In this article, we will be discussing best things to sell on ebay to make money. Our team has researched and reviewed these best things to buy and sell on ebay to make money to help you come up with a better decision. Let’s get started on the top selling items on ebay 2020.
top selling items on ebay 2020
best things to sell on ebay to make money
Now you could be forgiven for thinking there’s no market for book readers, thanks to the introduction of e-readers and tablets. But the book community can be a fickle one, and they will stick to the physical product as they just can’t get their head around reading a “virtual book.”
Amazon sees healthy sales in relation to books, and online sellers should be able to pick up wholesale lots of second-hand books for a reasonable price.
Granted, in some instances the profit margin may be small depending on the book in question. But as you get to know what genres sell and what authors are sought after, you will soon find yourself with a healthy sales funnel.
This puts books among the most profitable things to sell online!
2. Video Games
Video games can be expensive, and not everyone has the budget to purchase the latest and greatest video games, so they will turn to stores (grade yours for free here) such as eBay and Amazon to try and pick up a bargain.
The good thing about buying and selling video games is that there is a market for everything, even old Amstrad and Amiga games from back in the 80’s and 90’s.
A little research will need to be done as to what games are sought after. Generally if you list a video game for sale at the right price, it’s likely to sell. Online sellers can focus on a specific niche, such as old retro video games, or simply buy and sell current releases.
Sellers can also be on the lookout for rare and limited releases. There are a number of video games that are worth a serious return if bought at the right price. With all that in mind, video games are definitely among the most profitable products to sell on eBay and Amazon.
3. Electronic Tablets
Like video games, tablets can be expensive, but recently there has been a plethora of models released that cater for those with a lower budget. There is also a big market in reconditioned tablets will sell at a lower retail price.
There are many dropshipping companies and wholesales that can offer a range of different models with different system specifications. There is also a market for retro gaming tablets. A tablet that has been converted to act as video game console to play the games of yesteryear.
A little research can help determine what models have the best reviews. And which offer the best value for money for customers. Online sellers can also look at which models are more child-friendly, as many tablets are bought for children.
Lego bricks remain as popular as ever today, and those with Lego sitting around could be missing out on a huge profit. While there is money to be made from the more modern movie-inspired Lego packs we see today, the real money comes from huge collections of Lego from yesteryear.
Many children back in the day would have buckets of Lego. People today are always looking for retro Lego bricks to add to their collection. If you don’t have any Lego currently, why not reach out on forums and social networks to see if anyone wants to offload their old collection for a price. The occasional easy availability of Lego makes it one of the most profitable things to sell online.
You can then generate a profit by selling Lego in bulk online. You can also buy and sell modern Lego sets, but it’s important to document if any pieces are absent. This will reflect as to how much you sell the set for.
Lego is definitely one of the five most profitable items to sell on ebay and amazon. Give it a try.
It may come as a surprise to some, but bicycles remain a hot ticket item on sites such as eBay and Amazon. There is a large market that you can cover when selling bicycles. Or you may just choose to focus on a specific niche, such as high-end bicycles.
Logistically, you may need to employ the services of a trusted courier when it comes to transporting the goods, but this can all be worth it if you are able to achieve a healthy profit. Buying the bicycles initially can be done in a number of ways.
You may want to buy bicycles that are damaged, repair them and then sell them on. Alternatively, you may just worked with a trusted bicycle wholesaler, who will ship the bicycles on your behalf. Although this is more convenient for the customer, it can minimize the profit margin.
Evidently, any online seller will need to come up with a strategy that suits them best, but with searches averaging at one per minute, you can be sure that if marketed correctly, you will be able to generate a healthy profit.
6 Stuffed Animals (Bonus)
As a quick bonus, I’d like to point your attention to stuffed animals. These have become particularly popular in 2018, as collectors and enthusiasts are skyrocketing demand. As a result, especially eBay listings are vociferously scanned and products are sold in lightning speed.
A good tip here, is to find suppliers which specialise in animals from movies and tv shows. These regularly fly off the shelves, especially if they are in good condition. Additionally, you will want to keep an eye open for rare and collectible animals. These typically fetch a handsome price, as people speculate on their value increasing over time.
These factors make stuffed animals one of the most profitable products to sell in 2018.
How can you find more highly profitable items to sell on eBay?
So now you know the five most profitable things to sell on eBay and Amazon. It’s time to go beyond and see how we can find more items to sell for a handsome profit.
Perhaps the easiest way to find out what will sell well, is by checking the the Amazon best-sellers list. On Amazon, you can hone in on categories and sub-categories and in each see the best-selling items, updated in real time. These items will most likely also be popular on eBay.
A less obvious source of inspiration for great ideas, are the best sellers lists on Ali Express which will give you a great insight into the best selling un-branded items which you will then be able to sell on for a profit.
If you have thought of these already and are seeking a more professional solution, check out Terapeak! Featuring prominently in our 30 best online selling tools list, Terapeak is a fantastic all-round selling tool which allows you to sift through “Hot Categories”. This essentially gives you a birds-eye view over categories and profitable things to sell on eBay and Amazon.
best things to sell on ebay to make money
With some clever research an online seller can source more profitable items. There are a number of online resources that allow online sellers to determine what items are selling, and what items aren’t.
Sellers can also take advantage of crazes, as long as they can evaluate how long the trend will last. There is nothing worse than purchasing stock that is deemed as profitable currently, but loses its value over a number of weeks.
Research should always be carried out, never assume that what you’re selling will always sell. For example, if you’re looking to sell books online, then ensure that the books you are purchasing are popular enough to generate a sale.
While this can’t always be done when buying in bulk, having a healthy library of respected authors will ensure that your sales funnel remains intact. I hope that this article has given some clear advice on the most profitable items to sell online.
Now that you know what to sell, you might want to brush up on how to sell profitably on eBay!
The Top Sold and Watched Products on eBay [Updated]
Now that we have covered the most profitable items to sell on eBay and Amazon, it’s worth taking a look at the most sold and watched products on these two eCommerce giants.
The distinction between profitability and selling power is relevant. It is definitely worth going into in more detail here.
Below you can see the top ten most sold items on eBay today:
Top Tip: eBay has an amazing Newsletter for buyers and sellers. It keeps you updated on the most sold and most watched items on eBay.
Definitely check it out!
9 Steps to Make a Living Selling On eBay
Steps to Getting Started and Growing an eBay Business
If you want to start making money at home quickly, with little to no investment, selling on eBay is a viable option. There are many advantages to starting an eBay business including:
It’s fast. You can create an auction today, and get paid for your item within a week.
It doesn’t cost a lot. You can start for free if you sell items you already own. Your expenses come after you’ve made a sale and have been paid.
There is a ready stream of buyers. There are over 152 million active users on eBay, according to Statista. Plus, now that eBay has a mobile app, it’s easier than ever to buy and sell on eBay. The site is so successful at helping sellers reach buyers, 40% of home businesses that sell online don’t have a website and instead use only eBay or Amazon.
But even with these advantages, it takes more than posting a few auctions to make a steady income from eBay. Like any business, you need to research, plan and then implement and evaluate your plan.
Here are nine steps to getting started and making a living on eBay.
Part One: Get Familiar with eBay
If you’ve never bought or sold something on eBay before, now is the time to do it. Taking a test drive on eBay will not only help get familiar with the system but also, determine if it’s something you want to turn into a home business.
1. Sign up for a free account. If you know you want to build a business, use the eBay business account sign-up option. If you’re not sure if you want to commit to a business and want to test drive eBay instead, use the regular eBay registration.
Sign up for a PayPal account, which will make it easy for buyers to pay you as soon as the item sells.
It’s faster and safer than taking checks. And since eBay owns PayPal, they’re integrated so that you can send a PayPal invoice through eBay to your buyer.
2. Buy something. The best way to get a feel for eBay selling is to do a transaction as a buyer first. Pay attention to the listings that attract you, such as the photo, headline, and price. Many are run as auctions, where you need to bid by indicating a price you’re willing to pay. You can set a max price, and eBay will submit your bids by increments for you until you hit the max price. Some sales are fixed prices, where buyers can “Buy Now.” These don’t require bidding and the item can be bought right away as opposed to waiting until the auction ends.
3. Sell a few items. Before you go all in on an eBay business, test out eBay by selling a few items. This will give you a sense of how the platform works, time to assess your offers, and begin to develop a system of listing, packaging, and shipping.
- Start by finding things around your home that you don’t want and listing them.
- Take quality photos and write detailed descriptions.
- Set an opening bid price to entice bidders.
- Decide if you’ll offer a guarantee and the ability for the buyer to return the item if he’s not happy.
- Outline your shipping policy, such as how it will be shipped, who pays and how much it will cost. eBay offers a shipping calculator to help with this.
- Check out other listings of a similar product to see how other sellers set up their listings.
4. Send an invoice to the winning buyer through the eBay interface. Some buyers will pay even before you invoice. If not, you can send a PayPal invoice from within your eBay account. Once payment is made, pack up the item and ship it asap.
5. Give and ask for feedback. Feedback is crucial to eBay success. If your buyer pays quickly, leave positive feedback through eBay’s feedback system. Don’t forget to ask your buyer to give you feedback once they receive the item. Make sure that your item was delivered as described and arrives quickly to ensure good feedback from your buyer.
After you’ve made a few sales, you should be able to decide if you’d like to build a full-fledged eBay business. If so, here’s how you can take your eBay sales to the next level.
Part Two: Growing an eBay Business
If your test drive goes well and you decide to build a home business from eBay, you need to find a source of items to sell and officially set up your business. Here’s how:
6. Pick a Niche. Eventually, you’ll run out of items around your home, so you’ll need to find a new source of inventory. There are a couple of ways you can do this. Based on what sold well in your home, you can find more sources of those items. Places to look are yard sales and thrift stores. Or sometimes people sell items in bulk, that you can buy, break up and sell by piece. Another option is to find products through a drop-shipper or wholesaler. These companies sell products at discounted prices that you can then sell to make a profit. Drop shipping companies will handle the order and shipping, adding your business label for a fee. A wholesaler sells items to you in bulk that you will then sell and ship.
Many eBayers focus on a specific product or type of product. Others follow trends, selling what’s popular, which requires a little bit of research. Be careful about being swayed by get-rich-quick-on-eBay offers. It’s always best to focus on items you’re knowledgeable about.
7. Set up your business. If you plan to make regular, steady income from eBay, you need to set up an official home business, including getting a business name, obtaining a license required by your city or county, and developing a business plan.
8. Run your eBay business like a business. Along with a steady stream of quality products, you need to provide great customer service, pack items well and ship them quickly, manage your inventory, and keep track of your business finances.
9. Open an eBay Store. If you’re doing well, you may want to take advantage of eBay’s store option. Having a store provides many advantages over regular eBay selling including a custom online store, increased free listings, lower final value fees, marketing tools and more.
There are many places you can sell items online without having to create your e-commerce site. While many of them are great options, eBay was a first and remains a popular go-to site for people to buy and sell.