A dynamo is an energy-generating hub that’s built into a bike’s front wheel, primarily to power lights.
Early dynamos were tyre-driven, having first become popular between the First and Second World War, when English bike component manufacturer Sturmey Archer introduced the ‘Dynohub’, which moved the generator inside the hub of the front wheel.
Initially quite clunky designs, they’ve come on leaps and bounds since then, yet although they’re more commonplace in cycling hotbeds like Germany and the Netherlands, they remain quite unfashionable elsewhere, in places like North America, in particular.
Best Bike Dynamo Lights:
Reelight SL150 Bicycle Light Kit (Price not available)
A brilliant little bicycle dynamo light that mounts on to the hub quickly and easily. Suitable for all bikes with V-brakes and coaster brakes, it causes no friction and, once attached, requires no further maintenance.
Reelight SL150 Bicycle Light Kit
- Quickly and easily mounted on the hub.
- Light produces its own environmentally friendly induction current by means of a coil inside the light and magnets attached to the wheel spokes, with no batteries at all. Light is mounted on the…
- Continuous lighting: the lighting is continuous while cycling.
Busch & Müller Toplight Flat Plus LED Dynamo Rear Light (£21.99)
This self-powered bike light goes on the front and rear of your bicycle, with an extremely long LED lifespan and no need for batteries.SALE
Busch & Müller Toplight and LED Dynamo Rear Light
- Material: 90% polyester, 10% polyurethane
£22.14 −£0.15 £21.99Buy on Amazon
Busch & Müller Lumotech Self-Powered Bike Front Light (£80.60)
If you want the brightest front dynamo bike light, you won’t get much better than this one which provides a 100lux rating and can light up your path for around 40 metres with ease.
Easy to assemble and one of – if not the – best dynamo front light around with bright LEDs guiding you the way.
Busch & Müller Lumotech Self-Powered Bike Front Light
- Design headlight with aluminum housing. Extremely wide, wide and homogeneous IQ-X illumination with up to 100 lux
- With daytime running lights at the front and additional LED`s with lateral radiation. Rear, blue background, on / off button
- Switching sensor and parking light as standard
£80.60Buy on Amazon
Kingtop LED Dynamo Front Bike Light (Price not available)
An on/off button comes on the back of this battery-free bike light, as well as electric cables to connect the light to the dynamo.
Kingtop LED Dynamo Front Bike Light
- Original Cree LED lamp with 40lux brightness and good light coverage area for better visibility in the dark. With anti-glare design.
- 2 configurations: the lamp is equally suitable for general bicycles as well as mountain bikes with the Nirosta holder. The Nirosta holder (diameter: 31.5 mm) can also be used as a stand for a Go Pro…
- Holds a variety of bicycles: 6 V-48 V wide range design, for electric bikes, dynamos, and hub dynamos with surge protector.
Buy on Amazon
AXA LED Dynamo Rear Bike Light (£12.76)
A similarly reliable dynamo light for the read of your bike, it provides high-quality visibility while you cycle, and also comes with connectors to connect your hub dynamo electric cables.SALE
AXA LED Dynamo Rear Bike Light
- Steady light, 4 minutes light while standing still
- Automatic light/dark sensor
- High power 50 lux LED light, more than 50,000 hours life span
£12.99 −£0.23 £12.76Buy on Amazon