Lansky sharpener kit System allows even the most amateur users to sharpen knives quickly and efficiently. Sharpening a knife with a traditional stone can be difficult because holding the blade at the wrong, or an erratic angle does not allow for the blade’s bevel to be consistent. With this system, the angle guesswork is removed and the choice of hone grit is simple. Lansky advertises their system to make “Knife Sharpening as easy as 1,2,3!” and it really is.
Lansky Sharpening System Review Features
The system comes in a sturdy plastic box, about the size of a paperback book, which has a place for every included piece. Each hone connects to a guide rod.
This rod rides in a chosen hole, corresponding to the selected bevel angle (17, 20, 25, or 30 degrees).
The angle holes are on both sides of the blade clamp, which holds the knife’s blade during the sharpening. The hones have ergonomic grooves to protect your fingers.1 of 3
I also purchased their Super C-Clamp which aides in holding the blade clamp steady, as opposed to holding the whole setup in your hands. The movable post supports the blade clamp while sharpening.
Spare screws as well as a small bottle of Nathan’s Natural Honing Oil is included.
Nathan’s Honing Oil for cleaning the accumulated metal shavings from the hones.1 of 3
Honing Oil in action – before, during, and after use.
Lansky offers multiple different sharpening system kits. Each contains different combinations of their most popular hones. Some of the other offerings include special hones for serrated blades, Natural Arkansas Stones, and diamond hones. The collection reviewed here is their Deluxe system.
Lansky Sharpening System Review Performance
The use of the system was rather simple and straightforward, as advertised. Clamping and un-clamping the blade could be a bit clumsy, especially trying to hold the knife, clamp, and a screwdriver. This became easier after doing it a couple of times, a bit of a learning curve you might say. The blade was very secure once properly tightened.
Lansky sharpener kit
The hones removed a bit of metal, doing their job. The guide rods kept the stones at a consistent angle and moving along the blade became an easy motion once you got the hang of it.
I really like the ability to accurately maintain different bevel angles throughout multiple passes on each hone for whichever type of blade you’re sharpening.
Having everything housed in one handy box assures that you have all the pieces you need to get the job done and cuts down on losing any of the small parts (but if you do, they have included a spare of each of the two most commonly lost pieces).
While the guide rods are easily bent, and the whole system is based on a straight rod, they are just as easily bent back into shape. Additionally, extra rods are available should you need extras for other hones or to replace damaged or lost rods from your initial kit.
While the finger grooves are a very good idea, their execution could be done better. For those of us with big hands and/or girthy fingers, the grooves could be difficult to hold at times.
When using the 17-degree slot, the guide rod hit the thumb screw on the blade clamp. A completely tool-less method for securing blades in the clamp that do not interfere with any angle would be a very welcomed change.
I used this setup along with an additional leather stropping hone to sharpen some really dull and beat up kitchen knives at the fire station. It took a while to completely re-do their angle, but once the bevel was initially cut, the last 3 hones went faster. While a lot more work would be needed to remove the gouges in one of the blades, overall, they were very sharp.
Sharpening System Review Value
At the time of writing, Amazon sells the components for the following prices, adding up to just shy of $70:
- Deluxe Sharpening System – $38.82
- Super C-Clamp – $14.99
- Leather Stropping Hone – $10.38
- Spare Guide Rods (4pcs) – $5.75
With the initial sharpening system under $40, it is hard to beat the value. There are sharpeners available for far less than $40 but they have limitations that steered me away from them (non-adjustable angles, not suitable for multiple blade materials, needing more skill and time to use, just to name a few). Just the deluxe kit has the ability to accurately sharpen most knives in your kitchen, workshop, and pocket. This kit is suitable, if even just a starting point, for everyone from a sharpening amateur like myself to a knife expert. Other setups that have as much flexibility as this easily cost hundreds of dollars, with many being electric and needing 120-volt power.
Lansky Sharpening System Review Final Thought
This lightweight, compact, and versatile kit is great to keep anywhere from the glove box, toolbox, to even your backpack or bug out bag and sure to get plenty of use in almost any household or job site.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.