Have you been searching all over the internet for electric toothbrush side effects, oral b electric toothbrush side effects, painful side effects of electric toothbrush, side effects of electric toothbrush or side effects of using electric toothbrush? Search no further, we bring you all you need to know on the side effects of electric toothbrush.
Electric Toothbrush Side Effects
The Benefits of Electric Toothbrush vs. Manual
The world of electric toothbrushes can sound complicated. But if you’re looking for the best-and easiest-way to take care of your teeth, it’s worth researching. Why? Because-unlike a manual brush-an electric brush does the work for you.
Simply stated, rechargeable electric toothbrushes (or “power” toothbrushes) provide superior plaque removal to regular manual toothbrushes. And because they provide the brushing action for you, many people find using power toothbrushes easier than using regular manual ones. Additionally, with so many different types and features available, it’s easy to find one that suits your specific oral health needs.
Superior Plaque Removal
According to a 2005 independent study, “Brushes that worked with a rotation oscillation action removed more plaque and reduced gingivitis more effectively than manual brushes in the short and long term… No other powered brush designs were consistently superior…” * Oral-B pioneered this oscillating, pulsating and cupping power technology in 1991 and has incorporated it into its premium power toothbrush range ever since.
Ease of Use
Whereas you have to move a regular manual toothbrush back and forth along your teeth, electric toothbrushes provide the cleaning action for you. That means you need only guide it along the surfaces of your teeth. Once they get the hang of it, many people find this method of brushing easier. Likewise, people with arthritis or other similar conditions may find using an electric toothbrush less painful. Electric toothbrushes may also help kids brush their teeth more effectively, but be sure to check the age recommendations on an electric toothbrush before letting your child use it.
Technology and Features
Generally rich in technology and features, some electric toothbrushes can even enable you to improve your brushing habits. And most come with convenient features like a brush head or toothbrush holder, bathroom counter storage units and travel toothbrush chargers. Hi-tech features may include:
- Numerous brushing modes specialized for sensitive teeth, whitening benefits or gum-massaging action
- Pressure sensors to signal when you’re brushing too hard
- Timers to help you keep track of how long you’re brushing each quadrant of your mouth
- Digital reminders to replace your brush head
- Oscillating/pulsating and cupping, oscillating/rotating or sonic technology
- Multiple brush head compatibility so you can choose which kind of bristle design you prefer
Oral-B electric toothbrushes are dentist-inspired and clinically proven to deliver a superior clean compared to a regular manual toothbrush. Their secret: the oscillating/rotating/pulsating power Oral-B is known for today. As we continue to innovate and introduce new technologies, we always keep one goal in mind: Make it easy for you to get your best clean every time you brush.
More Cleaning Power
Oral-B® Electric Toothbrushes deliver up to 48,800 movements per minute, while a regular manual toothbrush can only deliver 300 to 600 movements per minute. The Oral-B Pro 1000 removes 100% more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes use clinically proven superior oscillating/rotating/pulsating technology. The round brush head pulsates to loosen plaque and then oscillates and rotates to sweep the plaque away.
Dentist-Inspired Brush Head
Oral-B® Electric Toothbrushes make getting rid of plaque easier. The dentist-inspired, small, round brush head surrounds each tooth for an individualized clean, removing more plaque in hard-to-reach areas.
Most people underestimate the amount of time they should brush. With a manual toothbrush, it’s easy to lose track of time. Dental professionals recommend brushing for two minutes, twice a day. That means each quadrant of your mouth gets 30 seconds of brush time. Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes include two-minute timers that take you through this routine, ensuring you get a complete clean every time you brush.
Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes offer a varying number of modes, so you can choose your preferred way to get a thorough clean.
- Daily Clean: Provides a superior clean vs. a regular manual toothbrush
- Deep Clean: Extends brushing time to enhance results
- Sensitive: Operates at a lower speed for a gentle clean
- Massage: Designed to gently massage and stimulate gums
- Whitening: Alternates speed to polish away stains
- Tongue Cleaning: Thoroughly cleans tongue for fresher breath
Visual Pressure Sensor
To promote healthy gums, Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes are designed with a built-in visual pressure sensor featuring audio and visual signals to alert you if too much force is applied while brushing.Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes take away the guesswork to ensure you get a thorough clean every day. Ready to make the switch? Find the right Oral-B® Electric Toothbrush for you.
The Pro 5000, Black 7000, and White 7000 models provide real-time feedback on your brushing habits by connecting with the Oral-B App on your smartphone, helping you improve your overall oral health.
All toothbrushes need to be replaced every three to four months according to the ADA. Replace your toothbrush sooner if it looks frayed or if you used it when you were sick. With a manual toothbrush, the whole thing needs to be replaced. With an electric toothbrush, you may only need to replace the removable head.
- Replace your toothbrush or toothbrush head every three to four months.
The most important parts of brushing your teeth are using proper technique, and doing it twice per day, every day. The best way to brush your teeth is to:
- Pick a toothbrush that’s the right size for your mouth.
- Avoid hard bristles that can irritate your gums. The ADA recommends soft-bristle brushes. Also, look for brushes with multi-level or angled bristles. One studyTrusted Source found this type of bristle to be more effects than flat, one-level bristles.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste.
- Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle to your teeth and gums.
- Gently brush all tooth surfaces (front, back, chewing) for two minutes.
- Rinse your toothbrush and store it upright to air dry — and keep it out of range of the toilet which can spray germs when flushing.
- Floss once per day, either after or brushing.
- Mouth rinses are optional and shouldn’t replace flossing or brushing.
If you experience any bleeding, talk with your dentist. A number of things can cause bleeding when you brush and floss, such as:
Sometimes people have bleeding gums when they’ve gone too long between brushing and flossing, and the plaque really starts to build up. So long as you are gentle, brushing and flossing should not actually cause bleeding.
- Brush twice a day for at least two minutes each time and floss daily.
Both electric and manual toothbrushes are effective at cleaning teeth if you use proper technique and brush long enough. Overall, an electric toothbrush may make brushing easier, resulting in better plaque removal. Talk with your dentist if you have questions about which toothbrush might be best for you.
Electric brushes operates with the help of batteries. Its bristles move automatically in two directions – oscillating motion and rotational oscillation motion. They rotate at a much faster rate than a normal human hand would do. Thus resulting in cleaner and whiter teeth.
Advantages of electric brushes
- Electric brushes are specially useful for elderly people and those that suffer from any sort of disability or limited mobility. It is also greatly useful for diabetic patients. Using this brush would help them in brushing their teeth properly without much effort thereby resulting in oral hygiene.
- These brushes are recommended by many dentists. Repeated studies on the same has showed that electric brushes has greater effect than manual brushes. They provide 80% more benefit than any other ordinary brush. It is said that the rotating motion of the electric brush works in the same way as the tool that is used by the dentists in cleansing the teeth. This Is one reason why most of the clients have opted to use electric brush than a manual brush.
- Electric tooth brush rotates almost 3000-4000 times a minute thereby providing cleaner and whiter teeth. These brushes have proven to remove stains, plaques and prevent gum related issues effectively. It is built with a timer that has a default setting of 2 minutes which is the idea time for maintaining a healthy and clean mouth. The bristles of the brush is so swift in its moments that it reaches every corner of the mouth as well as the smallest crack in the teeth.
- Electric toothbrushes promote cleaner and whiter teeth with the fast movement of the bristles. They work more effectively to remove plaque, stains and prevent gum disease. Each bristle head of the electric tooth brush is designed to clean every part of your mouth. It has the ability to reach the molars and wisdom teeth that are almost impossible for a manual toothbrush to reach and the tiniest cracks between the teeth. Electric toothbrushes have a built-in, two minute timer which is the recommended time needed to maintain a clean and healthy mouth.
- Electric toothbrushes are found to cause less damage to the gums. The vibrating motions of an electric toothbrush cleanse the surface of the tooth’s enamel really well and are also beneficial for the health of the gums. The vibrations provide a gentle massage to stimulate healthy blood circulation in the gums
- Electric toothbrushes are preferred by most dentists as they find a better oral hygiene of persons using electric brushes. The rotating and vibrating motions of electric toothbrush resemble the same ones professional dentists use to cleaning the teeth professionally.
Electronic toothbrushes are a great help to those with disabilities and limited mobility like in arthritis. The movement is simple and less challenging with the electric brush as compared to manual cleaning.
Disadvantages of electric brush
- It is too expensive. It costs of a minimum of $15 to get a basic electric brush. If you want to go for some advanced features then it may cost as much as $100 as well. In addition to it, as the electric brush works on batteries one must even invest in purchasing the batteries which would cost another $5 to $10. Plus you need to replace these electric brushes every 3 months which adds on to the existing charges by $20. For an ordinary person who finds it difficult to survive these extra dollars in a brush is a real big deal.
- People with sensitivity issue can’t really opt for electric brushes as the bristles of these brushes are not ultra soft. Secondly those suffering from sensitive tooth problem cannot possibly go for a brush that would move at a speed of 3000-4000 rotations per minute. Thus manual brush is the perfect choice for them.
- As most of the electric brushes are heavy in weight and quite big in size in comparison to normal brushes it becomes quite difficult for one to use these brushes while traveling.
- Electric toothbrushes are expensive and so many fail to afford them. Besides the cost of replacing the batteries and electricity used to charge them has also to be taken into consideration. The brush heads which are quite expensive also have to be changed every three months.
- Electric toothbrushes are not good for people with sensitive teeth. The electric toothbrush is not found in ultra-soft bristles. The vibrations and speed of an electric toothbrush can aggravate the sensitivity of the delicate nerves.
- Electronic toothbrushes are less suitable for traveling because of their bulky size and weight, and their need for battery replacement and charging. Although there are some electric toothbrushes specifically designed for travel, but still they cannot be folded to a small size like some of the manual travel toothbrushes.
- Some studies have shown that a manual toothbrush is more effective than an electric tooth brush in removing all the plaque in your mouth.
Its based on your requirement and preference that you can decide whether or not to go for an electric brush. Its advisable that make talk to people who are already using it and find out if it is a good use for them. this way you would have a live review about the product in question. Apart from that also take your dentist’s recommendation before you decide to purchase it.
Tips on choosing an electric toothbrush
Choosing an electric toothbrush comes down to preference and effectiveness in the user’s hands. Remember a few tips before choosing
- Are the brush heads easily available in the nearby market and what would be its cost?
- What is the warranty period and what all does it cover?
- Does the size of the brush fit comfortably in the mouth?
- How comfortable is the feel of the handle in the hands?
- Does the vibration and speed irritate the hand or mouth?
Both manual and electric toothbrush is used to reach the goal to maintain oral hygiene so choose the one that works best for the user.
The bottom line
The decision, whether to buy an electric toothbrush or not, is really based on the user’s preference, oral hygiene habits, and most importantly, choosing one with which the user is comfortable. Electric toothbrushes are known to produce better results that do not mean that the manual tooth brush is obsolete. The same results can be obtained with a manual toothbrush with extra effort and discipline.It is advisable that regular visit to the dentist is necessary to keep the teeth healthy in the long run.
Advantage over manual brush
We all have been using manual brush where you have to apply the paste and brush teeth by holding it in your hand and moving the Bristles all across your mouth. But, now you don’t have to take so much of trouble. The electric brush will easily make the task easy.
One of the wonderful features of electric brush is the fact that it has got the rotating head which can go ahead with the cleaning of your teeth without using your hand and moving your bristles upside and downside. The rotating head of the tooth brush will give equal pressure all parts of your teeth so that everywhere same type of cleanliness is achieved.
With the help of electric tooth brush you can easily get more thorough brushing. This is not possible if you are using the manual brush. It gives emphasize to each quadrant equally with adequate time so that longer and better brushing is done. You will absolutely feel clean with this particular brushing sequence.
Disadvantage of electric brush
The electric tooth brushes are prone to any type of breakage. If accidentally you drop it over the floor, the brush can break easily. They are really sensitive and should be cared a lot while handling it or when you are keeping it in the brush box.