Finding the best Dewalt flexvolt kit and dewalt flexvolt drill can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top dewalt combo kit in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
Dewalt flexvolt kit – Technology Review
Dewalt Flexvolt tools use a system that allows you to share batteries between tools, even though some of the more powerful tools go beyond the standard 20v max.
Some of Dewalt’s new cordless tools require 60 volts, and still, others require 120 volts.
The Flexvolt battery can be swapped between these various tools, regardless of which of the 3 different voltages each tool requires.
How The Flexvolt Technology Works
When used with a standard 20v max Dewalt power tool, the battery provides just that. The image here shows conceptually how the battery cells work to produce 20 volts of power.
When put into a 60-volt tool, the battery automatically changes so the cells are in series, and the voltages then add together. This creates 60 volts instead of 20. So just like that, you can use the same battery in the more powerful tools, like a circular saw.
In the most powerful Dewalt cordless tools, like their 12″ compound miter saw, you can insert 2 of the Flexvolt batteries, and they work in series, producing 120 volts of power.
Available Dewalt Flexvolt Tools
Dewalt will likely continue creating more power tools, as this technology is becoming very popular. Most of the tools they offer you can also get as a kit, which come with a carry-bag, charger, and an extra battery.
Or for example, you can get a drill kit with a bag, charger, impact driver, hammer drill, 1 20v max battery, and 1 Flexvolt battery.
Here’s a list of Dewalt Flexvolt tools you can get today:
- Leaf blower
- Jobsite Radio
- Heavy Duty Stud Drill
- Circular Saw
- Reciprocating Saw
- 12″ Compound Miter Saw
- 12″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Air compressor
- Table Saw
Some Additional Notes
You can get additional batteries, and they come in either 6.0 amp-hour or 9.0 amp-hour. The 9.0 just means it stores more power, and it will last longer. But the voltages it produces are the same with both sizes.
Plus each battery has a charge indicator so you can tell if the charge is good or not. Very handy when determining which batteries to put on chargers, and which batteries are ready for use.
Another cool feature is the compatibility of these batteries.
In addition to the tools that require the Flexvolt batteries, you can also use the Flexvolt batteries to power all of your existing 20v max tools. Plus, the charger for the 20v max batteries also works with the 60v Flexvolt batteries.
This means you don’t have to throw away your old chargers and 20v tools. Instead, as you get the new tools, the batteries they come with will work with your older 20v max models.
On the flip side, you cannot use your old 20v max batteries with the new Dewalt Flexvolt tools, so don’t get that confused.
Are The Flexvolt Tools Practical?
The fact is, you will pay extra for this line of tools. I love the idea of cordless, and many times the hand tools I use are battery powered, even though I’m working in a shop with plugins always within reach. For many tools, cordless is just quicker and easier.
Plus I’m a big Dewalt fan and I own several of their 20v max tools. The power is great. The batteries last a long time and run full power until dead. Dewalt has done a great job figuring this technology out.
However, going beyond drills and circular saws, many of these tools are specifically geared towards situations where power is not normally available. This would be places like construction sites, for tools like the table saw or miter saw.
Or perhaps you do a lot of outside work and prefer the simplicity of battery power over gas engines (think weed-eater and chainsaw). Only you can decide if that extra cost is worth the money.
But I’m here to personally vouch for this technology in certain instances. While I have no need for a battery powered miter saw in my wood shop, I do in fact own the Dewalt 60v weed eater. I’ve got 2 batteries, but all the weed eating I do in my yard uses less than 1 battery. So I just keep one on the charger and swap them when needed.
The tool has lasted me for years and I’ve had zero problems with it. It is slightly noticeable that the power is less than a gas engine weed eater. But for standard use, it performs very well.
What Others Are Saying
Reviews in some places are really good for the Dewalt Flexvolt tools. Dewalt’s done a great job at designing powerful and rugged tools that work as good and in some cases better than their 120v corded counterparts.
Many users are actually surprised at the power and ruggedness of a battery tool.
Plus how long these batteries are actually lasting in real day-to-day jobs really impresses most users.
However, some places you’ll find mixed reviews, like on this electricians forum. I think some people generally dislike Dewalt and probably wouldn’t give a good review even if they liked the tools.
But overall, many reviews are really good, and you can’t deny that the technology is leading the industry in innovation. If you have a need for cordless tools, I would suggest looking into the Dewalt Flexvolt tools for your next purchase.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.