skin.
- Tamarind- makes your skin glowing, fights skin blemishes and protects the skin from UV rays.
This anti-pigmentation cream from Organic Harvest reduces pigmentation and evens out the skin. It reduces spots, removes tan and sunburn, and makes your skin soft and glowing. It doesn’t contain any animal ingredients. Its key ingredients are:
- Organic daisy flower extract- brightens and lightens the skin, and reduces melanin activity.
- White mulberry- makes the skin radiant and soft, and reduces dark spots.
- It also contains Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant.
[ Read: Skin Lightening Creams ]
8. Bubble And Bee Certified Organic Face Cream:
This cream from Bubble and Bee fights blemishes and wrinkles, and treats dry skin by restoring its moisture. It rejuvenates your skin, repairs minor damages and gives you glowing skin. Its main ingredients and their benefits are:
- Organic shea butter – hydrates the skin, repairs damaged skin and helps in fighting wrinkles.
- Organic rosehip seed oil – prevents wrinkles and dark spots, and gives you glowing skin.
- Vitamin E – nourishes your skin.
As its name says, it is a skin lightening cream, which also moisturizes your skin. It contains sunscreen which protects your skin from harmful UV rays and environmental conditions. Its ingredients and their benefits are as follows:
- Cucumber- softens, soothes and tightens the skin.
- Hibiscus Sabdariffa extracts – lighten and hydrate skin.
- Licorice extract- protects the skin from UV rays and lightens it.
[ Read: Best Face Creams To Use During Winters ]
This night cream replenishes your skin. It restores skin moisture, and makes it soft, supple and glowing. It also prevents premature ageing. Its main ingredients are:
- Rosehip seed oil – fights wrinkles, spots, etc. and regenerates new skin cells.
- Peach – has Vitamin C, which is essential for healthy skin.
- Sweet almond oil- balances skin moisture, fights wrinkles and spots.
- Other main ingredients are beeswax, olive fruit oil, evening primrose, orphine extract, myrrh extract and natural essential oils.
This cream is suitable for all skin types. It protects your skin from harmful UV rays and environmental pollutants. It also fights acne, pimples and blemishes. It restores moisture and nourishes your skin. It makes your skin soft and supple. Its main ingredients provide the following benefits:
- Sandalwood – fights pimples, blemishes and acne, giving you soft and glowing skin. It also treats sunburns.
- Water lily- moisturizes the skin, eliminates impurities and works as a cleansing agent.
- Butter tree extract- fights acne and pimples. It also nourishes the skin and possesses anti-oxidant properties.
[ Also Try – Himalaya Acne N Pimple Cream Ingredients ]
*Subject to Availability
Now that you know all about the most reliable and effective face creams, consider these points to make the best purchase.
Things To Consider When Buying Organic Face Cream
- Skin Type
Organic face creams are formulated keeping in mind various skin types. Therefore, look for a cream suitable for your skin type. For oily skin, opt for a non-comedogenic organic cream to prevent greasiness. For dry skin, a cream with moisturizing ingredients like shea butter or olive oil are recommended. For normal skin, go for a soothing cream.
Many skin care creams are formulated according to different types of weather. Therefore, choose the one that fulfills your skin requirement based on the weather. For summers, a lightweight moisturizing cream works the best. For winters, a heavy and profoundly moisturizing cream is preferred.
Opt for an organic face cream that contains vitamins. Face creams with vitamins A and E prevent oxidative damage and premature aging. These vitamins also fade the signs of aging like blemishes, wrinkles, and fine lines to give you youthful, bright, and supple skin.
Opt for a cream that contains sunscreen. A cream with SPF 15 or above is recommended if you spend lots of time outdoors. You do not need to apply sunscreen separately before your makeup as a sunscreen-based face cream will do the job.