I would be lying if I said I didn’t love all things revolving around hair. From curling irons and hair masks to smoothing serums and discovering new ways to style the latest trending look, you could probably call me obsessed.
But while I’m always on the hunt for the perfect products to get the undone bend in my hair or the quintessential beach waves, there comes a time when I’m in need of sleek, smooth, and frizz-free straight hair. (Or at the very least, somewhat close to that.)
While on a typical day I might reach for my flat iron to smooth out any bends I have accumulated over the night, oftentimes I try to give myself and my hair a break from hot tools and opt for alternative ways to achieve the sultry sleek look of the ’90s à la Rachel Green.
If you’ve ever been in a situation like me — where you aren’t trying to fry your hair on a daily basis — look no further. I’ve rounded up some prime hair products that will leave your hair as smooth as can be, sans high intensity heat. From simple shampoos to serums and more, these products will make your stick straight and smooth.
If you’re looking for a semi-permanent product, this is the treatment for you.
Like its namesake, this serum will leave your hair smooth and silky soft.
This vegan straightening conditioner makes easily tangled hair much more manageable.
Here’s another straightening balm that will keep your styled ‘do in place.
A straightening balm made with acai? Yes, please!
No matter how you style you hair after using this cream, your hair will feel sleek and smooth. You won’t be able to stop running your fingers through your hair — I guarantee it.
While women with straight hair think about how to make it wavier, women with curly hair are dreaming about making it silky straight. Many styling devices can harm the hair structure, and you can’t always be sure about the effect of chemical hair straightening procedures.
Bright Side gathered several natural ways to make hair straight, and we want to share them with all the women who have curly hair.
Proper styling begins in the shower.
- It’s not a joke. You won’t create a good hairdo without a good shampoo and conditioner. In this case, make sure you choose products that contain keratin, which is well known for good straightening properties.
- After washing your hair, use a towel made of a highly absorbent material. For example, an antibacterial bamboo bathroom towel.
- Very gently, dry your hair with a towel to avoid hair damage and fuzziness. Carefully rub it with a towel along the length to remove excess moisture.
Choose the right type of comb.
- Don’t use round brushes because they’re made to curl the hair, especially at the ends.
- To brush your hair properly, use a wide tooth comb — it’s great for untangling your hair. You can even use it in the shower to apply conditioner to every inch of your locks.
You can make your hair straight by combing it.
- Let your hair dry naturally after the shower, but don’t forget to comb it every 5 minutes. Part your hair in several sections, and slightly pull each section so that your hair remains in a straight form. You can use a hair dryer as well but only on the cool setting.
A ponytail can help you conquer stubborn curly hair.
- After a proper washing, wait until your hair is at least 70% dry and make a low tight ponytail. If you have bangs or hair that falls out of a ponytail, fix it with hairpins. Comb the ponytail to make sure there are no tangles.
- Use several hair ties to fix your hair every 5-7 cm (the number of hair ties depends on the length of your hair). Cover your head with a silk scarf, and wait until your hair is dry. Pull off the scarf, and remove all the hair ties. Comb your hair. There you go!
Or you can use a secret from Latin American women.
- In Latin America, women have their own secret to straight hair: the technique is called “La toca.” To style curly hair, women from tropical countries wash their hair, blow-dry it on the cool setting, and wrap their mostly dry hair around their head, fixing it with hairpins. The next morning they wake up with straight shiny hair.
Learn more about cosmetic straightening:
- Straightening creams and serums
They should be applied along the length of the hair and left to dry. These products protect from UV rays and damaging and overheating of the hair structure. The only drawback is they can’t be used with a hair dye because it blocks the cream from getting into the hair’s core. Thus, the effect of use won’t be noticeable.
- Straightening sprays and smoothing oils
They can be applied to both wet and dry hair. Despite the convenience of using sprays, they have an unpleasant disadvantage: most of them contain silicone and other harmful ingredients that pile up in the hair and damage it from the inside. On the other hand, oils work well for both hair straightening and heat protection.
Using hair masks on a regular basis will make your hair look silky and smooth. Hair masks are made to nourish and moisturize your hair as well as work on its internal structure. When hair is healthy from the inside, it looks gorgeous in any style.
- 3-oils mask
Mix olive oil, castor oil, and burdock oil in equal proportions. The amount of the oils depends on the length of your hair and its thickness. The mix should be heated up in a water bath and applied to the full length of your hair. Wrap your hair in a warm towel, and keep the mask on for 40 minutes.
- Olive oil mask
If you don’t have the types of oils mentioned above, you can use just one. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and apply it to your hair. Cover your hair with a plastic wrap to create a mini “greenhouse effect.” For a better effect, leave the mask on overnight and wash your hair in the morning (though it might be a bit difficult to wash the mask off). You might need to apply your shampoo several times to wash off the oils properly. You can also rinse your hair with 1 liter of warm water with lemon juice.
One more little helper: a colorless henna
- Another popular product that many women with curly hair use is a henna. It makes the hair structure a bit thicker, and, as a result, it becomes heavier and straighter. It can also be used to treat dandruff and prevent split ends.
Apple cider vinegar as a natural hair straightener
Hair can also be straightened at home with apple cider vinegar. Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one cup of water, and put it in a spray bottle. Spray your washed hair over the whole length. Leave it for a few minutes, and then rinse with warm water. You can make the spray for future use by mixing half a glass of apple cider vinegar and 1.5 liters of warm water. Then just pour the mix into a spray bottle, and use it whenever you want your hair straight.