Finding the best Dewalt adapter kit and dewalt battery adapter kit for 18v tools can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top dewalt 18v to 20v adapter kit review in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
DeWalt has announced the launch of the Dewalt 20V Max Battery Adapter. A lot of 18V cordless tool users will be happy with this, especially those who heavily invested in DeWalt’s 18V tool system. With this adapter, it will be easier for 18V users to experience higher capacity batteries with lithium-ion technology. Stepping up from nickel-cadmium (NiCd) and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, lithium-ion boasts plenty of advantages. Lithium-ion batteries have relatively low self-discharge, are lightweight, and have higher density energy making it the new standard battery for power tools these days.
“Consumers and pros that aren’t heavy users should be able to expect 5 or more years out of their cordless tools. As technology has left NiCd and NiMH behind, lithium-ion is the dominant standard in the industry. We wondered if there would ever be a solution to bring DeWalt’s stick style 18V batteries into the lithium-ion technology with the change to slide style packs on the 20V Max system. The DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter makes that happen.”
Dewalt adapter kit
The DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter will allow most of DeWalt’s 18V cordless tools to function and operate with DeWalt’s 20V Max Lithium-Ion batteries. It’s going to add some height to the tool as well as a little bit of weight. However, moving to lithium-ion chemistry is worth the trade off. The new adapter is compatible with six 20V Max battery packs plus two Bluetooth enabled batteries, allowing users to choose the optimal battery for a the application at hand.
- 2.0Ah XR
- 4.0Ah XR
- 5.0Ah XR
- 2.0Ah Bluetooth enabled
- 4.0Ah Bluetooth enabled
SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter Packages
- DCA1820 stand-alone: $39
- DCA2203C (2) 2.0 amp hour lithium-ion batteries, plus charger: $149
- Warranty: 3 year limited, 90 day money back guarantee, 1 year free service
- Availability: October 2015
What is the Compatibility of the DeWalt DCA1820 Battery Adapter?
The DW Adapter comes with 6 battery options, which include:
- 3 Ah
- 1.5 Ah
- 2.0 Ah XR
- 3.0 Ah
- 4.0 Ah XR
- 5.0 Ah XR
You should note that the Bluetooth batteries 2.0 Ah and 4.0 Ah can also be used with Dewalt’s 18v tools, so this definitely offers a little extra compatibility for you, as well.
Of course, there is also another reason to smile about this, because the reality is that your tooth won’t be blue at all—and neither will you! Isn’t that great? (but not as great as my jokes, right?).
- The battery and charger don’t force you to buy individually or as a set—they can be purchased separately but can also be purchased as a kit. If you already have a usable charger (or battery) then you needn’t fork over the dough for these things. Today, many tools have the “baretool” setup and that more or less forces us to buy each item one-by-one which is expensive, while others only come in a kit and that requires us to spend more on something we don’t need. No problem with that here.
- Dewalt’s battery adapter is quite variable so it can be and is actually designed to be used with a wide range of battery-operated tools within the popular and highly-rated De Walt arsenal.
- It allows for full use of battery sizes up to 20V, even when combined and used with DeWalt 18v tools.
- A excellent 3 year warranty is provided and even includes free service for 1 year after the purchase, which is quite impressive for something as affordable as it is. It is also readily available and value-priced at online shopping portals such as Amazon.
- It is very light weight due to the design of both the material and the operating angle, which balances the battery quite nicely. The cool thing is that you can literally get 20v power usage with an 18v weight. Just imagine how jealous your friends will be when they see you whirring away faster than they are with their new tools. Your dog may not understand the value of this (unless he’s Old Yeller of course), but rest assured, your friends will.
- The design allows for a slim and unobtrusive profile (see image above) which means that it doesn’t add much to your tool in the way of bulk, awkwardness, or clumsiness. When you factor this into the light weight I mentioned above, then I think you’ll really appreciate these aspects when you’re busy using your drill and aren’t bothered by fatigue or handling issues.
- One of the sad truths is that this battery adapter cannot be used with the 18V XRP battery charger. Yes, sadly, it’s true: not all things are perfect, not even the DeWalt power tool lineup and matching adapter :(.
- The DCA1820 battery adapter doesn’t work with chargers of various previous models. This is, to me, a somewhat small but VERY important point for you to remember. It’s quite possible for you to place an order for one of these little gems and upon its arrival, realizing that it’s not compatible with the current charger that you have in-hand. A simple and fast check in the Death Star Plans — or in the product specs — will tell you quickly if this is truly the droid–err, charger that you seek.
- A separate charger is actually required to work with this DeWalt 18v to 20v adapter. It seems like a no-brainer, but after I looked into other people who ordered it online, there have actually been some people to order it without looking closely enough at the product details (or maybe just not thinking about it). As a result, I think that it’s important for you that I note that this is an ADAPTER ONLY, and not an actual charger itself. In other words, it connects to the tool and allows you to attach the battery, but does not itself connect to any power outlet nor charge the battery. If you don’t have a working charger, then you’ll essentially either need to buy one or perhaps “permanently” borrow one from your neighbor (we don’t recommend the fiver-finger discount). If you are like my brother was back when we were teenagers, then you could just take it from a close friend or family member and later pretend that it was always yours!
- I’ve already mentioned this before, but I think it’s important to reiterate that it is definitely NOT compatible with every single portable DeWalt tool ever made. Again, this may seem obvious to most of you—not to mention the fact that we already stated it above, and clearly I might add—but for those who may have missed it or have not retained or remembered this point, please, PLEASE be sure to check compatibility with your tools BEFORE placing an order for this adapter. The little bit of time you spend now could definitely save you time and frustration later, and possibly money, to boot. DOUBLE-CHECK THE COMPATIBILITY!
- Premium or high capacity batteries are just not friends with this adapter so, as always, read the fine print. Again, it has a specific range of tools and batteries of which it is compatible with and this does not include the higher-capacity batteries, so keep that in mind when ordering. It’s sort of like when a new kid walks up to the rich snobs on the playground and asks “Hey, what’s up?” The immediate result will most likely be dumbfounded silence, followed a whole lot of frustration. A little foreknowledge goes a long way!
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.
The short and long of it is that this is a very straight-forward product with a clear function: it enables the use of both 18 and 20-volt batteries in certain older cordless DeWalt power tools. The only main questions left to get solid answers to are “How good is it? Is the cost fair?” and “How compatible is it with the various tools?”
In short, this is what I believe:
- It’s definitely darn good and worthy of the quality that DeWalt has built for most all of their line of tools. After looking up what others are saying, I found that customers who’ve purchased these have done so by the droves and left hundreds, if not thousands, of near-perfect ratings. That’s an excellent indicator from right out of the gate.
- The price point is excellent. Actually, the cost was a bit higher until more recently, and the price has actually dropped dramatically, much to my surprise. As of the writing of this article—September 1st, 2017—the adapter alone costs merely $35 online, which is not necessarily a permanent price but definitely palatable. That is an amazing value, considering how it has the power to bring our old tools back from an early grave.
- The compatibility isn’t “perfect,” but then again, it’s hard to actually see how it could be. The focus of this particular adapter is to work with a certain set or range of cordless tools—which happen to be the most popular ones–and that makes sense. With that in mind, I have no big beef about its compatibility and, given the new pricing structure, find that it is far more than a bargain.