Having a high-quality and well-equipped tool kit around the home is essential. No matter how well made or well designed you think your home is, there is always going to be something that needs fixed, adjusted or amended. Having a tool kit that features all of the essential tools, as well as some little extras, can allow you to get to work on various projects around the home.
Most people want a tool set on hand just to be prepared for anything that may go array. There are so many different tool kits available, varying in quality, purpose, and size. Although this choice ensures that there is something out there for everyone, it can make finding the best tool kit for your home tricky.
We have researched the best brands, customer reviews, and essentials needed to find Good tool set options and the top ten tool kits to suit any home.
Good tool set
10. Kobalt Household
The Kobalt Household (about $64) includes a convenient plastic box for storing fasteners and small hardware. Each tool has a comfortable handle that minimizes vibrations and hand fatigue, making them ideal for those stubborn projects that take longer than expected.
- Padded shoulder strap
- Sturdy structured bag
- Pricey for only 22 pieces
9. Vastar Home Repair 102-Piece
The versatile Vastar Home Repair 102-Piece (around $40) is a great option for routine household maintenance. It contains a host of well-constructed components, including a snap blade razor, two Allen wrench sets, and a variety of different screwdrivers.
- All tools feel very durable
- Thick ergonomic handles
- Pieces fall out of place easily
8. Craftsman Evolv 41283
The Craftsman Evolv 41283 (appx. $69) should satisfy most home users, as it incorporates a large variety of all-purpose tools to tackle everyday jobs, from hanging pictures to repairing pipes. The ratchet, hammer, driver, and pliers all have an easy-to-grip handle.
- Bag has multiple pockets
- Front mesh pouch for quick access
- Tools are rather small
7. Stalwart 75-HT1086
Suitable for the office, kitchen, RV or car, the ultra-portable Stalwart 75-HT1086 (around $30) has you covered for myriad minor maintenance tasks. All 86 pieces fit nicely in the soft roll-up case, which provides enough room to add a couple of extra hand tools, if needed.
- Includes a 10-foot measuring tape
- Compact size takes up little space
- Scissors aren’t very sharp
6. GreatNeck Essentials 21044
The budget-friendly GreatNeck Essentials 21044 (appx. $33) is a useful resource to have around the house for all those DIY projects. It includes 32 items in a compact zippered bag, which features handles and a shoulder strap that make it easy to take with you anywhere.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Great for first-time homeowners
- Comes with a fastener set
5. Apollo Tools DT9706
If you’re looking for a decent set without spending a fortune, the Apollo Tools DT9706 (about $18) should fit the bill. It prepares you to tackle around-the-house assembly or repair projects, and comes in a nice compact case for storage.
- Long-nose pliers for tight spaces
- Secure grips on handles
- Available in various colors
4. Cartman Orange 39-Piece
The Cartman Orange 39-Piece (appx. $17) is a well-rounded starter set for general light use. All tools meet or exceed ANSI critical standards and are securely housed in a handy blow-molded case that opens flat for easy access. It’s available with red or orange accents.
- Tools heat-treated for durability
- Case has elevated feet for stability
- Budget-friendly choice
3. Workpro Maintenance
The collection of devices within the Workpro Maintenance (around $59) will have you ready to put together furniture, fix your bike or even perform simple computer repairs in a pinch. Several of the carbon steel components are polished with a corrosion-resistant finish.
- Bag made of heavy-duty canvas
- Comes with 40 cable ties
- Metric and sae hex keys
2. Black + Decker LDX120PK
The Black + Decker LDX120PK (appx. $79) provides a useful collection of gear, whether you’re a new homeowner or a handy hobbyist. Unlike many sets, this one contains an easy-to-use, battery-powered drill to go with the usual hammer, pliers and tape measure.
- Spade bits for boring holes
- Includes a powerful battery
- Great value for the price
1. Stanley 94-248
You’ll feel like a professional carpenter with the Stanley 94-248 (about $57), which includes a torpedo level, slip joint pliers, long-nose pliers, a 13-ounce hammer and two screwdrivers. The 16-foot tape measure has a convenient belt clip, too.
- Stainless steel box cutter
- Case snaps shut securely
- Sockets generate impressive torque
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.