Are you a style diva, who keeps abreast of most style trends doing the rounds in the fashion world? And of course, that includes your hair! It has to be on point always. If you have poker straight hair, what’s not to love about it, right? But what if you don’t have straight hair but really want it? That’s where hair straightening comes in, making your hair look straight silky and shiny. So what are the best Hair Straightening Ingredients? The best hair straightening treatments at home? read on to learn how to straighten hair naturally permanently.
A touch of iron and your hair which was in a frizzy mess transforms into lustrous locks! But hair straightening can do permanent damage to your hair. It might look beautiful and gorgeous at the onset but gradually might start falling, turning dry and coarse. All in all, definitely a nightmare. So what then, are the side-effects of hair- straightening?
how to straighten hair naturally permanently
The Side-effects of Hair Straightening
Any kind of chemical-ridden external treatment can lead to extensive hair damage, and hair straightening is no exception. As you step out, the sun’s UV rays damage your hair more. The chemicals in your hair react adversely when exposed to the harsh rays of the sun. The other side-effects of hair straightening are as follows,
- Excessive dryness- One of the most common side effects of hair straightening is excessive dryness. The hair straightening treatment causes the natural oils of the hair to be depleted. Your hair loses its natural sheen after a few days. The luster soon disappears and you are left with dull, drab hair in need of deep conditioning.
- Allergic reactions- Women who undergo hair straightening sometimes suffer from allergic reactions like scalp itching, redness of eyes, rashes and so on. Sometimes the effects are visible right after the straightening is done, sometimes a good few days later. When the reactions persist for more than a day, then you should make it a point to visit your doctor to set things right.
- Hair fall- You might suffer from severe hair fall after undergoing the straightening treatment. The high heat applied during the procedure along with the chemicals play havoc with the texture of the hair, making it brittle and prone to breakage. Your crowning glory seems to be at the receiving end and it is a classic case of hair today and gone tomorrow.
- Getting bored of the same old hairstyle- Another side effect of straightening would be getting bored of the same old hairstyle. Women are seldom contented about their looks, especially their hair, and though they sport a brand new look, they start to miss their old wavy hairstyle. This happens more frequently in case of permanent straightening. Once you straighten your hair permanently, it is very difficult to change the hairstyle again. In the case of temporary straightening too, wearing a different style can be impossible. So to most of us, the grass is probably greener on the other side.
- It is expensive- It is easy flaunting straight hair which looks sleek and oh-so-trendy, but what is difficult that it causes a deep dent in your pocket. Yes, it does not come cheap and the plusher the salon, the deeper should be your pockets. But at what cost? Are you sure you know about the ingredients or chemicals in the products that are used on your hair? The chemicals used in relaxing treatments are very potent and must be applied near the scalp to have the desired effect. But if it is not done correctly, you can get chemical burns on your scalp, which results in infection, scarring, and permanent hair loss. So you are coughing up money to cause irreparable damage to your hair.
Hair Straightening Ingredients
Your crowning glory deserves your tender loving care. You might be unaware of the fact that many hair chemical hair straightening products contain a chemical called formaldehyde (also known as formalin). This substance has been known to cause various health problems. The chemical can cause rashes,particularly when it comes in touch with your scalp or when it touches your neck or skin.
The chemical’s fumes can blend in the air, and breathing in that kind of polluted air can cause irritation in your nose, throat, and lungs. The symptoms are pretty nerve-wracking and can include breathing difficulties, heaviness in the chest, sore throat, headache, fatigue, and burning eyes,as well as irritation in the nose and throat.
But then should you give up nursing a dream about flaunting straight, shining, sleek hair? Not really! You will be surprised to know that there are readily available ingredients in your kitchen, which can give you that gorgeous mane you always dreamed of. In fact, they can be called some of the best hair straighteners ever. Check out how you can give your hair a makeover by just using simple stuff from the kitchen shelf.
1. Coconut Milk
Coconut is indeed nature’s bounty and has myriad benefits. The coconut milk you extract from coconuts also helps straighten hair. It moisturizes your hair and gives it a mirror-like shine. Additionally, it has all the benefits of being antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral to maintain the health of your scalp
Method : In a glass jar, blend one cup of fresh coconut milk and the juice of one lemon. Keep the glass jar in the refrigerator for a few hours, until a creamy layer develops on the top. Give your head a thorough massage with this cream and let it sit for 20 minutes. Follow the turban therapy by wrapping a hot towel or shower cap or a swimming cap. Let it stay there for 30 mins, then shampoo, followed by conditioning. Comb your hair when it is still wet and allow it to air dry.
Milk is a terrific moisturizer and can help to straighten hair easily. Also, the protein content in the milk smoothens the hair shafts, helping your hair appear frizz-free. Milk is, in fact, one of the best natural hair straightening solutions.
Method: Mix together one-half cup each of milk and water. Once it is mixed thoroughly, store the mixture in a spray bottle. Detangle your hair by combing it, spray the mixture over your hair and comb it again. Let it stay for a good 30 minutes so that your hair absorbs the milk. Wash your hair and follow it up by liberally applying conditioner.
3. Milk & Honey
Apart from milk, honey is also a great moisturizer since it helps get rid of the frizz in your hair easily. The natural moisturizers seep into your hair shaft, softening it considerably.
Method: Milk and honey also work great as natural straighteners. Take a cup of milk and add 2 tablespoons of honey to it. You can also add some freshly mashed strawberries to this mix. Apply it on to your hair. Keep the mixture for at least for 2 hours. Rinse thoroughly with a mild shampoo; follow it up with the conditioning procedure.
4. Soybean Oil
Applying soybean oil on your scalp can enhance the straight look of your hair, and is also said to be one of the best natural methods for permanent hair straightening.
Method: Take 1 tablespoon of soybean oil and 2 tablespoons of castor oil, then combine them well. Heat the mixture up and apply to the scalp, which can act as a binder for the hair from root to tip. It works wonderfully when rinsed off using a mild shampoo.
Bananas have great hair softening properties. They can be a great treatment for dry and frizzy hair too. Not only will theyact as a natural hair straightening process, but also help provide deep nourishment to treated hair.
Method: Take 2 overripe bananas, mash them up thoroughly with the help of a fork and combine 2 tablespoons each of honey, yogurt and olive oil with the mashed bananas. Blend it to make a fine paste. Apply this hair mask evenly on your hair and to avoid it from getting messy, wrap your hair with a shower cap. Keep it for ½ an hour. All the ingredients are great food for your weak and undernourished hair, and will make your hair healthy, shiny, and also straight.
6. Eggs and Olive Oil Mask
Eggs not only give a beautiful volume and shine to hair but are alsoa great ingredient to straighten hair. Combining eggs and olives in a mask together can even help get rid of split ends. Try it to get results.
Method: Take 2 Eggs and add 4 tsp. of Olive Oil to it. Mix it well. Apply it evenly on your hair. Let it sit for 45 mins. Then wash off with a mild shampoo follow it up with a great conditioner.
7. MultaniMitti Pack
MultaniMitti, also known as Fuller’s earth,not only imparts a glow to your skin, but also helps in straightening your hair.
Method: Combine one egg white and two tablespoons of rice flour to a cup full of MultaniMitti. Add the required amount of water to the paste to get a consistency that will stay on your hair, not too runny, just right. Apply it and leave it for half an hour. After 30 minutes, comb your hair gently. Now reapply this paste then run a comb through your hair. You have to repeat this process a couple of times. Finally, wash it off. This is one of the most effective packs to tame your overly frizzy hair.
8. Hot Oil Treatment
Every grandmother passes on her beauty secret to her granddaughters, which is, of course, oiling hair religiously. But girls hardly pay heed to this invaluable piece of advice, and pay the price when their hair gets damaged in the long run. So, you should definitely oil your hair and make it a part of your hair care regime.
Method: Instead of using only one kind of oil, you can use a combination of two or three of them for beautiful, straight hair. Blend coconut oil, olive oil, and almond oil together, and massage into your scalp gently. Wrap a hot towel once you are done with the massaging. Once you wash it off, your hair will be sleek shiny and oh-so-beautiful!
9. Coconut milk and lemon juice method
We have already tried a straightening method with coconut milk. You can try another method by adding lemon juice to it. When hair tongs and chemicals had not invaded the beauty regime of women a few years back, this method helped not only to straighten the hair but also give it an enviable shine.
Method: Take a cup of coconut milk. Add 2 tbsp. lemon juice to it. Keep the mixture in a refrigerator for about 30 min. It will coagulateinto a runny paste like consistency. Once done, blend it well and apply on your hair from root to scalp. Take a hot towel and wrap it around your hair. Leave the towel for a good 5 mins. Then wash it off with the help of a mild shampoo. Continue to do this for about 4 weeks, three times a week to get desired results.
10. Using Aloe vera
Aloe vera contains several essential properties that promote healthy hair growth and impact the texture of your hair, making it smooth and soft. Also, aloe vera gel easily permeates into the hair strands and maintains the moisture level of the scalp. Due to this moisturizing property, it can straighten your hair naturally.
Method: Blend one-half cup each of aloe vera gel and warm olive oil. Also, you can mix in six drops each of rosemary oil and sandalwood oil. Massage the mixture into your hair and scalp, allowing it to penetrate through your hair strands. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for about one to two hours. Wash off the pack with a mild shampoo, following it up with a conditioner.
Your hair goes through a lot, be it environmental pollution or the unending treatments you subject it to make it look beautiful and trendy. You do not bother to find out about those simple remedies which can give you a great looking mane without depending on harsh chemicals, which ultimately ruin your hair.
Hair straightening damages your hair, so look for solutions which will keep your strands in perfect order. The next time you admire a woman with sleek straight hair, remember you can have it too, without, of course, the obvious side-effects of hair fall, split ends and so on.
These natural remedies, if followed for four weeks,about three times a week can not only up the style quotient of your hair but also give you healthy,luxuriant hair. Something which you can flaunt for years together!
mens hairstyles for thin hair receding hairline
How to Maintain Healthy Hair: A Few Basic Tips
1. It’s normal to lose 100 to 150 strands of hair a day so don’t panic when you see a small bunch crawling across your tiled floor.
2. Comb wet hair with extreme care because they’re fragile and prone to breakage. Take a broad toothed comb and run it from the roots to the ends of your hair as gently as possible.Be careful while combing your hair. Use a wide-toothed comb after shampoo.
3. Trim your hair every few weeks to get rid of those brown and rough split ends. Cut about 1/4th an inch of your hair every 6 to 8 weeks to avoid the split ends to grow out again.
4. Don’t wash your hair everyday and whenever you do, apply some conditioner on the ends. Try and use the same brand of shampoo and conditioner.
5. Rinse the conditioner off with cold water as it is good for both strength and shine.It is important to condition your hair frequently.
6. Unlike the labels on the back of our food items, the labels on the back of our shampoos are mostly left unread. In the last few years, there has been a lot of focus on sulfate in shampoos. What are sulfates? They’re the reason your shampoo lathers the way it does. They clean your scalp and hair, departing the dirt from it. But some researchers also suggest that they strip your hair of essential oils. They’re also why your eye stings when shampoo runs down the side of your face. If you feel any kind of irritation on the scalp or find your hair drying up over time then try and buy a shampoo that’s sulfate-free.
7. If you’ve got dry hair then it’s best to avoid colouring. However, if you can’t resist that gorgeous shade of brown, especially under the winter sun then follow this clever advise shared on the blog Free People. Use lemon, chamomile tea or honey as they work as great hair lighteners. You can add lemon juice to water and spray it over your hair when you’re heading out. You can rinse your hair with brewed chamomile tea after you wash them with shampoo or add honey to the water you use to wash your hair.
Besides these basic tips, here are few home-remedies that’ll take you a long way. From home-made masks to heat protecting serums, we’ve got it all.
Even though you condition your hair after every wash, nothing quite works as good as deep conditioning. Every once in a while wash your hair with shampoo, squeeze out the extra water and towel dry it. Then take generous amounts of conditioner and apply it right to the root of your hair. Use a broad toothed comb and run it through your hair to make sure the conditioner reaches everywhere. Now, pull them up and clip them together. Leave the conditioner in for anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour. Pull them down, rinse thoroughly and enjoy silky smooth hair.(Also see: Home Remedies for Quick Hair Growth)
Keep Away the Heat
If you’re stepping out and want gorgeous curls or perfect waves, then there are a few ways you can get those without taking the help of a dryer, straightener or curler. If you must use your iron or curler then buy a serum of your choice or if you’ve got some time on your hands, make one at home.
1. Take some almond oil, coconut oil, hair conditioner, 250 ml water and a small empty spray bottle. Pour 200 ml of water in the spray bottle and add 2-3 drops of coconut and 4 to 5 almond oil to it. Add two really tiny drops of conditioner. Don’t use too much of it because it will lather. You can add lavender or some nice smelling oil if you’d like. Add the remaining water and shake well. Let the lather settle and it’s ready for use. (as suggested by beautytips4her)Coconut oil is a great ingredient to rejuvenate your hair.
2. It’s all about butter with this one. Take 4 ounces of shea butter, 4 ounces of cocoa butter and 20 drops of any essential oil of your choice. Heat the butter till it’s all liquid and let it cool. Add the essential oil to an empty, sterilized jar and pour the butter. Let the jar cool down till the butter takes a solid form again.
Home-Made Hair Masks
Some might be delicious enough to eat but the rest are just downright smelly! But the great thing is that you’ll easily find all of the ingredients in your pantry.
1. Egg, curd and mustard oil – If you’ve got hay-like dry hair then here’s the answer to all of your problems. Eggs are rich in vitamin A, B12, D and E, fatty acids and protein. The protein helps strengthen the roots, the fatty acids make it a natural hair conditioner and B12 helps add volume.
2. Avocado and peppermint oil (as suggested by hellonatural.co) – Also referred to as the butter pear, avocados are creamy, rich and the only fruit combines the protein of meat, fat of butter, vitamins and minerals of green vegetables and a nutty flavour. Mash some avocado, add a drop or two of peppermint oil and apply this mask on your hair. Leave it in for 15-20 minutes and wash off.
3. Olive oil, coconut oil and egg – Suggested by Bella Fitness blog, this one’s the ultimate mask for speedy hair growth. Warm 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, let it cool, add one or two eggs and two tablespoons of olive oil and apply.DIY Hair masks can come to your rescue for shiny, smooth and silky hair.
Oil is the Answer
A conditioner might work wonders for your hair but oil gives it certain minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids that don’t just strengthen your roots but also boost overall health of your hair. Coconut oil comes most recommended by hair experts and mothers! It can protect your hair from sun damage, dandruff and removes sebum build-up from hair follicles accelerating hair growth. You could also boil some curry leaves in coconut oil, strain the oil and apply. You could also use Chinese hibiscus flowers instead of curry leaves.
If you’re suffering from hair fall then olive oil would be a better bet. You can combine it with a host of other ingredients. Here are our top few:
1. Olive oil with honey and cinnamon powder (as suggested by the American Athletic Institute) – Massage this paste into your scalp, leave for 15 minutes and wash.
2. The LOC method – Suggested by Nicole Charnel on Charnels world.com, this one’s a real winner. It’s a three part method: leave in, oil and cream. First you use some water and then use a light weight oil like coconut, olive or almond. Follow this with shea butter or any creamy conditioner of your choice. Leave it in for a while and then wash thoroughly.
If there are any home remedies or hair care tips you’d like to share with us please do so under comments!