Electricity is one of the greatest gifts science has given us so far. It has provided us the power to create innovative products and tools that we can utilize on a daily basis to make our lives a whole lot easier. Almost everything we use these days is portable; devices that are charged and ready to use for hours on end – from electronic books to cars, stoves and lights for gate entrance, just to name a few.
You can also save yourself from the hassle of switching your gate entrance lights on and off because now you can use solar powered lights for this purpose. More importantly, you can get a few bucks off your electric bill all-year-round with this more sustainable gate entrance solar illumination option.
Moreover, they do not require complicated instruction manuals, as these devices are relatively easy to install and use. This article will explain all things about solar lights for gate entrance, so you can make a more informed decision, should you choose to get one of these.
How Solar Outdoor Lights for Gate Entrance Work?
Solar power is the energy coming from the rays of the sun and is one of the most useful natural resources. Although solar energy has been utilized even in ancient times, the discovery of solar power cells was made by French physicist Edmond Becquerel in 1839. How did he manage to do it?
He assembled cells made from metal electrodes and found out that when exposed to the light of the sun, it caused a photovoltaic effect (conversion of light into energy) producing electricity; and thanks to him, we now have solar lights.
Its mechanism consists of an LED light, a rechargeable battery, and a photoresistor/photoreceptor. Even though invented a long time ago, this old technology is just starting to be fully utilized for sustainability and environmental care.
Solar-powered lights are pretty cool. The sun charges up the battery during the day and, as the solar cells stop producing energy by night time, the photoresistor or receptor starts working, once it detects the absence of the sun and its light – activating the battery that, in turn, switches the LED light on.
Obviously, it is best to set this up outdoors, where it can get the most out of the sunlight, especially gate entrances. Solar light for gate entrance is a great way to light up houses, due to its many benefits. It is cost-effective; you don’t have to break the bank to pay for electric bills because it doesn’t use electricity at all.
It can be easily installed – no need to worry about tripping over tangled cords lying on the ground, since it doesn’t need to be plugged into a power source. Safety will never be an issue, as electric shock can never occur, even if it is placed near pools or ponds. With all that being said, solar lights for gate entrance are the best choice for anyone who’s looking to save money and stay safe.
Here are some of the best gate solar lights we can find on the market, to help you choose and decide on which ones to buy.
5. Deneve Deluxe Solar Flagpole Light
This type of light is specifically made for flag poles that sit atop of it and can be used for poles with 15-25 feet in length; it has lumens of 1300, so you can put them on your gate entrance.
- It is easily exposed to sunlight since it’s installed high up
- Ideal for most people in the U.S. who have American flags on a pole
- Long-lasting and one of the brightest of its kind
- Not everyone has flag poles installed in their homes
- Can be easily obstructed by taller objects like trees or buildings
4. InnoGear 24 LED Outdoor Solar Lights
There are two types of Innogear lights, one is solar gutter lights with its specific purpose is motion detection and security. Its 24 super-bright lights automatically switch on when it detects movement within a 3-6 meters range, with lumens of up to 150, and is, therefore, one of the best gate solar lights out there.
- They are waterproof or water resistant
- Automatically switch on or off
- Motion detect range: 3-6 meters
- Depending on the customer’s preference, it would be a con if they prefer glass component since the solar panel is made of hard plastic
- According to some reviews online, it is a bit difficult to change settings from one mode to another
3. Solar Umbrella Lights
Designed like lanterns, Sunklly’s solar umbrella lights are perfect to be hang in gate entrances, in order to provide a sophisticated and illuminated look. They can be also be used as path lighting sources. Made with waterproof and heatproof materials, they ensure longevity and quality.
- Made with IP44 water-proof and heat-proof materials
- Easy installation and a guaranteed 12-month replacement
- Not an option if you’re looking for brighter illumination
2. Litom Solar Outdoor Lights
These LED lights are made both for security and illuminating purposes. They have motion sensors that switch on in as fast as 20 seconds from the moment they detect movement.
- Fast-acting motion sensors
- Has a lifetime warranty
- Lasts up to 40 hours on low light settings and 10 hours on bright
- More expensive compared to the other options listed
- The screws included are not as long, which means the surfaces to which it can be installed is limited
1. UrPower Solar Lights
They have a 2-in-1 function as they can be installed either on the ground or mounted on the wall. They also have adjustable solar panels with up to 200 lumens and are one of the trusted solar powered gate lights you can use.
- Can withstand extreme weather conditions
- Have a 2200 mAh lithium battery; can last up to 9 hours if fully charged
- Some users have reported that the wall mounting screws don’t all fit
- The light cannot be aimed at a different direction from the solar panel