If you are looking for How To Install Shop Exhaust Fan, then you are on the right page. It contains how to make frame for exhaust fan and how to install an exhaust fan in garage. Suppose you want to know how to install exhaust fan in window instead. Then this article is what you need.
It’s the best way to expel moisture-laden air and odors, and we have step-by-step instructions for adding a bathroom ceiling vent fan
how to install exhaust fan in window
How To Install Shop Exhaust Fan
how to install an exhaust fan in garage
3 out of 5ModerateCan escalate to challenging, depending on how easy it is to run the duct to the outdoors.
$120 to $175
6 to 8 hours
Installing a ventilating fan in your bath will help eliminate fogged-up windows, steamy mirrors and stale odors. But more importantly, it will help prevent moisture-related problems, such as the growth of mold and mildew. Here, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows the proper way to install a bath vent fan. In this particular installation, Tom ran the exhaust duct into the attic and through a sidewall to the outdoors.
Other venting options includes running the duct up through the roof or down through the soffit. Note that the bathroom vent fan must always exhaust to the outdoors; never allow the duct to simply blow into an attic, crawlspace or other enclosed area. Also, the installation of the bathroom exhaust fan will go much quicker if you ask a spouse or friend to help be in the attic while you work from below, or to hand you tools while you’re on the ladder.
Step 1: Bath Vent Overview
A bathroom without a ventilation fan is like a fireplace without a chimney: If you fail to pull the moisture generated in the bathroom out of there, it will migrate into the walls and grow mold and mildew, or blister paint and peel wallpaper. One reason many households still don’t have bath fans is that they can be intimidating to install.
That’s why we asked This Old House general contractor Tom Silva to show us how. The bathroom here is below an accessible attic, so Tom ran the exhaust duct across the attic and out a gable end.
Bathroom vent fans are rated by how many cubic feet of air they can move in one minute, known as the CFM rating. To determine which size fan to buy for your bath, multiply the room’s square footage by 1.1. For example, a 100-square-foot bath would require a 110 CFM-rated fan. Fans also have a sound rating, measured in sones. (A modern refrigerator operates at about one sone.)
Vent fans range from as low as 0.5 sone up to about 6.0 sones. You’ll find both the CFM and sone ratings printed on the vent fan’s box.
Step 2: Drill a Reference Hole
- Draw a mark on the bathroom ceiling where you’d like to install the vent fan. For optimum performance, locate it between the shower and the toilet.
- Use an extra-long, 3/8-inch-diameter spade bit to bore a reference hole through the ceiling and into the attic. Climb into the attic and clear away any insulation from around the hole. Now use the reference hole to determine the exact position of the fan.
- Measure the vent fan housing. Try to position the vent fan directly between two joists near your reference hole. Take into account any nearby pipes or other obstructions. Note the final position of the vent fan in relation to the reference hole.
Step 3: Mark the Ceiling
- Back in the bathroom, measure the inside dimensions of the vent fan’s intake port to determine what size hole you need to cut in the ceiling.
- Use the reference hole as a landmark to transfer your measurements from the attic to the ceiling.
- Use a layout square or framing square to draw the rectangular outline of the intake port onto the ceiling.
Step 4: Cut the Intake-Port Hole
- Using a jigsaw (a reciprocating saw or drywall saw will also work), and wearing goggles and a respirator, cut through the ceiling on the layout lines.
- When you’re almost finished making the rectangular cutout, support the waste piece with one hand to keep it from falling and possibly taking some of the surrounding drywall or plaster ceiling with it.
Step 5: Position the Fan
- Back in the attic, attach a 4-inch, 90-degree duct elbow to the outlet port on the side of the vent fan housing. Aim the elbow straight up and secure it to the port with foil duct tape.
- Remove the knockout hole on the side of the fan’s housing and attach a cable connector.
- Slide the four metal brackets into the tabs protruding from the sides of the vent fan.
- Set the vent fan down into place between the joists, centered on the ceiling hole.
Tip: Use foil duct tape; unlike fabric duct tape, it won’t deteriorate over time.
Step 6: Attach the Fan to the Joists
- Fully extend the brackets until they come in contact with the sides of the joists.
- Secure each bracket end with a single 1½-inch drywall screw.
- Take the flexible duct that comes with the wall cap kit and slip one end over the elbow attached to the vent fan. Secure it with foil duct tape.
- Feed the existing or new electrical cable through the connector, then tighten the connector screw to secure the cable.
Step 7: Cut a Duct Hole Through the Sidewall
- From inside the attic, select a spot on the sidewall for the flexible duct to exit the house. The location should be between two wall studs and within 6 feet of the vent fan.
- Take a couple of reference measurements so that you can locate the spot from outside—from a nearby window, soffit, or other feature you can access from outdoors.
- Mark the hole location on the siding, using the reference measurements.
- Cut the duct hole through the house wall using a 4-inch hole saw.
Step 8: Attach the Exhaust Duct to the Wall Cap
- After securing the wall cap to the outside wall, move into the attic.
- Grab the free end of the flexible exhaust duct and carefully stretch it to the outside wall.
- Attach the duct end to the wall cap’s connector duct with foil duct tape.
Step 9: Install the Wall Cap
- Fasten the 12-inch-long connector duct to the wall cap with foil duct tape.
- From outside, slide the wall cap into the duct hole and push it tight against the house siding. Cut a foam-rubber gasket to fit into any spaces where the wall cap doesn’t contact the siding.
- Remove the wall cap and apply a bead of silicone adhesive to the siding and gasket around the hole.
- Slide the wall cap into the hole and press it against the siding. Secure it to the siding with four 1½-inch stainless steel screws.
Step 10: Make the Wire Connections
- From the bathroom, unscrew and remove the blower motor from the vent fan housing. Save the screws.
- Next, unscrew the built-in receptacle from inside the housing to expose its wiring. Again, save the screws.
- Use wire nuts to join same-color wires with the ones from the electrical cable you fed into the housing in Step 5: white to white, black to black.
- Wrap the bare copper wire under the green grounding screw inside the housing and tighten the screw.
- Place the electrical receptacle back into position and secure it with the two screws removed from it earlier.
Step 11: Attach the Grille
- Raise the blower motor up to the ceiling, then push its plug into the electrical receptacle inside the housing.
- Secure the motor to the housing with the screws removed from it earlier.
- Hold the fan’s plastic grille close to the ceiling. Slip the grille’s mounting wires into the slots inside the fan housing.
- Push up on the grille until it’s tight against the ceiling.
- Turn the power back on and test the fan.
Tip: If the grille doesn’t hold tight against the ceiling, spread apart its mounting wires to create more tension.
BEST SITES LIKE ALIEXPRESS FOR ONLINE SHOPPING
AliExpress is a massively popular Chinese online retail service owned by Alibaba Group. It was launched in 2010 and hasn’t stopped its journey to becoming the ‘biggest online marketplace of the world‘ ever-since. AliExpress stands toe-to-toe even with Amazon in terms of buyers worldwide. It offers wholesale goods at direct-to-consumer prices from Chinese sellers.
It also works as a great dropshipping model for a lot of e-commerce entrepreneurs. Along with a lot of good sides, AliExpress has some cons as well. The biggest problem is the shipping time of AliExpress orders, which is pretty long considering the goods come from China. Also, some orders can be very expensive after shipping charges and taxes.
So, it is a good thing to have some AliExpress alternatives whenever you don’t like its services. That’s why we are telling you about 21 best sites like AliExpress. Some of these websites offer cheaper prices and faster shipping on certain products. And, you can also use them to maintain a nice profit margin for your dropshipping business.
LightInTheBox is the perfect AliExpress alternative as it is also a Chinese e-Store. It sells hot and trending products across the globe. Their products range from phone and electronics to fashion, jewelry, shoes, bags, and many other items. You can find almost anything here at a very cheap price.
The delivery time of LightInTheBox is also similar to AliExpress as their warehouses are located only in China. But, you may get a faster shipping time due to having fewer orders to ship. You can pay for your orders with PayPal, Western Union, or your credit card.
Wish is a widely popular online marketplace where you can buy almost anything. From clothing to footwear, electronics, healthcare items, and many more things, you can get them all for an incredibly cheap price. They are also known to offer great deals and coupons to their new customers.
Their shipping time is also faster than AliExpress as their products come from sellers located in small countries. Wish also provides an advanced rating system that is very helpful for both the consumers as well as sellers. It helps promote good ones.
Overstock is a US-based online marketplace. It makes profit by selling wholesale products at a highly cheap price tag. A major portion of their stock is comprised of overstock from the major retailers or their seconds. You can find some really amusing deals here. The shipping time will also be lower as compared to the Chinese marketplaces. You can get your items within a week.
The product range of Overstock is incredible. You can find everything such as clothing, decor, kitchen appliances, and many more items. You can even find furniture and other big home items. So, you can use to fill your house with great stuff at a reduced price.
DealeXtreme, more popularly known as DX, is an amazing online marketplace. The website works in a very similar manner as ‘Wish’ and sells cheap products coming directly from sellers. It has partnered with many small businesses and sells its products to a wide base of audience.
The shipping time is a problem with DX also because their warehouses are located in China. Apart from this, you can get some really worthy deals on DX. You should always keep an eye on their clearance sales for the best prices.
Gearbest is the perfect AliExpress alternative if you are looking to shop for the latest gadgets or electronic devices. It works with over 5000 Chinese brands and top suppliers to deliver the best products. It has products from top Chinese companies such as Xiaomi, Huawei, Lenovo, and many others. But, it isn’t just an electronic store.
You can also find a massive range of other products as well. The prices available on GearBest are reduced, and you can even reduce them with the available coupons. They also have warehouses in multiple countries. So, you can get faster shipping from the local warehouse.
BangGood is another Chinese e-commerce platform that provides worldwide shipping of cheap goods. You can find almost anything on this website, from clothing to electronics, and even home items. The prices available are marked down from their original prices. You can also get amazing deals during special clearance sales.
BangGood provides a free $20 coupon to every new user. The shipping time for BangGood orders is faster than AliExpress for certain products. However, the regular shipping time is similar.
ChinaBrands is a widely popular Chinese e-Store where you can buy products at wholesale prices. You can find almost anything on this website at a highly affordable price. Their shipping prices are also low but you will get a long shipping time. It is the perfect website for buyers who want the lowest prices but can wait for their orders for at least a month.
Most of the ChinaBrands sellers run their factories from China, and their warehouses are located there only. This is the reason for the considerably long shipping time.
Bonanza is a unique American online marketplace where you can find a great range of products. They have over 20 million items from more than 50,000 sellers. It is a growing e-commerce store where even you can sell your items. It is a preferred platform by more than 20,000 entrepreneurial sellers. You can find some really amazing handcrafted items and collectibles here.
For people looking to shop regular items, this store may disappoint you a little. The prices of some items may be a little higher than some Chinese stores. But, the quality provided will be worth it.
21 ALIEXPRESS ALTERNATIVE STORES
Here are 21 AliExpress Alternatives that you can use to shop online.
- DealXtreme (DX)
- American Greenwood
AliExpress is amazing but it is always good to have options when you are shopping. So, these are the 21 best sites like AliExpress. If you ever feel like you should look somewhere else, these are some stores that you should visit. You can also use these for your dropshipping business if you are an aspiring entrepreneur. Make sure you have a solid plan before beginning.