Finding the best Makita bit set and makita impact bit set can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the best makita drill bit set in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
makita impact bit set
Finding a bit is easy to do. Just about every manufacturer offers them and you can find them at almost any store. However finding a bit that will last and take the abuse of an impact driver, well that’s where it becomes hard to find a good bit. A while back I was at a big box store and saw a display for Makita Gold Bits. At the time I had never tried them or heard anything about them. I ended up buying them and long story short, I have pretty much been using them ever since. Now I can’t prove they are the best on the market because I have no way to really tell. However I do feel like they last longer than some of the other bits I have tried. So what makes them so good?
As the years have gone on, I am sure you have noticed more and more of your bits have broken, they seem not to last as long. Well I am not sure the real reason, but I bet it has a lot to do with the new impacts coming to the market. They are faster and stronger which makes existing bits wear and break much quicker. Makita saw a need and came up with a solution, the Makita Gold Bits. These gold bits extend the life of bits and help prevent cam-outs and stripped screws. In this line they also offer bit holders, nutsetters, socket adapters and more.
The gold bits are made from a high quality steel which provides strength. The tips are designed with precision which help prevent cam-outs and stripped screws. One of the biggest things about these bits is the torision technology. Basically this allows flex in the shaft underloads. This flex helps take the pressure of the tip, which makes these last longer. Still think a bit is just a bit? Well each Makita bit goes through five stages of a manufacturing process, including correction stage which makes these consistent and provides a superior fitment to help with control and allow a better fit.
Makita didn’t just stop with the insert bits, they took it a step further with the Nutsetters. Most use a magnet to hold the fastener in place, which is a great idea. One down side is the debris stays in place and is very hard to remove. Now you know over time, the debris just piles up which ends up stripping a head. With the Makita nutsetter, there isn’t a magnet. Instead they designed these with a “Grip-It” solution. This is a non-magnetic snap ring that holds the fastener in place so you never have to worry about that build up of debris.
Makita bit set
The Makita Impact Gold Difference
Bit Tip Engineering – after machining, these bits are deburred and corrected. In practice, this means higher bit tip precision and great consistency between bits. Bit-fastener engagement is exceptionally good.
Bit Geometry – Makita Impact Gold screwdriver bits are designed with a torsion zone that helps prevent bit tip damage by flexing slightly under load during high torque applications.
With standard impact bits, torsional forces build up near the tips and can lead to bit breakage or fastener damage. With these bits, the torsional forces are directed to the reduced-diameter so-called torsion zone. The energy is stored elastically and is transferred to the fastener once resistive forces ease.
Impact Gold bits are made from a special Tatara steel alloy, which seems to behave like a high performance hardened tool steel. Between applications, Impact Gold bits are not deformed; the torsion zone flexing is temporary.
Lasts up to 10X Longer – Makita claims that these bits last up to 10X longer than standard steel bits. That’s not something I can easily validate, but what I have seen is that these bits do wear appreciably slower than other brands’ standard impact bits.
Makita Impact Gold Bit Holders
To get a feel for the new Impact Gold bits, I started off by doing some A vs. B comparison testing. I reached into my tool box and pulled out a set of Dewalt impact-rated screwdriver bits ($38pc, $26 via Amazon).
After driving in and removing a few longer screws, I turned my attention to a pair of self-drilling screws. I drove the screws in, examined the wear on the bit, and then went to reverse them out. At the halfway point I lifted the impact driver away from the fastener, and the bit stayed with the screw!
This brings me to one of the best parts of Makita’s Impact Gold Ultra Magnetic bit holder – excellent bit retention.
Bit retention with this holder is impressive, thanks to a ring on the inside that snaps around the insert bits’ grooves. Removing bits the first few times required an aid, such as long nose pliers or the impact driver’s belt hook. I didn’t grab and pull on the bits, I pried them forward to avoid damaging them, using step created by the torsion step as the contact point. After having to use an aid the first times, I was then able to remove bits by hand.
Makita bundles their 21pc bit set with an Ultra Magnetic bit holder, which is also available separately, and you can also buy a standard bit holder. The standard bit holder features a large torsion zone, and can be used to prolong the life of other brands’ standard non-torsion zone impact screwdriver bits.
The Impact Gold Ultra Magnetic bit holder has two components – the bit holder itself, and a plastic sleeve that slides over it. The magnetic sleeve has a rare earth neodymium magnet (securely) embedded at the front.
You can use the Ultra Magnetic bit holder without its plastic sleeve if you’d like. Actually, I prefer to leave this part off when using the bit holder and bit for fastener removal, as it does block bit tip visibility.
For bit insertion or removal, the plastic sleeve must be removed.
Makita’s Ultra Magnetic bit holder retains fasteners better than any other magnetic bit holder I have ever tried before. Part of this is thanks to the magnetic sleeve design, but the high precision bits tips’ exceptional fastener engagement also come into play.
The bit holder did a great job of holding longer narrow-head fasteners in place…
and smaller screws with larger heads as well.
The bit case is a little large, but much smaller than some of the hard-shell bit cases in my tool bag. What I like about the case is how it pops up for easier bit selection, and folds flat for transport or storage. When popped open, there are two compartments that can be used to temporarily hold loose bits or small fasteners.
It holds up to (10) 1-inch insert bits, and while designed for the Ultra Magnetic bit holder, it holds some other 1/4″ hex bit holders just fine.
Makita is very excited about their new Impact Gold screwdriver bits and accessories, and Home Depot seems very excited to carry and promote them. After testing and using some of the new Impact Gold power tool accessories, including a set of impact sockets I purchased a month ago, I can certainly see why.
Compared to “standard” impact screwdriver bits, Makita Impact Gold bits fit fasteners better and last longer. The differences are more noticeable with Phillips bits than Torx and Robertson (square) ones, but the advantages are clear.
These are the best impact-rated screwdriver bits I have used, and the Impact Gold Ultra Magnetic and standard bit holders are the best impact-rated bit holders I have ever used as well. To clarify, when I say best, I mean best fitting, most user-friendly, and most durable (from what I can tell).
I don’t drive so many fasteners that I need to buy bulk bit packs, but I have been frustrated by broken and quickly-worn insert bits in the past. Yesteryear’s bits were not designed to endure the power today’s high torque impact drivers can deliver. These bits were.
My mind is not yet made up about the gold coating, but it at least makes the bits a little easier to clean. I certainly don’t mind the coating, but have not yet determined whether the finish is more functional or decorative.
Ultimately, I am quite impressed with the performance of Makita’s Impact Gold bits and accessories. Comparing them to premium impact bits (such as Wiha Terminator bits) is a little trickier and will require a lot more time and real-world testing, but the advantages over run-of-the-mill bits are clear and substantial.
The Impact Gold lineup also includes:
- Non-magnetic nutsetters
- a 3/8″ inch socket set
- 3/8″ and 1/2″ tilt socket adapters (wobble-style)
- Double-ended 2″ power bits (coming soon)
I would like to see Makita come out with some single-end Impact Gold power bits, but I suppose double-ended bits offer much greater bang for the buck.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.