Finding the best Makita subcompact kit can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a makita sub compact review highlighting the makita brushless subcompact kit and makita subcompact hammer drill kit.
makita subcompact hammer drill kit
Makita Subcompact Review – Ergonomics
If you were blindfolded and you picked up these tools, you would assume they were 12V tools, they are that small and lightweight. The tools are designed with an incredible feel to them. I know some people say who cares about the feel, but if you are using tools all day, you understand how important the right tool can be.
The driver is only 2.8 lbs while the impact is only 2.6 lbs. Amazing for an 18V system.
makita sub compact vs regular
Both tools are designed with a brushless motor which means more power and a longer life. The drill offers 2 speeds (0-500 & 0-1,700 RPM) and the impact offers (0-1,300/0-3,000 RPM). A ton of speed and power for most daily applications.
One cool feature to the impact is the modes located at the base of the tool. There is an A-Mode (assist Mode). When on this setting the tool controls itself to help eliminate cam out and cross threading by driving at low speeds.
Makita – Power
Both the drill and impact offer a ton of power for their size. Now I am not saying you’re going to be mixing concrete with the driver, but when you look at the size of these tools, you will be impressed by their output. The drill offers 350 in.lbs. torque and the impact offers 1,240 in.lbs. of torque. The impact has an IPM rating of 0-1,600/0-3,900 IPM which means you can use this for a wide range of fasteners.
Makita – Performance
If you were to pick up these tools, I promise you that your first thoughts would be they feel good and they are cool, but won’t perform much work. This is where you’re wrong. The 2Ah batteries provide ample run time and won’t die out even when fastening 3″ screws. These tools are awesome for hanging cabinets and a ton of other applications.
Makita Subcompact Review – Price
If Makita wanted to, I think they could have charged a premium and gotten away with it. I just think they are that nice. However, they chose to offer an incredible value for these. At The Home Depot, you can pick this kit up for about $240 which includes the drill, impact, two 2Ah batteries, a charger and a bag. Not a bad deal to jump into a huge platform with two nice tools to start out with.
Makita Subcompact Review – Final Thoughts
While all manufacturers have a compact drill on the market, I can’t find one that competes with the Makita. These tools are compact, lightweight and offer plenty of power. I tried hard to find something I don’t like about them, but even with a low price tag, it’s hard to beat. If I had to be picky, it would be the bag. I still like cases for my tools. If you are looking for a perfect drill and driver that won’t break the bank and are the top of the top, the Makita combo kit should be your choice.
Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit Review
The Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit is making us rethink the natural order of things when it comes to cordless power tools. Until now, there has always been a clear delineation between 18-volt and 12-volt tools. 18-volt tools have the most power and were built for heavy-duty applications while 12-volt tools are lightweight, compact, and can handle roughly 80 percent of your daily tasks.
12-volt tools became popular thanks to their lightweight and compact characteristics and many Pros are more than happy to buy into a new battery platform in order to relieve the fatigue that accompanies the heavier class. Makita is now challenging all of that by essentially making a line with 12-volt characteristics on their 18-volt platform. The line between genius and madness is often very thin, so when it comes to the Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit, which is it?SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
Features Worth Talking About
The Featherweight Division
Obviously, the story here is the size and weight of each of the tools in the Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit. And a big story it is. The drill weighs in at just 2.04 pounds bare and 2.88 pounds with the compact battery installed. The impact driver is even lighter at 1.82 pounds bare and 2.66 pounds.
Dimensions also come into play with the drill being 6-5/16 inches long and 8-7/8 inches tall with the compact battery. The driver is understandably more compact at 5-1/4 inches long and 8-1/2 inches tall with the compact battery installed.
The Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit features brushless motors that help increase the runtime of the 18V LXT batteries along with the life of the tools.
The Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Brushless Drill is fairly basic, featuring a two speed motor that can deliver up to 350 pounds of torque at 1700 RPM. Like you’d expect to find on any Pro level drill, there are adjustable clutch settings on the collar and a dedicated drilling mode.
The Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Brushless Impact Driver also features a two speed motor. It comes in packing 1240 inch pounds of torque, a no-load speed up to 3000 RPM, and up to 3900 IPM impact rate. Also mostly basic in its feature set, Makita included a feature that I’m hoping to find on their future impact drivers. The Assist Mode starts driving a screw in low speed and as the tool senses the increase in friction, it kicks into high speed to drive the screw.
At the risk of overstating it, the lightweight and compact nature of the Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit clearly enhances the ergonomics over other tools in the 18-volt class. Makita’s ergonomic handle design is also in play on both tools and makes for perhaps the best ergonomics of any 18-volt drill and impact driver.
I tested the Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit in many of the same materials we typically test cordless drills and impact drivers. I also had a fence building project to work on that I took these to for some additional work.SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
Starting with some work in stacked plywood, the Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Brushless Drill was able to handle drilling 1/4-inch holes with a standard twist bit with no issues whatsoever. 1/2-inch spade bits were also no issue, so I moved on to a 3/4-inch spade bit where a lot of our 12-volt cordless drills had trouble. Even though 350 inch-pounds of torque sounds relatively low, it had no trouble whatsoever with that 3/4-inch spade bit. Where I finally reached its capacity was using a Bosch Daredevil 1-inch threaded tip spade bit.
Screwdriving was a breeze for the brushless drill and it was easy to dial in a clutch setting for a consistent depth of drive.
The Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Brushless Impact Driver quickly became my best friend on screwdriving tasks. Easily driving a wide variety of screws, when it came to applications where I needed control, the Assist Mode really showed off its value. Starting off slow gave each screw the ability to dig in without being flung around at a high speed. This was particularly helpful when driving Starborn Cap-Tor xd deck screws into composite decking.
Like we’ve come to expect from Makita, the ergonomics under load were maintained well and little vibration was delivered to my hands.
The Bottom Line
The Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Combo Kit is the perfect – and right now, only – solution for the Pro who insists on carrying both heavy-duty and truly compact cordless tools every day without having to buy into a separate battery platform. The lightweight and compact design are certainly there along with performance that exceeds most 12-volt tools.
So does this spell the end for the 12-volt tool class?
I don’t think so. There are several 12-volt tool lines available that deliver high enough performance to be legitimate on the job site for several trades. Even though designing tools like these to run on 18 volts or 12 volts might not make much of a price difference, 12-volt batteries will always be less expensive. Still, the 12-volt class will remain relevant for jobs and trades that don’t require moving up to a heavy-duty class.
I can easily recommend this Sub-Compact class from Makita to any Pro, whether you are supplementing heavy-duty cordless tools or just need a dedicated lightweight, compact drill and impact driver. I am personally excited about these tools because they allow me to stay on Makita’s 18V LXT battery and still get the benefits of the 12-volt class. I’m hoping that Makita has started a revolution and other manufacturers will follow suit with so many Pros currently carrying both 18-volt and 12-volt tools to get the benefits of what both have to offer.
Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Brushless Drill Specifications
- Model: XFD11ZB
- Power Source: Makita 18V battery pack
- Capacity (steel): 1/2″
- Capacity (wood): 1-7/16″
- No Load Speed: 0 – 500 / 0 – 1,700 RPM
- Maximum Torque: 350 in.lbs./40N•m
- Overall Length: 6-3/8″
- Overall Height: 8-7/8″ with compact battery
- Weight: 2.04 pounds (bare), 2.88 pounds (with compact battery)
- Warranty: 3 years
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B01LWRY1GX’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’protoorev-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1989a681-f921-4b92-ae6e-a285dcc58d53′] (bare tool)
Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Brushless Impact Driver Specifications
- Model: Makita XDT15ZB
- Power Source: Makita 18V battery pack
- Hex Shank: 1/4″
- No Load Speed: 0 – 1,300 / 0 – 3,000 RPM
- Impact Rate: 0 – 1,600 / 0 – 3,900 IPM
- Maximum Torque: 1,240 in.lbs./140N•m
- Overall Length: 5-5/16″
- Overall Height: 8-1/2″ with compact battery
- Weight: 21.82 pounds (bare), 2.66 pounds (with compact battery)
- Warranty: 3 years
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B01LX3JVQL’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’protoorev-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0acaab9b-eb3f-4279-bca2-e4923471ddc9′]
Makita 18V LXT Sub-Compact Kit Specifications
- Model: Makita CX200RB
- Warranty: 3 years
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B01M1BYJAG’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’protoorev-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’11c58c44-02f8-4841-831c-9fd063288759′]
- Included in Kit: impact driver, drill-driver, (2) Compact 2.0 amp hour, charger, soft case, manuals
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.