If you are looking for How To Install Exhaust Fan In Wall, then you are on the right page. It contains how to install exhaust fan in kitchen and how to install exhaust fan in window. Suppose you want to know how to install a bathroom vent through a wall instead. Then this article is what you need.
Installing a bathroom fan is just the solution you need for spaces that never seem to get dry. Moisture-laden air is the enemy of bathroom paint, fabrics such as towels and curtains, windows and doors, and window sills. Expelling bathroom moisture and odors makes for a far more pleasant bathroom experience for all.
While bathroom exhaust fan installation is not the easiest home improvement project, the bulk of the work is centered around the physical rigors of standing on a ladder and working above your head, along with the more taxing work of crouching in your attic while wearing a dust mask or respirator. Aside from the physical work, bathroom vent fan installation is not difficult to understand, as it involves only one 120V power source and one run of flexible ducting that extends no more than 6 feet.
how to install exhaust fan in window
How To Install Exhaust Fan In Wall
According to many building codes, bathroom exhaust fans are not required.
A bathroom window that is at least 3 feet square in area and which opens halfway can substitute for exhaust fans in many municipalities. Section R303 of the International Residential Code discusses light and ventilation regulations. If you wish to use a window in place of a fan, verify this with your local permit office.
What You’ll Need
Equipment / Tools
- Six-foot ladder
- Pair of safety glasses
- Dust mask or respirator
- Reciprocating saw
- Cordless drill
- 1/2-inch drill bit
- Drywall jab saw
- Stud finder
- 1 Bathroom exhaust fan
- 6 foot flexible ducting
- 1 Round wall vent or roof vent cap
- Exterior grade silicone caulk
Before You Begin
Two issues often concern homeowners taking on this project: power and venting to the outside. Most residential bathroom fans use AC 120V electrical lines. These instructions offer tips for finding live electrical cables and running them to the correct location.
Venting means that after air from the bathroom is drawn into the exhaust fan; it is blown through a connected flexible duct and out of the house through a hole in the side of the house or roof. Since this is a new installation, not a replacement, your bathroom will not have ducting. However, as long as you can access the attic area above the bathroom ceiling, you will be able to route the flexible tubing outside.
Turn off the electricity to the existing ceiling light by flipping off the circuit breaker at the service panel. Locate your attic access door and enter it via the ladder, bringing your respirator and your portable light.
- Find or Establish the Power SourceThe bathroom vent fan will be installed in the ceiling. You may already have power running to the exact point where you intend to install the bathroom vent fan. Depending on your local electrical code, you may be able to share your bathroom lighting circuit with the fan. The bathroom lighting circuit usually supplies power to your bathroom’s ceiling light. Alternatively, you can substitute the light for a fan/light combination.If your code requires you to run a dedicated circuit for the fan, you can run a new cable from the service panel to the bathroom ceiling area. If you do not feel comfortable establishing new circuits and working with the service panel, this would be time to contact an electrician to complete this task.
- Locate the Vent PointAir exhausted by the fan must exit outdoors. Thus, you will need to run a duct from the fan to either the roof or a side wall. If at all possible, run the flexible ducting to a side wall, as this helps you avoid shingle work and the possibility of roof leaks. Ideally, the rule of thumb for vent location is to choose a spot that is:
- A direct route from the fan to the outside
- Six feet long or less from the bathroom fan to the exit point
- In the bathroom interior, not in a hallway
- Located close to the shower, tub, or shower/tub combination, as this is the area that produces the most moisture
- As straight as possible to avoid sharp bends that can impede airflowDrill a locator hole at the center of the intended location.
- Cut the Exterior Vent LocationDepending on where you intend to exhaust to the exterior, access either the side wall or the roof of the house.Bring your round vent (for walls) or vent cap (for roofs). Also bring your reciprocating saw, cordless drill, pencil, and silicone caulk. Situate the round vent or vent cap across the locator hole. With the pencil, scribe a circle where the vent or cap will fit. Use the reciprocating saw to cut the circle, with the locator hole as a start point for the saw blade. Attach the round vent or roof cap with screws, first applying silicone caulk to ensure a watertight fit.On a roof, you will need to slip the flashing of the roof cap under the shingles above the midsection of the vent opening to ensure a watertight installation. This may require removing some shingle nails and/or trimming the surrounding shingles to fit around the roof cap.
- Cut the Interior Opening for the Bathroom FanFrom below, use the stud finder to locate the joists in the bathroom ceiling and lightly mark with a pencil.If the fan comes with a paper template, use the template to mark the intended location of the fan in the ceiling. If there is no template, use the metal fan housing itself (leave the fan assembly out for now). Many bathroom fans screw directly to the side of the joist. If so, place the template or housing parallel to a joist when making the cut lines.Cut out the drywall carefully with the jab saw.
how to install exhaust fan in kitchen
- Attach the Bathroom Fan to the JoistAccess the attic and bring your light, cordless drill, screws, and bathroom fan housing. Place the fan in the cut-out hole so that the bottom edge of the fan is flush with the bottom of the ceiling drywall. You will need a partner for this step, as you cannot see the ceiling from this position.Screw the fan into the side of the joists with the cordless drill. If you cannot use the side of a joist as an attachment point, your fan may come with suspension brackets. If not, you can purchase these separately. Brackets will allow the fan to be suspended in a position that is not adjacent to a joist.While you are still in the attic, fit the electrical wire through the side of the housing so that roughly seven inches of the wire extends into the housing.
- Route the Bathroom Fan to the ExteriorGo back down to the bathroom and verify the vertical placement of the fan. Gather your flexible ducting and take it back into the attic. Attach the flexible tubing to the fan and the vent. Ensure that the tubing runs as smoothly and directly as possible.
- Attach the Bathroom Fan to the HousingIn the bathroom, insert the fan unit into the housing, per the manufacturer’s instructions. At this point, you will strip the ends of the electrical wires and hard-wire them into the unit. Typically, either a bare wire or green wire will attach to the side of the metal housing for grounding, a critical safety measure.Attach the fan grille to the face of the housing. Turn the circuit breaker back on. Return to the bathroom and test the fan by turning on the switch.
BEST SITES LIKE ALIEXPRESS FOR ONLINE SHOPPING
AliExpress is a massively popular Chinese online retail service owned by Alibaba Group. It was launched in 2010 and hasn’t stopped its journey to becoming the ‘biggest online marketplace of the world‘ ever-since. AliExpress stands toe-to-toe even with Amazon in terms of buyers worldwide. It offers wholesale goods at direct-to-consumer prices from Chinese sellers.
It also works as a great dropshipping model for a lot of e-commerce entrepreneurs. Along with a lot of good sides, AliExpress has some cons as well. The biggest problem is the shipping time of AliExpress orders, which is pretty long considering the goods come from China. Also, some orders can be very expensive after shipping charges and taxes.
So, it is a good thing to have some AliExpress alternatives whenever you don’t like its services. That’s why we are telling you about 21 best sites like AliExpress. Some of these websites offer cheaper prices and faster shipping on certain products. And, you can also use them to maintain a nice profit margin for your dropshipping business.
LightInTheBox is the perfect AliExpress alternative as it is also a Chinese e-Store. It sells hot and trending products across the globe. Their products range from phone and electronics to fashion, jewelry, shoes, bags, and many other items. You can find almost anything here at a very cheap price.
The delivery time of LightInTheBox is also similar to AliExpress as their warehouses are located only in China. But, you may get a faster shipping time due to having fewer orders to ship. You can pay for your orders with PayPal, Western Union, or your credit card.
Wish is a widely popular online marketplace where you can buy almost anything. From clothing to footwear, electronics, healthcare items, and many more things, you can get them all for an incredibly cheap price. They are also known to offer great deals and coupons to their new customers.
Their shipping time is also faster than AliExpress as their products come from sellers located in small countries. Wish also provides an advanced rating system that is very helpful for both the consumers as well as sellers. It helps promote good ones.
Overstock is a US-based online marketplace. It makes profit by selling wholesale products at a highly cheap price tag. A major portion of their stock is comprised of overstock from the major retailers or their seconds. You can find some really amusing deals here. The shipping time will also be lower as compared to the Chinese marketplaces. You can get your items within a week.
The product range of Overstock is incredible. You can find everything such as clothing, decor, kitchen appliances, and many more items. You can even find furniture and other big home items. So, you can use to fill your house with great stuff at a reduced price.
DealeXtreme, more popularly known as DX, is an amazing online marketplace. The website works in a very similar manner as ‘Wish’ and sells cheap products coming directly from sellers. It has partnered with many small businesses and sells its products to a wide base of audience.
The shipping time is a problem with DX also because their warehouses are located in China. Apart from this, you can get some really worthy deals on DX. You should always keep an eye on their clearance sales for the best prices.
Gearbest is the perfect AliExpress alternative if you are looking to shop for the latest gadgets or electronic devices. It works with over 5000 Chinese brands and top suppliers to deliver the best products. It has products from top Chinese companies such as Xiaomi, Huawei, Lenovo, and many others. But, it isn’t just an electronic store.
You can also find a massive range of other products as well. The prices available on GearBest are reduced, and you can even reduce them with the available coupons. They also have warehouses in multiple countries. So, you can get faster shipping from the local warehouse.
BangGood is another Chinese e-commerce platform that provides worldwide shipping of cheap goods. You can find almost anything on this website, from clothing to electronics, and even home items. The prices available are marked down from their original prices. You can also get amazing deals during special clearance sales.
BangGood provides a free $20 coupon to every new user. The shipping time for BangGood orders is faster than AliExpress for certain products. However, the regular shipping time is similar.
ChinaBrands is a widely popular Chinese e-Store where you can buy products at wholesale prices. You can find almost anything on this website at a highly affordable price. Their shipping prices are also low but you will get a long shipping time. It is the perfect website for buyers who want the lowest prices but can wait for their orders for at least a month.
Most of the ChinaBrands sellers run their factories from China, and their warehouses are located there only. This is the reason for the considerably long shipping time.
Bonanza is a unique American online marketplace where you can find a great range of products. They have over 20 million items from more than 50,000 sellers. It is a growing e-commerce store where even you can sell your items. It is a preferred platform by more than 20,000 entrepreneurial sellers. You can find some really amazing handcrafted items and collectibles here.
For people looking to shop regular items, this store may disappoint you a little. The prices of some items may be a little higher than some Chinese stores. But, the quality provided will be worth it.
21 ALIEXPRESS ALTERNATIVE STORES
Here are 21 AliExpress Alternatives that you can use to shop online.
- DealXtreme (DX)
- American Greenwood
AliExpress is amazing but it is always good to have options when you are shopping. So, these are the 21 best sites like AliExpress. If you ever feel like you should look somewhere else, these are some stores that you should visit. You can also use these for your dropshipping business if you are an aspiring entrepreneur. Make sure you have a solid plan before beginning.