If you’re going to repair old bolts and nuts or want to make your own from scratch, you’re going to need a great Imperial tap and die set. But, you don’t want to make a bad decision and get ripped off.
It can be hard to know what makes for a good deal when shopping online. Manufacturers often tell you all the good things about their products but shy away from any of the downsides, which can make it hard to tell if you’re getting something that is high-quality or not.
If you want to get the best value for your money on a tap and die set, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve assembled a list of reviews of the best tap and die sets of 2020, so you can get to know each set before you buy. We also included a buyer’s guide, so that you can learn everything you need to know about these tools.
Imperial tap and die set
1. GearWrench 75 Piece 3887 Tap And Die Set
The 75-piece GearWrench Tap and Die set (model 3887) is ideal for use in tight, confined areas, and the patented Twist Lock Guide System reduces backwalk of die guide and keeps dies centered while cutting threads.
- Ratcheting T-wrench provides a 5-degree ratcheting arc.
- Reversible lever allows for quick changes from forward to revers to eliminate hand-over-hand turning.
- Patented Twist Lock Guide System reduces backwalk of die guide.
- Auto locking feature allows for safe removal of tap adapter.
- Reversible lever eliminates hand over hand turning.
- Carbon steel construction.
2. Irwin Tools 117 Piece 26377 Tap And Die Set
- The IRWIN HANSON Machine Screw/Fractional/Metric Tap and Hex Die and Drill Bit Deluxe Set contains almost every tap, hex die, and drill bit a craftsman may need for maintenance and auto repair work.
- Massive set features tools perfectly crafted for hand-threading a variety of materials.
- Crafted of high carbon steel to provide professional accuracy.
- Also contains a set of high speed steel drill bits for pairing with the included taps.
3. Neiko 00916A TitaniumTap And Die Set
- Effortlessly cut new material or repair damaged threads, saving time purchasing new threads.
- Titanium cutting edges hold sharpness up to 20x longer than steel, making it perfect for any small or large projects.
- Equipped in a heavy duty molded case for easy identification, storage and portability for all on the go jobs.
- Professional grade steel construction is highly durable and built to last for multiple uses.
- Complete set includes T-handle tap wrenches, adjustable die wrench and T-Handle tap wrench, screwdriver and thread pitch gauge.
4. GearWrench 114 Piece 82812 Tap And Die Set
- 114-piece GearWrench Tap and Die set is ideal for use in tight, confined areas, and the patented Twist Lock Guide System reduces backwalk of die guide and keeps dies centered while cutting threads.
- Extension adapters provide access in tight confined areas.
- Complete set of ratcheting T-handle system of tap and die tools.
- Length of tap and die system can be extended by combining adapters and any 3/8 drive extension.
- Tap holders tilt down for easy access keeping taps secure and organized ,
- Works with round and hex shaped dies , includes 4-40 to 3/4 and 3 to 18mm sizes.
- Reversible lever eliminates hand over hand turning
5. ABN 60 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Comprehensive set for cutting and renewing external and internal threads to exacting standards.
- Each tap and die is constructed from hardened alloy steel for maximum strength so they can easily cut materials such as cast iron, steel, aluminum, copper, and more.
- This 60-piece set is neatly contained inside a heavy-duty plastic blow-molded case for your convenience.
- Coarse and fine threaded and numbered taps and dies from #4 – 40 to #12 – 24.
- Fractional taps and dies from 1/4″ – 28 to 1/2″ – 20, 1/8″ – 27 NPT tap and die.
- Metric tap and dies from M3 x .5 to M12 x 1.75.
6. OrangeA 86 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Precision ground and polished surfaces to facilitate chip removal
- Tapered plug taps and dies are the most commonly used style and are perfect for most hand threading applications.
- Start easily, either cutting new material or chasing lightly damaged threads.
- Precision machined to exacting standards.
- Heavy duty heat-treated tungsten steel construction.
7. Neiko 00908A 76 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Professional-grade quality, these pieces are forged with a base of special alloy steel that produces incredible strength without brittleness.
- Titanium-brazed coating ensures sharpness lasts up to twenty times longer than steel.
- Set includes the 20 most commonly-used tap-and-die Metric sizes.
- T-handle tap wrench.
- Die adapter and set screw driver.
- Die-stock handle wrench.
- Adjustable tap handle wrench.
- Die size-adapter and screwdriver.
8. EFFICERE 40 Piece Tap And Die Set
- EFFICERE 40-Piece Premium Metric Tap and Die Set is the perfect choice for your hand threading jobs at home, garage and shop.
- Can be used to either cut new threads or chase existing threads.
- Made from highly durable GCr15 bearing steel, and cuts through a wide range of metal pipes and rods including carbon steel, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, copper and much more.
- Cutting teeth are professionally CNC machined and heat treated to Rockwell hardness 60 HRC for providing aggressive, clean and precise threading results.
- Taps and dies also feature a tapered design, allowing an easier start and preventing over threading.
9. TEKTON 7560 45 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Made of tungsten alloy high speed steel, the TEKTON 45-pc.
- Features 20 taps and 20 dies in a full range of coarse and fine sizes from 1/4 in. to 1 in.
- Tapered plug taps and dies are the most commonly used style and are appropriate for most hand threading applications.
- Using proper technique and the right lubricant, these taps and dies will cut mild carbon and alloy steel, stainless steel, cast iron, aluminum, brass and bronze.
10. Bosch B44718 40 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Bosch black oxide taps and dies offer superior durability and speed for most general-purpose applications.
- Laser-etched marking ensures size identification and won’t wear off.
- Ideal for cutting thread holes into metal and work equally well in plastic drilling applications.
- Cut and renew internal threads to exacting specifications.
- Use with aluminum, mild steel, and stainless steel.
I hope this list of the best tap and die sets was helpful.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.