Buying a makita screwdriver set or a makita screwdriver bit set can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top makita tools in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
Makita Screwdriver DFR550Z Review
The Makita Screwdriver DFR550Z is the tool of choice if you are driving fixings into timber all day long!
Only Makita can make screwdrivers that are not only efficient but also look extremely amazing. It’s easy to see why it’s a leading brand in the production of such tools. Due to Makita’s undeniable skill in this area, we have decided to review one of its impressive screwdrivers, the Makita DFR550Z.
Features of the Makita Screwdriver set
The Makita DFR550Z is an auto-feed screwdriver. Like other auto-feed screwdrivers from Makita, it comes with a host of amazing features that make it stand out from the rest in the market. Here are its most outstanding features.
- Silent clutch
- Powerful motor
- Anti-tilt device
- Screw guide
- Carbon brushes
- Dustproof construction
- Forward/reverse action
- Ergonomic shape
- Adjustable stopper base
- Lock-on button
To learn more about this and other Makita auto-feed screwdrivers, you can watch the video below.
The Makita DFR550Z has several strong points. First of all, it is small, compact and weighs only 2.1kilograms. This makes it easy to carry it around with you wherever you go. Being cordless, this Makita screwdriver also eliminates any inconvenience that would be caused by tangling of extension cables.
With this screwdriver, you also don’t have to worry about issues like availability of power at the worksite. Additionally, you will be happy to learn that this Makita screwdriver is compatible with Lithium-ion batteries.
These batteries are associated with longer run times and smart charging technology. They are also lighter than other batteries in the market. Another huge selling point of the Makita DFR550Z is that it has an aluminium casing which is dust proof. This helps ensure smooth sliding action.
The silent clutch of this Makita screwdriver is also something you can’t ignore. It ensures not only quiet operation but also reduced wear and tear of the clutch. This ultimately contributes to the durability of this tool.
It’s also worth noting that this tool comes with a screw guide which holds the screw strips in place and keeps them from tangling. This screw is easily foldable allowing for easier storage and transportation.
Another strong point of the Makita DFR550Z is its lock-on button that allows you to use the tool continuously without having to engage the trigger all the time. This tool also comes with a conveniently placed forward/reverse button that makes switching between the two modes quite easy.
Additionally, there is an adjustable stopper base inside the casing of this Makita screwdriver. This stopper base helps you choose between 7 settings based on different screw lengths of 25 to 55mm. It also provides an anti-tilt device that keeps these screws from swaying.
We also can’t fail to mention the ergonomic shape and rubber grip of the Makita DFR550Z which make it comfortable to use. This reduces the chances of fatigue during long periods of use. Finally, this Makita screwdriver comes with a powerful 4-pole motor and carbon brushes.
These carbon brushes are easily accessible from the exterior of the screwdriver. This makes maintenance really easy.
The major concern associated with this Makita screwdriver is that we found it does tend to jam. The time saved with using an auto feed screwdriver such as the Makita DFR550Z easily outweighs the time spent clearing jams. But it is certainly a nuisence, just a bit of a case of the nature of the beast. Additionally, this tool comes with neither a battery nor a charger. You will have to buy these accessories separately.
Verdict of the Makita Screwdriver DFR550Z
Obviously, the pros of this machine greatly outweigh its cons. This Makita screwdriver is definitely a good bang for your buck. It manages to assemble all the features you would want in a screwdriver into a smaller and more compact size.
Accessories compatible with the Makita DFR550Z
The battery pack that is compatible with this tool is the battery listed above, the BL1840 4Ah Li-ION battery. This battery takes only 36 minutes to charge and employs the use of foam cell technology.
A suitable charger for this Makita screwdriver is the Makita 18RC Fast Battery Charger. This charger has a cooling fan and charges your battery in as short as 20 minutes. It also allows you to charge your battery before it’s completely empty.
It goes without saying that your Makita screwdriver’s bits will wear out with time. The perfect replacements for your worn out bits are these Makita Auto-feed Screwdriver Bits. As their name suggests, they are compatible with all Makita Auto-feed screwdrivers
The bottom line
In conclusion, the Makita DFR550Z is a pretty good investment. It comes with features that make it accurate, durable and highly functional. It’s no wonder that it excels in the execution of repetitive heavy duty tasks.
The next time you want to pursue an exciting project, be sure to grab yourself this Makita screwdriver.
If you like the look of the Makita Screwdriver but don’t already have a range of Makita tools in your tool collection, then it can work out cheaper buying the following. This set comes with the Makita DFR550Z screwdriver, a 3 Ah battery, charger and a tool bag. Well worth a look in our opinion.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.