If you are a first-time homeowner or just someone who wants to be more proactive in the home, you need the best tool set to help you. Choosing a good metal tool box can be difficult. However, choosing a home toolkit or starter tool set can be more difficult. Many are good tool kits, but not great. The reason is that a great tool set for the home comes with a variety of small tools. So what is the Best tool sets for homeowners?
Our reviews hopefully already taught you some things about tool sets and may have already led you to the set that is right for you. Of course, there’s a lot to consider, and if you haven’t made your decision yet, don’t feel bad. If you want more general information designed to help you understand what makes for a great tool set, be sure to check out this buyer’s guide. We’ve packed it full of great tips and things to consider so that you look at tool sets like a pro does and can make your decision accordingly. We’ve also designed this guide to help you get the best value for your money, so if you’re looking for a great deal, make sure you check it out.
Choosing which tool or tools you may need in the future and for those household DIY projects can be difficult. If you don’t know which toolkit you may need or want, check out this buying guide. We’ve picked out the 5 best home tool sets that are great for general use in any home. Have a look at our starter tool set reviews and ratings below.
5 Best Tool Sets for Home Owners – Reviews 2020:
1. WORKPRO All-In-One Homeowner’s Tool Set – Top Pick
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The WORKPRO W009037A All In One Tool Set is the tool kit you want to get if you need to get your home repair equipment up to speed fast. This set comes with more than 300 pieces. That’s far more than you can get in just about any kit you could find on the market today, and with that many tools, you’ll be able to find the appropriate one for any household job. This set also comes with a high-quality carrying bad. It doesn’t have enough interior pockets to keep all the pieces separate, which can make finding the right tool a bit of pain. However, it seems like it will hold up well over time.
The tools are forged with chrome vanadium steel, which is among the strongest steel formulations on the market today. These tools should last a long time because of it. They’re also coated with a full polish chrome finish, which helps them resist corrosion. If you live in a humid area, you’ll get a lot of value out of that feature. Overall, this is a set that provides great value for the price and one that will leave most people very happy with their purchase.Pros
- More than 300 pieces
- Includes carrying bag
- Chrome vanadium steel
- Anti-corrosion coatings
- No bag organizers
2. Crescent 170-Piece Home-Owner Toolkit – The Runner-Up
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The Crescent CTK170CMP2 170-Piece tool set is another good choice for those looking to get the tools they’ll need to work around the house. This model comes with 170 different tools, which will enable you to work on engines, bikes, furniture and more. It also comes with a good assortment of Metric and SAE tools. You never know which objects will require which system, so it’s a good idea to have access to both. These tools are also made from chrome vanadium steel, so you can be confident in their ability to last for years of use, and to held up to abuse without breaking down.
The case is both a highlight and a lowlight with this set. It’s updated and slightly redesigned from the previous version, and it holds up better. It also holds the tools better, in some circumstances. A complaint with the previous model was that the tools frequently fell out. While the problem isn’t as bad in this model, the sockets aren’t held in place as well as they could be. Overall this is a good set. If it came with a nice bag like our top model, it could conceivably come in first.Pros
- 170 tools
- Redesigned case
- SAE and Metric tools
- Chrome vanadium steel
- Blow mold case
3. STANLEY 65 Piece Homeowner’s Tool Set – Best for the Money
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The STANLEY 94-248 65 Piece tool kit doesn’t come with the most tools on the market, but it does come with all of the most common tools so that you’ll have everything you need for basic home repair jobs. Since you can get it for less than a third of what you’d pay for our top model, it earns the title of best value for the money on our list. It also includes some of Stanley’s Max-Drive sockets, which are designed to give 15% more torque, and perform very well in real-world situations.
This kit is inexpensive, but also contains all the basic tools you’ll need to tackle a variety of simple tasks. That makes it a great starter kit, especially for homeowners who may not be very handy and don’t need advanced tools. That makes it a great gift, as well. Like other models on this list, the case is plastic, and it sometimes doesn’t hold tools in place well, though it does a good job of keeping them safe during transport. You’d be hard-pressed to find a better tool set for the price, and if you’re just looking for the basics, you’ll be very happy with this set.Pros
- Great price
- Good tool assortment
- Max-Drive sockets
- Great starter kit
- Iffy case
4. Apollo Tools DT9706 Toolkit for Home Use – A Bargain
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The Apollo Tools DT9706 is a truly cheap tool set, retailing for about half of what you’d pay for the previous model on our list. With a price like that, you may have questions about the quality of your purchase, but this model does perform well in some key areas. It comes with 39 tools, which doesn’t approach what the other kits on our list provide, but for the price, it’s not a terrible deal. It also comes with a very compact case to hold all of the tools, making this a good kit for keeping in a car or RV, where limited space may be a concern.
However, this model does lack some tools that you might like to have on hand while you work. There are no sockets included in this kit, and you could end up spending extra to get a decent ratchet and socket set. You could probably save money and get those tools included in the third set on our list. It also only comes with one set of pliers and lacks the ever-useful needle nose variety. Still, if you’re on a very limited budget, you could be very happy with this set.Pros
- 39 pieces
- Lacks sockets
- Only one set of pliers
5. Blues 119Piece Home Repair Tool-Set
Check Latest Price on Amazon
The Blues 119Piece Home Repair Tool Kit is another kit that is priced low enough to make many people wonder about its overall durability. It comes with 119 pieces, but lands somewhere between the third and fourth models on our list in terms of price. So, if you want a ton of tools at a discount price, this kit is probably the one for you. Though, you will have to put up with a case that’s easily the worst on this list. It’s so poorly made that most of the tools will fall out of place while you walk around, and it lacks any manner of securing the sockets, so those will be loose no matter what.
There’s an additional question about the quality of the tools inside. There are no special treatments applied to the steel, which may just be raw steel. That means these tools aren’t going to have the same strength as those in other sets on our list. Given these downsides, most people will be better off buying a tool set that has fewer, better tools, or spending more to get a kit that has all the tools they’ll need at a good quality.Pros
- 119 pieces
- Low price
- Very bad case
- Questionable quality for price
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.