No matter what you do, your bike will eventually break down due to regular wear. Taking your bike to the mechanic for small repairs can be costly, so why not just do it yourself? Bike tools are important to every biker — be it for daily routine maintenance or on the fly fixes. So what are the best Bike tool brands for you?
Although each bike is different, most of the bike tools featured in this article work with any bike types or brands. You don’t need an entire garage of tools to work on your bike. All you need are standard ones and a couple of bike-specific tools to get things moving.
The old saying, “buy quality, buy once” applies to bike tools more than anything else. Quality tools last much longer, work better and are less likely to damage your bike compared to its low-quality counterparts. When buying bike tools, think of them as an investment instead of a cost.
Best bike tool brands
1. Birzman 13 Piece Essential Tool Kit
Find Out More
For those who are serious about the quality of their bike tools, they should check out this tool kit made by Birzman, a Taiwan-based company that turns out high-end tools.
You’ll be impressed by the case alone, which features a special carrying case with molded pockets for each tool to live in when it isn’t in use. This 13-piece essential tool kit does just what it implies. It gives you every tool you need for the most common repairs and maintenance needs your bike will have.
This set includes a full set of hex and spoke wrenches, along with a chain whip, BB tool, cassette tool, screwdrivers, drive sockets and disc brake gap indicator. The carrying case makes this kit ready for travel to your next ride start location.
Just throw the Birzman tool kit in the back of your car and go.
2. Feedback Sports Ride Prep Tool Kit
Find Out More
Sometimes you only need those tools that are essential to get your bike ready for your ride. If you’re looking for a set of tools that will help you carry out your pre-ride maintenance checklist, then check out the Feedback Sports Ride Pre Tool Kit.
This set includes everything you need to get your bike tuned up for your ride including a full set of Torx and hex wrenches, and a variety of specialty wrenches including a valve extender wrench and 15mm pedal wrench.
And it all fits into a convenient carrying case for easy transport to and from your ride start. You’ll be impressed with the Pro level quality of this set.
The tools are precision cut to minimize stripping. They also feature large rubber grips for improved grip. While you may pay a little more for this set, the quality is certainly worth it.
3. Unior Pro Home Tool Kit
Find Out More
If you haven’t heard of Unior tools before. Then allow me to fill you in.
This company, which is based out of Slovenia with its bike tool operations in the U.S., is the official tool supplier for four Pro Tour teams and a number of UCI World Cup MTB teams in addition to being a co-title sponsor of Unior-Devinci Factory Racing Team.
Most notably, Unior is the tool supplier for Trek Bicycles service shops. That should give you an idea of the quality of the tools in its Pro Home Set. This impressive kit includes all the essential tools you need to tackle a host of maintenance and repair tasks.
It has all the tools you’d expect plus the less common ones, such as a pocket truing tool and Master Link pliers. And, the Unior Pro Home Tool Kit fits compactly into a molded carrying case for easy transport to and from your ride location.
4. Feedback Sports Team Edition Tool Kit
Find Out More
If you’re serious about maintaining your own bike, so serious that you don’t even trust the trained bike mechanic at your local shop to touch it, then you need a quality tool kit that will allow you to do the repairs and maintenance that your bike needs.
The Feedback Sports Team Edition tool kit gives you everything you need to complete repairs, maintenance, and upgrades.
This kit includes 19 tools covering 25 different functions. In addition to a complete set of Torx and hex wrenches, this kit also includes less common tools such as a valve core tool, crank arm cap tool and rotor truing tool.
It all fits compactly into a carrying case that you can throw into the back of your car as you head out on that weekend destination cycling trip. And while the price may seem too good to be true, you’ll be wowed by the quality and precision cut of these tools.
No stripping out bolts or screws with this kit.
5. Park Tool PK-4 Professional Tool Kit
Find Out More
Park Tool is the household name when it comes to bike tool. The name itself screams pro and high quality.
Walk into any of your local bike shops and chances are you’ll see Park Tool in their workshop.
The PK-3 is Park Tool’s professional range of tool set with over 70 different sets of tools available. These extensive range of tools will get you through most of the advanced bike repair and maintenance tasks on all types of bikes.
It even comes with the Cyclone Chain Scrubber, which is a nice bonus. In my opinion, it’s the best and most effective chain cleaner around.
Best of all, all these tools can be stored in a carry box, which is about the size of your average tool box in the garage.
So, if you’re after the highest quality and extensive range of bike tools, look no further than the Park Tool PK-4.
6. Topeak PrepStation 2
Find Out More
If you do enough DIY work on your bike, then you know that there is nothing more frustrating for a bike mechanic than not having the right tool for the job,
Well, actually, there’s one thing more frustrating. Having the right tool for the job but not being able to find it. Your tools are worthless if you can’t find them.
That’s why you need to keep everything organized. That’s what the Topeak has in mind with its PrepStation 2, which comes complete with a 40 piece toolset and a mobile workbench in which to store them.
This five-level wheeled tower features a series of labeled shelves that make your tools easy to find. Forty tools add up to a lot of weight. In order to support all that weight, the Topeak PrepStation 2 is made of heavy-duty plastic with large 5-inch rubber wheels for easy transport.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.