Finding the best Dewalt battery adapter kit and dewalt battery adapter kit for 18v tools can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top dewalt 18v to 20v adapter problems in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
Dewalt battery adapter kit
DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter
DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter to Give 18V Tools a Lithium-Ion Option
DeWalt has announced the launch of the Dewalt 20V Max Battery Adapter. A lot of 18V cordless tool users will be happy with this, especially those who heavily invested in DeWalt’s 18V tool system. With this adapter, it will be easier for 18V users to experience higher capacity batteries with lithium-ion technology. Stepping up from nickel-cadmium (NiCd) and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, lithium-ion boasts plenty of advantages. Lithium-ion batteries have relatively low self-discharge, are lightweight, and have higher density energy making it the new standard battery for power tools these days.
“Consumers and pros that aren’t heavy users should be able to expect 5 or more years out of their cordless tools. As technology has left NiCd and NiMH behind, lithium-ion is the dominant standard in the industry. We wondered if there would ever be a solution to bring DeWalt’s stick style 18V batteries into the lithium-ion technology with the change to slide style packs on the 20V Max system. The DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter makes that happen.”
-Kenny Koehler, Pro Tool Reviews Managing EditorSUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
The DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter will allow most of DeWalt’s 18V cordless tools to function and operate with DeWalt’s 20V Max Lithium-Ion batteries. It’s going to add some height to the tool as well as a little bit of weight. However, moving to lithium-ion chemistry is worth the trade off. The new adapter is compatible with six 20V Max battery packs plus two Bluetooth enabled batteries, allowing users to choose the optimal battery for a the application at hand.
DEWALT 20V Max Battery Adapter Lithium-Ion Compatibility
- 2.0Ah XR
- 4.0Ah XR
- 5.0Ah XR
- 2.0Ah Bluetooth enabled
- 4.0Ah Bluetooth enabled
DeWalt 20V Max Battery Adapter Packages
- DCA1820 stand-alone: $39
- DCA2203C (2) 2.0 amp hour lithium-ion batteries, plus charger: $149
- Warranty: 3 year limited, 90 day money back guarantee, 1 year free service
- Availability: October 2015
Is Upgrading Your DeWalt Power Tool As Easy As Picking Up a Battery Adapter?
I used to use a strong–quite strong, actually–Black & Decker 24v hammer drill for most of my day-to-day work in the cabinet shop and, truth be told, it was stronger and longer-lasting than anything I needed or ever had before. If you read some of my posts here on WG, then you’ll sometimes see my nostalgia leak through.
That drill was a workhorse for me. It not only slaughtered the performance of my colleagues’ older DeWalts, it even one-upped the new 18V Makita that was brought in. They commented often about the size and weight of the thing, as well as how ridiculously overpowered it was for the tasks we generally needed drills for. However, there were indeed times when my drill was the savior and shocked the other guys, and not only that, but I am also a big guy so I didn’t mind the heavier-than-normal weight of it.
All in all, I was quite proud of this cordless beast and it was one of the coolest purchases I ever made for myself.
Love of our tools’ performance is a beautiful thing, and as I became more and more accustomed to my B&D drill, I was less and less interested in giving it up. Actually, I never thought I’d have to–until the dreaded day came when its Ni-Cd batteries played out.
Long-gone were the days of using my drill at the shop for a week at a time without needing a charge. Suddenly, after a brief time period where I had gone back to school and wasn’t using my drill regularly anymore, the batteries just sort of gave up the ghost and couldn’t be recovered. I did my best to locate some more, both online and locally, but after acquiring a couple of 24V replacements which basically had the same longevity problem, I was left holding my drill and wondering if I would ever be this happy again, because I truly believed that I wouldn’t.
I’m sure you know that often times we aren’t quite ready to let go of our aging tools just yet, but future generations of tools from the same manufacturer don’t always plan easy solutions for us, and as their tech changes, our old favorites can get left in the dust. This actually reminds me of the new game systems which roll out a new platform and don’t allow for the previous systems’ games to be played anymore.
Man….that kind of stuff is a HUGE bummer!
However, some companies–such as DeWalt, the focus of this article–have responded in a way that allows for us to continue using some of those cordless tools we have grown attached to as if they are an extension of ourselves. Essentially, it means that if you can’t directly swap-out for a larger battery and despite the scarcity of the original power pack, there is still some truly great news for you:
A DeWalt battery adapter is available!
I think that basically any tool junkie, long-time holder and user of DW cordless tools or just plain, old fanboy should be excited over the Dewalt 18v to 20v adapter. For those of us who have some aging tools or just want more power for our 18-volt cordless drills, it is a very useful if not necessary accessory for our DW cordless power tools.
The DCA1820 (model number) has the latest lithium ion battery technology the company has come up with and offers a wide range of compatibility for the DeWalt lineup. Their range of tools which require the 18v to 20v capacity work just splendidly with this affordable battery adapter, and the limitations are relegated strictly to the XRP battery charger models.
The other thing is that if you are one of those who likes a wide range of portable or battery-powered tools, then this could really be a big addition for you. The De Walt tools variety has up to approximately 40 different portable tools which are 18v.
You should be happy to know that this particular DeWalt battery adapter just like James Bond in his natural element, wooing multiple women and all while working hard to get the job done: it can hook up with all of them.
There is some useful information to know about the voltage range, as well.
Since the Dewalt adapter’s range is 18v to 20v, it allows the user to vary the battery voltage needed. Not only does this make the adapter useful with more tools, it also lets users adjust the optimum voltage required by each tool. As a result of this foresight by the company, it’s possible for even low voltage tools to be used with the maximum 20v batteries in order to achieve more powerful tools. This is the feature that can really make your old tools, quite literally, have new life.
Have you ever seen a film where it appears that the hero or his love has died at the end, but then suddenly, new life is breathed into them and they come back, seemingly better or stronger than before? Well, it may not be Superman, but that’s kind of what to expect when you slap a 20v battery on your old 18v tools with this battery adapter: happily ever after, except without the romance aspect (unless you are truly in love with your tool set as I mentioned that I was before).
Another key point here to remember is that if you are thinking about buying this adapter before forking over the dough for a new power tool, then I think it’s important that you know what to expect. Your Old Yeller 18-Volt may seem like it’s due for a replacement but you can rest assured that the performance you’ll get out of this adapter plus a brand-spanking-new DeWalt 20-Volt battery will both surprise and please you at the same time.
What is the Compatibility of the DeWalt DCA1820 Battery Adapter?
The DW Adapter comes with 6 battery options, which include:
- 3 Ah
- 1.5 Ah
- 2.0 Ah XR
- 3.0 Ah
- 4.0 Ah XR
- 5.0 Ah XR
You should note that the Bluetooth batteries 2.0 Ah and 4.0 Ah can also be used with Dewalt’s 18v tools, so this definitely offers a little extra compatibility for you, as well.
Of course, there is also another reason to smile about this, because the reality is that your tooth won’t be blue at all—and neither will you! Isn’t that great? (but not as great as my jokes, right?).
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.