Have you been searching the internet for konjac sponge reviews, konjac sponge charcoal review, konjac sponge reviews acne, ecotools konjac sponge reviews or konjac sponge company reviews?You need not search further. W e bring you everything you need to know on Konjac sponge and more.
What is the Konjac Sponge?
Well, to start, it might be interesting to know that konjac actually comes from a potato-like plant in Asia that is both cultivated and grows wild at high altitudes. The Japanese have used Konjac for over 1500 years as a food source and over the last century have been using the Konjac potato as a beauty treatment. The Konjac sponge has been handmade from the vegetable fibre of this plant along with French clays and some contain pure charcoal from bamboo. As a result, the Konjac sponge is extremely gentle and 100% biodegradable – you can compost it when it’s time for a new one.
What Does the Konjac Sponge Do?
The Konjac sponge is an extremely gentle cleanser for both face and body. I have two separate sponges, one for my body and one for my face. The sponge acts as a gentle exfoliator, rubbing off dead skin cells in the most delicate manner. The extra soft texture means that its ok for anyone to use, babies included (they even have a sponge for babies too!). While this won’t replace your makeup remover (eye makeup more specifically) it can gently take off much of your face makeup in a matter of minutes.
How Do I Use the Konjac Sponge?
When you pick up your sponge it will be dry and hard. You will need to wet it under warm water until it’s completely soaked through and soft. Once it is wet and puffy, simply use the flat side in a circular motion around your face to exfoliate and remove dirt and grime. This circular massaging will stimulate tired skin & encourage skin renewal – and we can all use a bit of that!
WHAT CAN A KONJAC SPONGE DO FOR MY SKIN?
A Konjac sponge is a bit like the Bentley of the face cloth world. There are 3 things this ‘hard and also squidgy when soaked’ sponge can do for you…
- Let’s start with the simple shizzle first. A Konjac sponge will clean your face. It works just like a face wipe/towelette [the posh version *winks*] , a cotton pad or a flannel. This is a tool to cleanse your face with.
- Next up, the Konjac sponge will exfoliate your face. Remember the 2 types of exfoliation? Physical and Chemical? Well a Konjac sponge is your classic ‘physical exfoliate’. This vegetable sponge has a lot of tiny little fibres that gently ‘buff’ away at your skin while you use it. This means that dead skin cells that are ready to leave you but have gotten a bit too attached are given a helping hand off your face. This helps with everything from spots to skin brightening. oh and your face is going to feel super smooth… maybe even like a babies bottom!
- The added extra to a Konjac sponge is that because it is a vegetable it also has some mineral goodness in there too. A lot of sponges are also boosted with an added extra like aloe vera juice or activated charcoal. This ‘potentially’ brings more good things to your skin…
THE KEY BENEFITS OF A KONJAC SPONGE
What we really want to know is WHAT can a Konjac sponge do for my skin that goes ‘above and beyond’? What are the special sprinkles in the CV of a Konjac sponge that would make us pick this guy for the job?
- It’s all about exfoliation baby. This is a mild, can use every day exfoliating tool. Gently effective and therefore great for sensitive skin types. The bit to be careful about is this ‘physical exfoliate’ also depends on your very own hand ‘taadaa!’… that means you have some part to play in how gentle this exfoliation is.
- It’s biodegradable… and there is no need to rub yourself with a dead animal *winks*. Really this is the KEY point of difference between other physical exfoliates and this Konjac dude. The Konjac sponge is not only natural but also sustainable and biodegradable. This is one physical exfoliate you can feel good about #YayToTheMicrobeadBan.
KONJAC SPONGE WORDS OF WISDOM
..and generally how to avoid spending more £’s that these dudes are worth.
- The added extras are most active down your sink. Don’t be sold on spending a few £/$’s more for an aloe vera juiced version. Those added extras, including the minerals that are naturally found in Konjac are going to be having most fun in your plug hole. It’s like putting a sheet mask on for 10 seconds and expecting skin to ‘zap up’ that aloe/insert other skin drink ingredient HERE. Save these key ingredients for your ‘leave-on’ moisturiser investment!
- They are a bee’s hive for bacteria. The average lifespan of a Konjac sponge is recommended as 2-3 months but bacteria will start to ‘colonise’ your Konjac sponge way before the 2 month ‘best-before’ date. You use this guy to help dead skin off your face which means, dead skin gets helped on to the Konjac. Dead skin and dampness from the last time you used it are all bacteria need to feast and grow. There are published science studies on how well these natural materials can grow bacteria and not only that, these bacteria can also cause infection to human beings aka US! The draw back of a Konjac sponge is to ‘de-contaminate’ you need hot water or bleach and these will break down the natural material of a Konjac sponge.
Konjac Sponge Advice Line: If you do have a Konjac sponge, you’re reading this and thinking holy crap – what!?!?! Is my Konjac a hive of bacteria’s? The best manufacturer guidance I’ve seen for cleaning ’em is to put the sponge in a bowl of water and put it in the microwave for up to a minute (depending on your power setting). Then make sure to get it bone dry as quick as possible – warm airing cupboard anyone? Your bathroom is usually the worst place to leave a Konjac sponge to dry out as generally your bathroom will be the most humid room in your house.
THE KONJAC SPONGE BOTTOM LINE
A great little mild exfoliating tool that is ‘free from’ a lot of things and completely naturally biodegradable. You can feel ‘environmentally’ good about using the Konjac sponge. You do however need to be super careful how you look after this guy. The Konjac is high maintenance as it likes to set itself up as a half-way house for bacteria’s. I would realistically advise a Konjac sponge is going to be clear of huge hives of bacteria for only 1-2 weeks if treated properly.
Konjac Sponge Reviews
If you are into a vegan-friendly and sustainable skincare routine, a konjac sponge is one product you should be using. This small and squishy sponge is 100% natural, which is made using Konjac vegetable fibers. It is great for gentle exfoliation of the skin to reveal a youthful and radiant glow!
What is Konjac?
To begin with, let’s first talk about konjac, which is everything that makes this facial sponge special. Konjac is a porous vegetable you will find in Asia. It has plant fibers that are potent sources of skin-loving vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, lipids, proteins, and fatty acids.
The konjac sponge has been around for more than 100 years. It is said that its first use in Japan was as a sponge bath for newborns. Through the years, it evolved into a revolutionary sponge that we all know now as one of the best beauty products used even by celebrities.
Not convinced that a konjac sponge is a great addition to your skincare regimen? Let’s talk about its benefits to give you compelling reasons to use one. Among others, it is known for its exfoliating benefits, making the skin softer and smoother while helping get rid of the dead skin cells. It balances the skin’s pH while also preventing common skin problems, including acne, blemishes, whiteheads, and blackheads. The sponge also improves the staying power of your makeup.
Our Top Picks for the Best Konjac Sponge
Below are some of the konjac sponges that should be on your radar as well as the notable features that make them worthy of being on your list.
#1. MY Konjac Sponge All-Natural Original Pure Facial Sponge
If you are looking for an all-natural and luxurious konjac sponge, this is one product that is worth your attention. The purity of this product is second to none, so you can be confident that there are no components that will make it unsafe for the skin. Even if you have sensitive skin, there’s no need to worry about using this sponge.
One thing that you will love about this sponge is its softness. It is gentle on the skin, yet it is abrasive enough to get rid of the dirt and impurities that can cause a variety of skin problems. It is 100% natural and biodegradable, making it a great addition to your green beauty routine.
According to the manufacturer, the sponge can withstand up to three years of use. However, if it starts to break, replace it immediately.
#2. Julep All-Natural Charcoal Konjac Sponge
Charcoal has long been a revered ingredient for skincare products, which is also the reason why this konjac sponge is popular. The bamboo charcoal powder that combines with the konjac fibers allows the detoxification of the skin without resulting in irritation.
Based on the information from the manufacturer, this product is gentle enough so you can use it day and night without worries that it will strip the natural oils of the skin. You can also use it on its own or along with your favorite face cleanser.
#3. Neutripure Konjac Sponge Set
Value for money – this is one of the best things that you can expect from this product. Aside from the fact that it is affordable, you will also love how it comes in a sampler pack that contains five sponges.
Each sponge that is included in this set has a different color. The good news is that it does not contain artificial coloring. There is also no chemical filler. The color is a result of the natural ingredients that are used along with the konjac plant fibers. It has green tea, turmeric, and activated charcoal, which are all beneficial for the skin.
Worried about how your actions will impact the environment? One thing that you will love in this product is the fact that it is biodegradable. You can throw it straight into the compost.
#4. Honest Beauty Gentle Konjac Sponge with Pink Kaolin Clay
Say goodbye to your traditional washcloth! This konjac sponge is the best alternative that you can have for cleaning your face without irritation. It is a gentle cleansing and exfoliating tool that works perfectly even for people who have sensitive skin.
Aside from the konjac root, another main component of this sponge is pink kaolin clay. Kaolin is known for its many skin benefits, such as controlling oil production, soothing rashes, and toning the skin, among others.
The manufacturer recommends that you should not always use warm water with this sponge. Warm water is best only during winter. In the summer, on the other hand, it is best to use it with cold water, which gives the sponge a cooling effect to naturally refresh the skin.
#5. Mayberry Health and Home Konjac Body Sponge – 6-Pack
With this set, you will enjoy six konjac sponges in one pack. You will benefit from the different natural ingredients that are used in each sponge, which is also the one responsible for the difference in color. Aside from pure konjac, the sponges also use turmeric, green tea, and bamboo charcoal.
Worried that your money will go to waste? That should not be the case! It’s good to know that the manufacturer is offering a satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with the use of this sponge, just let the manufacturer know and they will issue an unconditional refund.
#6. Minamul Konjac Exfoliating Organic Facial Sponge
If you are looking for deep exfoliation without irritating the skin, this is another promising product you might want to consider. Aside from konjac fiber, it also contains bamboo fiber. The two makes a powerful combination to improve your skin’s health and appearance in more ways than one.
With the regular use of this facial sponge, you can expect natural healing. If your skin is prone to acne, the ingredients of the sponge can effectively control oil production. It also eliminates the impurities in the skin while detoxifying.
Each pack comes with six sponges. You can use each sponge for up to two months, which means that this is a year’s supply.
#7. By Milly Konjac Sponge for Face
Want to have a radiant glow? There are many things that you can do, but one of the most promising is the use of this konjac sponge. This facial sponge is as soft as a jelly, which makes it ultra-gentle on the skin. It is tough on the impurities and dirt that linger on the surface without being harsh on your skin.
Like most of the products that are included in our suggestions, another main component that you will find in this sponge is activated charcoal. It is eco-friendly and natural, promising to provide the skin nothing but the best when it comes to exfoliation.
Lastly, you can also buy this sponge with confidence since the manufacturer is offering a 100% guarantee of satisfaction.
#8. Kohle Company Charcoal Konjac Sponge Set
These charcoal sponges are mineral-rich and pH-balanced, so you can expect it to be safe, gentle, and effective even for people who have sensitive skin. It is biodegradable, vegan, and made using only natural fibers.
Made by a UK-based brand, the manufacturer guarantees that this is a completely safe facial sponge. You can use it even on the skin under the eyes without worries that it will irritate. This is unlike other skincare products that can do more harm than good.
Brightening, renewing, and cleansing are three of the main benefits you will enjoy from using this konjac sponge. It also boosts blood circulation, stimulates the renewal of cells, absorbs dirt, and pulls impurities.
#9. PureSol Konjac Sponge – Turmeric
PureSOL is one of the most popular brands of konjac sponges in the market, so you can be confident that the quality is hard to rival. Konjac is combined with turmeric in this product, but there is another variant wherein konjac is combined with activated charcoal.
Among others, one of the benefits of using this sponge is that it makes the skin smoother as a result of its exfoliating action. It gets rid of the impurities and toxins of the superficial layer of the skin, which soap and water alone may not be able to remove.
The natural woven fibers of the sponge are also responsible for its benefits, it stimulates blood flow and makes the skin brighter with regular use.
#10. MY Konjac Sponge All-Natural French Red Clay Sponge
One thing that makes it different from most of the products included in our recommendations is that it is quite bigger. This is because it is designed not only for facial exfoliation. You can also use it on the body and expect the same great result.
Aside from 100% konjac root, another thing that makes this effective is the French red clay. It has natural minerals that aid in the exfoliation to reveal a smoother, softer and fresher layer of your skin. It also makes the skin elastic, which is a great solution if you are concerned about skin aging. If you have psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema, this sponge will also prove to be promising.
#11. Beauty by Earth 2-pack Konjac Sponge
This set delivers the best bang for the buck since there are two sponges in one pack. However, take note that each sponge is designed specifically to suit a specific skin type. The white konjac sponge will work for all skin types. On the other hand, the black sponge is for those with problematic skin, such as for people who are oily or acne-prone.
The secret of the sponge lies on its components, which are derived from natural plant fibers. They are rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Vitamin E. It also has folic acid, carbohydrate, phosphorus, iron, and zinc, among other minerals that can deliver impressive benefits for the skin.
Not happy with the results of using this konjac sponge? Get in touch with the manufacturer and they will issue an unconditional refund.
#12. Miss Gorgeous Konjac Sponge Set
If you hate wasting your money on non-sense skincare products, you will love this konjac sponge set. It comes in a pack of five, all of which are made of natural plant fibers that will renew and refresh your skin without relying on harsh chemicals or toxic ingredients.
The konjac plant fibers that you will find in these sponges have natural alkaline and pH balance based on what is best for the skin. Each sponge also comes with a unique additive, which serves a distinct purpose. The additive determines the color of the sponge. For instance, the yellow sponge comes with turmeric. The black sponge, on the other hand, is mixed with activated charcoal.
#13. Maybella Organic Charcoal Konjac Sponge
Like most of our recommendations in this short guide, the konjac fibers in this sponge are also complemented by organic charcoal. This is also the reason why the sponge is black. The fibers are gentle even on kids or people who have sensitive skin, so there is no need to worry that it will irritate in any way or any other skin problem.
It is also a sustainable and eco-friendly product, like the others that we have briefly reviewed. This means that it does not contribute to environmental waste. It has components that will naturally breakdown over time, which is also why this will make good compost material.
#14. Flend Facial Konjac Sponges
If you want to incorporate an eco-friendly product in your skincare regimen, this is one option that you should not miss. It is a long-lasting sponge, unlike others that can easily be prone to wear with regular use. As a bonus, it comes in a pack of two. The smaller sponge is for the face while the larger one is for exfoliating the body.
There is also no need to worry about your satisfaction. You have one month to try the sponges. If you are unhappy in any way with its quality and the results, get in touch with the manufacturer and they will extend an unconditional refund.
#15. The Beauty Shelf Konjac Sponges
This is a variety pack of konjac sponges, so you can try different ingredients and see how they can do wonders for your skin health. The sponge with charcoal is good for acne treatment. Green tea, on the other hand, is to treat mature skin. Natural white, meanwhile, works best for people who have sensitive skin, including babies.
These sponges are hypoallergenic. They do not contain dyes, synthetic materials, artificial fragrances, and additives that can be harsh on the skin. It gently exfoliates without causing abrasion, so you can expect that it will make your skin smooth and glowing.
How to Choose the Best Konjac Sponge
Even if there are tons of options available in the market, this does not mean that you can just choose any konjac sponge and expect it to deliver impressive benefits. To make the right choice, below are the most important factors to consider:
- Skin Type: Start by considering your skin type to easily narrow down the possibilities. If you have normal skin, you can use almost any type of konjac sponge. If you have sensitive skin, choose one with gentle ingredients. For those with dry skin, the sponge should have ingredients that will help promote hydration.
- Ingredients: This will have an impact on the effects of the konjac sponge on the face. For instance, one with bamboo charcoal helps in removing excess oil and blackheads. Green tea, on the other hand, is effective for the reduction of inflammation. Citrus helps make the skin smoother. The ingredients that are used in the sponge will also affect its color.
- Number of Pieces: Many of the products mentioned above contain two to six sponges in one pack, which is a good way to enjoy the best bang for the buck. This way, you can enjoy multiple benefits from the different ingredients,
- Reviews: If you are having a hard time deciding which one is best to buy, rely on the reviews of other people. Learn from their real-life experiences and know what you can expect from a specific product.
Using a Konjac Sponge
To maximize the benefits of a Konjac sponge, you must use it properly. Take note of the steps we’ll briefly mention below.
- Start by pre-soaking the sponge. Leave it in warm water for about 15 minutes. This will make the fibers softer as it absorbs water. Remove the excess water from the sponge.
- Use warm water to dampen the skin. This helps the pores to open.
- Pick up the sponge and use it to massage your skin in a circular motion. In each pass, make the circle bigger. Make sure that you cover the entire area of the face. Avoid scrubbing too hard on the sensitive parts of the face, such as the skin under the eyes.
- For a deeper clean, add a drop of your preferred facial cleanser on the sponge and massage it on the face through a circular motion.
- After using the sponge, rinse it thoroughly. Squeeze to remove dirt and soap on the sponge. Hang it in a well-ventilated area. Alternatively, you can keep it in the fridge inside a container with an airtight seal.
For the best outcomes, we recommend that you use the konjac sponge twice a day – once in the morning and once at night. Also, for hygiene purposes, it is best to replace the sponge after six weeks of use for an assurance that it stays clean. Because it uses natural ingredients, you can use it as a compost.
Got questions about konjac sponge? We’ll answer some of them in this section and help you become a well-informed buyer.
How Does a Konjac Sponge Work?
Just like a normal sponge, the konjac sponge has a distinct material that allows it to absorb water. After saturating the sponge with water, there is now a liquid layer. This acts as a buffer and helps to exfoliate. The water also acts as the barrier between your skin and the sponge. The fiber will not directly get in contact with the face, which prevents it from scratching the skin.
What are the Ingredients of a Konjac Sponge?
This depends on the specific product that you will buy. Aside from the konjac root, it is often combined with other materials that deliver exceptional skincare benefits. All its other ingredients are also organic, which include turmeric, cherry extract, bamboo charcoal extract, green tea extract, and citrus extract, among others.
When Should You Replace a Konjac Sponge?
This depends on the recommendations of the manufacturer. In most cases, however, you need to replace it once within six to eight weeks of use. The failure to do so can negatively affect its effectiveness. It can turn into a breeding ground of bacteria. Mold and mildew can also be present, so be sure to replace it when needed and store it properly when not used.
Is Konjac Sponge for All Skin Types?
Yes, the sponge is suitable for all skin types. Even if you have sensitive skin, you don’t have to worry. It is made using mineral-rich plant fibers and other natural ingredients that will be gentle on the skin, which prevents irritation.
Take your skincare to the next level by using the best konjac sponge, including the products mentioned above. This Japanese beauty staple is making waves globally because of its effectiveness in gently exfoliating the skin. It is an all-natural regimen, so there is no need to worry about being harsh even on your sensitive skin.
Is there any other konjac sponge you would like to add to our recommendations? Do you have tips to share? Feel free to leave a comment below.