Getting stuck on the side of the road can be a pain in the you know what. Whether you’re taking a short ride around town or a road trip across the country, you should always carry a motorcycle tool kit. They are portable and provide some peace of mind, particularly if you’re traveling long distances. We highlight some of the best motorcycle tool kits and some of the Best travel tool kit options in the buying guide below.
Best Motorcycle Tool Kit Reviews & Recommendations 2020
BEST OVERALL Biker’s Choice Roll-Up Tool Kit
CHECK LATEST PRICE
If you have a Harley-Davidson, then this tool kit is a great option. It has a variety of tools, including 1/2 and 9/16-inch open-ended wrenches, a 3/8-inch drive ratchet, locking pliers, a pen-type tire gauge, cable ties, electrical wire, a 10-piece hex key set, a six-in-one screwdriver, a flashlight, and electrical tape.
Whether you are stranded or simply need to take your seat off to access the battery, this basic set of tools will do the trick. They are high-quality and durable, and the kit is surprisingly light and compact considering how many tools are included. It’s easy to carry on your bike, and it rolls up nicely to save space in your saddlebag.
However, the tool kit cannot be used on metric bikes. It’s also too heavy and bulky to fit in a fork bag and some other types of bags because it is larger than you may think. In addition, the flashlight isn’t very good and can easily break.
BEST VALUE Cruztools SKHD SPEEDKIT Compact Tool Kit
CHECK LATEST PRICE
This SPEEDKIT for Harley-Davidsons works on all models except the V-Rod. It has wrenches, nut drivers, star bits, hex wrenches, a five-in-one screwdriver, pliers, a two-in-one spark plug socket, and a tire pressure gauge. The bag is 7 by 2 by 2 inches.
This tool kit’s biggest advantage is its small size. All the tools fit into a durable pouch that can fit in a fork bag. There is space in the bag to add items such as zip ties, a flashlight, spark plugs, electrical tape, and wire cutters. Overall, it contains most of the tools you may need in an emergency, and it’s a great price.
Unfortunately, the tools aren’t the highest quality and are pretty basic. Also, the kit doesn’t include items such as zip ties, a small knife, and a flashlight. In addition, the tools may be coated in an oily residue.
Best travel tool kit
HONORABLE MENTION Stockton Tool Company SAE Roadside Tool Kit
CHECK LATEST PRICE
The Stockton Roadside tool kit has a variety of ratchet, adjustable, Torx, and ball end Allen wrenches as well as drive sockets, locking and needle-nose pliers, snips, Phillips and slotted screwdrivers, a tire pressure gauge, safety wire, electrical wire, towel, zip ties, fuses, and fuel line hose.
It’s a good kit for most minor repairs and roadside emergencies. It’s fairly compact and portable, so it fits in most saddlebags or other storage areas. It features many pockets and Velcro closures.
However, while the tools are fine for an emergency, they are not high enough quality for day-to-day use. They may break if you use too much torque, so you’ll have to systematically replace the tools in the bag as they fail. There have also been some complaints that the kit is heavy and bulky.
Pit Posse Harley Davidson Folding Tool Set 12 in 1 SAE Motorcycle Tool
CHECK LATEST PRICE
This 12-in-1 carbon steel and ABS multitool is designed for Harley-Davidsons and includes the following tools: 5/32, 3/16, and 1/4-inch hex keys; T25 and T27 Torx keys; and a 1/4-inch driver with 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2-inch sockets. It also has a 10mm box and 9/16 open-end wrenches, a spoke wrench, and a slotted and Phillips screwdriver. The company provides a 30-day warranty.
This is a great option if you want something extremely lightweight and small. It fits under your seat or in your pocket. The device measures 3.5 inches long and 1-inch wide when it’s folded. It also comes with a storage pouch and a loop to attach to your belt. It’s a handy and very affordable gadget to have if you want an emergency tool set and need to make minor repairs on the go.
The biggest problem with this multitool is it’s not useful on metric bikes. Also, even though it’s fine as a roadside set, it’s definitely not intended for everyday repairs. In addition, the nut that secures the tool together may come off.
Oxford Bike Tool Kit Pro
CHECK LATEST PRICE
This 27-piece tool kit is designed for use related to minor roadside repairs. Tools include wire cutters, needle-nose pliers, an adjustable mini spanner, Allen key set, 10-piece screwdriver bit set, extension bar, five-piece hex key set, socket set, and cable ties.
The kit is small and compact and will fit under most seats. The tools are made of high-quality carbon steel and have ergonomic, soft gel handles for comfort. The tools are good-quality, and the mini ratchet handle only needs five degrees of movement to turn a fastener. Also, the 20mm spanner works on a variety of bolt sizes.
However, the case is not very good, and the cable ties are very flimsy. There have also been some complaints that a tool or two may be broken out of the box.
Windzone Motorcycle Essential Tool Kit
CHECK LATEST PRICE
According to Windzone, its tool kit can successfully tackle 99 percent of roadside as well as garage repairs. It features a six-in-one screwdriver, Allen and Torx head wrenches, spark plug sockets, a ratchet, a flashlight, and an Essenti-Tool. Each tool is drop forged and chrome-plated, while the pouch is made of heavy-duty nylon with a moisture-repelling sheath.
This Harley-Davidson tool kit is a great value, and it’s compact and easy to use. It features a nice assortment of components, and when you’re done using the tools they roll back up neatly into the pouch. It fits nicely in a saddlebag or swingarm pouch, and overall it’s a pretty good emergency tool kit.
Unfortunately, this kit is designed for Harley-Davidsons and not metric bikes. Also, you may want to remove and add a few tools for customization because items such as the ratchet aren’t the best quality. In addition, the kit may have a slight odor, the multi-tool is not very useful, and it’s a little heavy.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.