Downlights are one of the most common lighting fixtures you will see in any modern home. They’re extremely popular because they provide warm general lighting that’s unobtrusive compared to a traditional light fixture. However, there are lots of considerations when shopping for the perfect one. Should you choose LED or halogen bulbs? What’s the ideal wattage and spacing?
Below we’ve compiled an easy guide to help answer your questions. Whether you’re thinking about installing LED downlights or already have them, here’s how to pick the right one for you.
Led Downlights vs Halogen – Wattage
For wattage, you want your downlights to be energy saving yet still produce a high beam. For this reason, we encourage you to use LED downlights. The average 10W LED downlight can produce a beam twice as bright as halogen that use up to 55W. The best option in terms of energy saving can range from as low as 4.5 watts to 14 watts in LED.
As a general guide, when choosing LED downlights for a room that tends to get hot e.g. a kitchen or laundry, cool white is ideal. However, if you want warmth and intimacy in your space e.g. a living room or bedroom, warmer downlights are a better option than their cool white counterpart.
When purchasing LED downlights people underestimate how they can change their space to create such mood and ambience. Cheaper lights can do the job, however with the amount of glare that is produced it can strain your eyes and even flood the room with light, creating in result, no mood.
We highly recommend our customers choose a low glare downlight with the light source recessed in the fitting. This will produce an anti-glare light output. Some downlights have the light source so far back into the fitting that it can be hard to see the light, even when standing right underneath of it. This design will output an impressive pool of light around the area. Having small pools of light will create a greater mood than having an area flooded with light.
#1. Best Downlights for Bedroom – Dimmable Light
When it comes to the bedroom led recessed lights, there is no strict limitation on the light colors. What you should consider in the first place is dimmable mode. This light is loaded with an interior dimmer switch, allowing you to adjust the light with infinite dimming from 20% to 100 %. If you would like to go through a couple of pages before sleeping, I recommend you to buy the 3000K light bulbs.
Why Buy the Hyperikon LED Recessed Downlights?
- 5-year warranty
- CRI rating is over 94
- 5/6 inches 14W LED light
- 69 lumens per watt and a total of luminous flux up to 970 lumens
- Beam angle is 120 degrees, making it an ideal general ambient light
- Alternative on the light colors ranging from the warm light of 2700K and 3000K to the cool light of 4000K and 5000K.
#2. Best Downlights for Living Room – Recessed LED Strip Light
Are you weary out for the normal and single ceiling light? Considering convenient colorful lighting options for parties and relaxing modes, I make it popping off in the downlight shortlist. The led light strips are able to present 16 million of light colors, thanks to the built-in 5050 RGB color model. Plus, the light will be changeable in accordance with the music beat when you start the party time. Awesome general ambient light, right?
It has the ability to stand the trial of the water-resistant and the protection rating reaches IP65, making it compatible with outdoor usage.
Why Buy the LED Recessed Strip Light Kits?
- Beam angle: 120 degrees
- 0.2W per LED and 300 LED beads add up to 60W
- Easy-to-cut strip together with extra powerful adhesion makes it have a strong adaptability
- The total length of the led strip lights reaches 32.8 feet and the extra red tape measures in 9.8 feet
- Remote control with 44 keys, including brightness adjustment, on/c4off controller, color changing selection and color modes management.
#3. Best LED Can Lights for Kitchen – Top Rated 4 Inch Steel Can
Are there lack of cans for your house retrofit? Here is a best option. Both 4-inch cans and 6-inch cans are available from this Sunco unit. Before the deal, I have to say Sunco is a reliable brand for manufacturing recessed lights and the associated equipment. The trims fit very well to the housing and the finish is modern and fantastic. The matched led downlights for this can should be 4000K for kitchen use.
Why Buy the Sunco IC Rated Can Lights?
- 5-year warranty
- The cans are made of solid steel material
- It is designed to completely insulation, preventing the overheat and the fire
- Sunco light bulb has the seamless dimmable capacity from 10% to 100% that fit for any circumstances
- Sunco light bulb has a wide beam angle of 90 degrees and possesses a luminous flux of 840 lumens
#4. Best LED Downlights for Artists – Smart Colored Lights
Smart light makes you have a wireless control whether you are at home or not, indicating that you can manage the smart lights remotely. It is good to schedule your home lighting before your arriving home or when you forget to turn off your downlights after leaving homes. Besides, app or voice control contribute to lighting up several rows of the recessed ceiling lights in groups.
The only minor quibble is that this smart light doesn’t hook up with a dimmer switch. The way to get ample brightness levels is just through the App.
Why Buy this LED Wi-Fi Downlight?
- WIFI connection
- It requires no bridge
- CRI value is more than 90
- Able to be controlled via Smartphone App
- The time and schedule settings help you save energy
- RGB color model allows you to customize your own lighting plan for different scenes
- Compatible with Smart Home Automation like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT so as to get a simple and convenient control
#5. Best LED Downlights for Bathroom – 5/6-inch Waterproof Lights
The first consideration for the bathroom use is the water-resistance and this one does the trick. On buying the first recessed light for your home, the waterproof light bulb can be a good starter. Remember to buy a recessed can when you do downlights retrofit.
Why Buy this Sunco LED Downlight?
- 7-year warranty
- Affordable price
- Good mounting spring quality
- Eco-friendly and user-friendly
- Continuous smoothly dimming design is a bonus
- 4000K cool white light helps you clear up things at hand fairly
Outdoor LED Downlights
For exterior use, it is bound to equipping with waterproof technology and bright light. How to judge a downlight is designed to use outdoors?
- The weather-resistant rating should be over IP65.
- The beam angle should be more than 60 degrees.
Complying with the above tips, we have selected 2 best led downlights.
#6. IP65 LED Downlights – for Outdoor Patio
Why Buy the Obsess 3-inch Downlight?
- Robust construction
- Dimmable lights from 5% to 100%
- Airtight design ensures the security issues
- IP65 makes the light safer using outdoors and bathrooms
- You can choose either 3000K warm white light or 4000K neutral white light
- IC rated will cut off the electricity when the temperature reaches over 150 Celsius degree
#7. Bright LED Downlights – with 5000K Natural Daylight
Why Buy the Parmida 5/6-inch Dimmable LED Downlights?
- High quality
- 1000 lumens and 12 Watt
- CRI rating is more than 90
- 5000K daylight gives clear sight
- Dimmer capacity from 0 to 100%
- Beam angle reaches to 120 degrees, able to illuminate a broad area