From my research, I created a short list to help you narrow down your own list and to save you some valuable time.
Our old travel suitcases were American Tourister, but were at the end of their lifespan!
None of the handles retracted without wrestling with them, and Savannah’s suitcase was falling apart at the seams – four-year-olds tend to care less about looking after things, lol.
How to Choose a Suitcase for Travel
Because we travel in so many different ways – road trips, flights, weekend getaways, cruises – I wanted a quality luggage brand that’s practical for a family of four, durable and good value for money!
I wanted to know the best suitcase brands in regards to:
- hard shell or soft shell
- two wheels or four wheels
- style and price point
I’m not looking for a $2,000+ Louis Vitton suitcase. And I’m not looking for a cheap one trip throw away either – I do that with cheap sunglasses – but it’s time we got some quality luggage!
So when I’m talking about the best suitcases for travel, I’m talking about a reputable brand that will stand the test of our lifestyle of constant travel – at a fair price!
Of course, we all have our own travel style, and there is no perfect suitcase for everyone.
Researching the best suitcases for overseas travel is time-consuming.
With so many options between different brands, price points, and features it’s hard to know where to start and what are the good suitcases from the bad.
What Type of Travel Will You Use Your Suitcase For?
Before we get into my list of suitcases (see point 14 below in table of contents), let’s consider a few things you need to keep in mind when deciding which suitcase brand is right for you.
But I do recommend you read this entire post so you don’t miss any important tips!
Is your suitcase is for flying?
Then know the weight limits for your airlines of choice.
Make sure you can handle the size and weight of your luggage getting to and from your home to the airport – lifting it into your car, upstairs, at check-in etc.
Is your luggage for road trips?
Make sure your suitcase will fit comfortably into the storage compartment of your vehicle.
Is your suitcase is for cruising?
Keep in mind they typically stack your luggage in the boat’s belly before departure so a flat, rigid suitcase may be best.
And make sure the size will fit comfortably in your cabin if you don’t like to unpack.
What are the Best Suitcase Sizes?
Just so you know, I’m not looking to purchase a carry-on suitcase but a CHECK-INsuitcase so this blog post and research focus on that type of luggage.
But I still want to get a size that’s most suitable for us without going too big!
And I’m not looking for a duffel bag!
Let’s be honest: as wonderful as it is, traveling can be stressful. Here at Travel Fashion Girl, we aim to make your adventures as calm and hassle-free as possible. A sure way to decrease drama while traveling is to ensure you’re using the best travel luggage for your needs.
Whether or not you choose to travel carryon only, always use packing cubes to help you organize and even compress your belongings to maximize your space.
The following guide–with handy tips from industry experts–will assist you in choosing luggage or “portable wardrobe” for your exciting adventure.
The secret to traveling light is to create a functional but minimalist capsule wardrobe. Learn more in my guide!
Why Travel with a Suitcase?
Suitcases versus backpacks is a popular debate in the passionate travel community. This article is all about suitcases, so here are a few reasons why choosing luggage rules over backpacks:
- Personal convenience: Suitcases win hands down for their ease. You’ll hardly break a sweat easily maneuvering it through the airport.
- Wheels: It’s all about the wheels! It’s kind of satisfying to roll your suitcase with ease, secretly (smugly) watching fellow travelers buckle under the weight of their backpack. This convenient feature gives a major edge to the suitcase.
- A Sweat-Free Back: Need I say more?
- Health: Not everyone is physically able to lift a suitcase or carry a backpack due to health issues. Read these tips on traveling with a bad back.
- Organized Packing: Nothing’s worse for travel organization than a top-loading backpack. Having a clear view of all your belongings when you unzip your suitcase is priceless. Find out how to choose the best luggage organizers.
- Safety: Hard cases have many benefits for durability and safety. Here are a few more tips on how to keep your valuables safe while traveling.
- Professionalism: A suitcase offers a more professional image when traveling for business (and at luxury hotels). Here are a few business travel essentials.
Ask yourself: “Where am I going and how am I getting there?” Olivia Hulett of Ricardo Beverly Hills suggests keeping these two questions in mind when choosing a suitcase: selecting the right case for the destination and length of your trip is essential.
What is the best carry-on luggage? is a question on every traveler’s mind these days. For me, there is nothing quite like a chic retro-inspired suitcase to induce that sense of wanderlust. For you, it could be a practical backpack, a striking designer piece, or a professionally looking hardside spinner packed with all technical conveniences. In the end, there is no right or wrong answer to this question, but rather different needs and preferences.
Luckily for all of us, with high demand comes even higher competition, and that means innovation, creativity, and choice. Luggage brands around the world are building better and better carry-on bags each year in order to satisfy every traveler’s taste and budget.
Whether you prefer your cabin companion stylish and classic, chic and feminine, or exceptionally practical and equipped with a bevy of tech features, we’re pretty sure you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for in the list below.
Here you have them, our handpicked recommendations for the best carry-on luggage in 2020 for every type of traveler. Bon voyage!
When it comes to choosing a good trolley luggage bag, the first thing that you need to check is to see if the bag is indeed durable. Given that, you may want to take a closer look at this model as the Skybag trolley duffle comes from one of the leading luggage brands, VIP. The bag is certainly spacious enough and yet, at the same time, compact with a nice, sleek design. It comes with a butterfly lock as well a handle that collapses with ease. Check out some of the main features of this bag.
What we liked
- It comes with a sleek and compact design
- It comes with butterfly lock as well as collapsing handle
- It comes with two wheels
- It also comes with a reinforced base for support
- And it also comes with a three-year product warranty
What we did not like
- it could have come with a better design
2. American Tourister Sunset Square ABS 77 cms Red Hard Sided Suitcase
When it comes to trolley luggage, they come in different shapes and sizes and even consist of everything from hard luggage cases to soft ones. If you are on the lookout for a hard case trolley luggage, then you would be pleased with this trolley suitcase from American Tourister. It comes with ABS casing and is dark red in colour. But what makes this particular model stand out is that it is water and wear resistant, making it the perfect travel companion. Just check out some of the features of this trolley luggage,
What we liked
- It is durable, strong and wears as well as water resistant
- It comes with strong ABS casing on the outside
- it comes with a number lock as well as four wheels
- it comes with the following measurements as well, 52 cms x 29 cms x 77 cms (LxWxH)
- it also comes with a 3-year international warranty
What we did not like
- it is not that spacious