Finding the best Cheap tool sets online or cheap mechanic tool sets can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top hand tool sets in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
Mechanic’s Tool Set Pricing
$50 and under: Budget mechanic’s tool sets are usually limited in size and quality. The best ones still have high-quality tools, but some corners may be cut with the case or included accessories, especially anything made of plastic. It is common, however, to find a decent 100+ piece in this range.
$50-$100: In the midrange, there are many durable mechanic’s tool sets for DIYers. You will tend to either find smaller kits with better tools or larger kits that cut the same corners with the included accessories.
$100 and above: This is the range you will want to consider if you want something that is near professional quality. Professional kits use materials that can survive the typical abuse automotive maintenance can dish out and include larger sets with less common tools you may need every so often.
It may seem rather obvious, but the most important feature of any tool set is the selection of tools it offers. All kits are different in the number of pieces they include, but most tend to offer a standard array of common tools and sizes as a start. At the very least, the kit should come with a complete wrench set and a healthy assortment of sockets, nut drivers, combination wrenches, and hex keys. Look for larger, more expensive kits if you want less common tools like a tape measure, utility knife, spark plug sockets, and torque wrenches. If possible, make sure the set includes tools made of the same material like chrome vanadium steel or alloy steel.
The more tools you have, the more you will need in terms of storage and portability. This is where a quality storage case or tool chest comes in handy. For the most part, the case needs to offer a decent amount of protection and organization to keep everything in place. Hard plastic cases are the most common type. Make sure the outer surface has enough rigidity to survive knocks and scrapes or the unexpected fall if necessary and an anti-slip coating to keep the case in place. On the inside, the case should have a dedicated spot for each piece it includes with slots that will hold the tools in place if you move the case around.
- Automotive Needs: There isn’t a single best mechanic’s toolset available. Instead, the best one is the one that meets your unique needs. To know which one that is, you need to think about the types of automotive issues you want to address. Do you need one for simple, periodic maintenance? Do you need something more expansive to cover less common problems? The needs and intended use of the toolset will help you determine which one you really need.
- Multiple Sizes: The real benefit of the best mechanics tool sets is the modularity socket wrenches and sets offer when it comes to dealing with different fastener and part sizes in a vehicle. This makes the size of the sockets and other attachments important. First and foremost, you should have a set that has both metric and SAE sizes. You should also have the most common sizes for typical fasteners you’re likely to find in your local hardware store.
Cheap tool sets online
BEST OVERALLDewalt Mechanics 204-Piece Tool Kit
CHECK LATEST PRICE
This five-star kit has 204 pieces, including ratchets, extensions, swivel heads, short- and deep-set sockets, combination open-end and box wrenches, Allen wrenches, and screwdriver-tipped sockets.
The knurled beauty rings on the ratchets give you a firm grip and the sizes on the sockets are laser-etched so they are clearly marked—which means a lot less fumbling around in search of the correct sized socket. The 72-gear system gives you high torquing ability while the 5-degree arc swing provides maneuverability, especially in tight areas. The carrying kit is great for storage and transporting the tools to the work area where you need them.
There are a couple of downsides, though. The hex wrench sizes may not be big enough, especially for doing brake work. Also, the pieces can get loose in the case and the full case is quite heavy to carry around.
BEST VALUECrescent CTK170CMP2
CHECK LATEST PRICE
The Crescent CTK170CMP2 Tool Set makes a great starter or upgrade kit for mechanics and DIYer alike. The set actually comes with a few different options for included pieces, but the 170-piece kit offers the most bang for the buck.
Meeting ANSI and ASME specifications, the tools around the 170-piece kit are geared around the most common automotive tasks and parts. Coming with a variety of sizes of rachet and socket wrenches (both metric and SAE), the tools are high end and feel sturdy in the hand. The size of the case also makes it easy to store in a vehicle or in the garage in compact spaces.
While the tools are good, the case is a different story. Made of the typical cheap plastic near-budget tool sets use, the case is flexible and hardly impact-resistant. It’s also somewhat difficult to keep the individual tools organized within the case since the plastic organizers and slots don’t keep everything together when carrying the set around as well as more expensive options.
HONORABLE MENTIONCraftsman 450-Piece Tool Set
CHECK LATEST PRICE
When it comes to sheer bulk, Craftsman’s 450-piece mechanic’s tool set takes things to the extreme. Using three quick-release ratchets, the kit includes a number of sockets, extension bars, and combination wrenches to tackle almost anything a vehicle can throw at you. Outside of a few pliers, gloves, and other random automotive tools, this kit includes it all.
The real draw of this kit is the variety of tools and bits it includes. For working on different cars or different areas of a single car, this kit comes the closest to being “ready for anything” outside of 1,000+ piece kits. Quality wise, the tools share the same construction quality as other Craftsman tools (and other mechanic’s tools around the same price).
Given a large amount of included pieces, carrying around the entire set is less than ideal due to the weight. The kit is divided into separate cases, so you can take a portion of the overall toolset if needed, but it’s less convenient. The cases also suffer from the common toolset issue of failing to keep tools in place while moving the kit around.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.