We thought we had a pretty good handle on what to expect from the 2019 edition of Milwaukee’s New Product Symposium. As usual, they had some surprises up their sleeves. Check out our picks for the best new Milwaukee tool set and milwaukee fuel tool set from NPS19 and let us know what you’re itching to get your hands on most!
Milwaukee Tool Set
Best New Milwaukee tool set
#10 Milwaukee Stud Tape Measure: Gen 2
The Milwaukee Stud tape measure is getting some upgrades to look forward to. The biggest is the ability to reach out to a full 14′ of standout! It also gets a more compact housing and expands to 35′ models for those of you that are waiting for a longer version.SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
There are new Wide Blade tape measures coming as well. These also have a 14′ standout that’s a bit straighter than the Stud. The Wide Blade doesn’t have the heavier Exo360 coating that the Stud does, giving it a noticeably straighter standout. Wide Blade models range 16’–40′ and have magnetic hook options.
Both of these along with several new compact tapes have a new, more durable hook design to keep them accurate in spite of jobsite drops and falls.
Available: August 2019
Price: TBA, but roughly in line with current Milwaukee tape measure pricingShop Acme Tools
#9 Milwaukee Packout Mounting Plate
Milwaukee teased the Packout Mounting Plates last year and they’re just about ready for launch. Each mounting hole has metal reinforcement molded in and the metal side reinforcements work great for strapping them down.
They technically have a 50-lb load rating to allow for the new Packout Crate’s horizontal mounting, but Tom demonstrates they’re capable of holding much more as NPS19 turned into a pull-up contest.
Whether you’ve been waiting to transform your shop or your trailer, get ready to store Packout more conveniently!
Available: August 2019
Price: $29 eachShop Related Products
SKIL 5280-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw with Sin…$92.78 (1739)
Milwaukee Electric Tools MLW2553-20 M12 Fuel 1/4″…$89.89
DEWALT Router, Fixed Base, Variable Speed, 1-1/4-HP…$139.00 (1001)
#8 Milwaukee M12 Digital Torque Wrench
No one saw a digital torque wrench coming, particularly on the M12 platform. The Milwaukee M12 Digital Torque wrench combines a cordless ratchet with a digital torque wrench. Just set your target torque and pull the trigger. The ratchet gets you close and then you manually set the last bit of torque.
The tool gives you audio, visual, and vibration feedback as you approach your target and changes from green to red if you exceed it.
The 3/8″ model covers 10–100 ft-lbs and the 1/2″ model hits 10–150 ft-lbs. Best of all, you can save your readings to One-Key and hand an inspector or super a report of every correctly torqued fastener on the job.
Available: November 2019
Price: $599 bare, $749 kitShop Acme Tools
#7 Milwaukee M12 Fuel Surge Hydraulic Driver
We couldn’t make a list of the best new Milwaukee tools at NPS19 without the new M12 Fuel Surge. Not only is it the same size as the M12 Fuel impact driver, but it also has the same 450 in-lbs of torque we find on the M18 Fuel Surge!
Like its big brother, it drives much more quietly than an impact driver, making this version a fantastic option for working in tight spaces and occupied buildings. A self-tapping screw mode makes quick work of metal fastening without breaking fastener heads off left and right.
Available: August 2019
Price: $149 bare, $199 with a 2.0 Ah battery and chargerShop Acme Tools
#6 Milwaukee M18 Radio+Charger
Packout now has a radio and it sounds phenomenal! 2 speakers cover the mids and highs on each corner (8 total) while 2 subwoofers (one active, one passive) bring in the lows. Its 360º sound doesn’t distort at high volume and it’s IP54 rated to deal with jobsite conditions.
You get AM, FM, Bluetooth 4.2, and Aux-in connections to push sound powered by AC or any M18 battery. The best part is that it charges M18 batteries and fits the 12 Ah High Output pack. Sorry, there’s no M12 compatibility on this one.
Available: 4th quarter of 2019
Price: $299 bareShop Acme Tools
#5 Milwaukee M18 Fuel 12″ Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Milwaukee brings their cordless saw miter game to the big leagues with the M18 Fuel 12″ Miter Saw. Like you expect from any flagship miter, it’s a dual bevel, sliding design. But unlike most corded models, it’s easier to haul around, weighing just 48 pounds with its 12.0 Ah battery pack!
Milwaukee goes for the popular shadow cutline indicator and adds tracking and lockout with One-Key integration. It has 2 x 14 cross-cutting capacity to go along with 6-3/4″ nested crown capacity.
Available: November 2019
Price: $699 bare, $849 with a 12.0 Ah battery and chargerShop Acme Tools
#4 Milwaukee M18 Fuel 7-1/4″ Rear Handle Circular Saw
As an east coast guy, I’m perfectly content with the latest M18 Fuel circular saw and its sidewinder styling. But for those of you on the west coast that prefer a worm drive, the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Rear Handle Circular Saw is heading your way.SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
The 7-1/4″ blade spins up to 5800 RPM and cuts as deep as 2-1/2″ (1-7/8″ at 45º). Technically, its a sidewinder gear system, so there’s no oil to worry about checking. It has a rafter hook, bevels up to 53º, brakes quickly, and has an LED that corded worm drives don’t have.
Available: July 2019
Price: $269 bare, $449 with a 12.0 Ah battery and chargerShop Acme Tools
#3 Milwaukee M18 Fuel 9″ Cut-Off Saw
Only Milwaukee looks at concrete cut-off saws and says, “yeah, we can do that on an 18V battery.” Using the 12 Ah High Output battery as its main power source, the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 9″ Cut-Off Saw cuts up to 3.4″ deep and comes with both diamond and abrasive wheels.
It has the power to cut through reinforced concrete while weighing up to 50% less than a gas saw. Since there’s no gas, there are no fumes and you can cut to your heart’s content on indoor projects.
An onboard water connection pairs beautifully with the Switch Tank Water Supply, making a completely cordless wet-cutting solution. There’s no vac attachment for dry cutting, though.
Last, but not least, One-Key is onboard to help you track and lockout the tool.
Available: October 2019
Price: $599 bare, $899 with two 12.0 Ah batteries and chargerShop Acme Tools
#2 Milwaukee M18 Fuel Compact Router
The Milwaukee M18 Fuel Compact Router was one of the best new Milwaukee tools at NPS19 that everyone had to get their hands on. It delivers up to 31,000 RPM and has an accurate adjustment system that’s sure to please even finicky woodworkers.
The compact router matches corded performance with 1-1/4 HP and can take that power to run up to 250′ of 3/8″ roundover in red oak on one charge with a 5.0 Ah battery.
Price: $179 bare
Offset and plunge bases are coming in January 2020 at $99 each.Shop Acme Tools
#1 Milwaukee M18 Fuel Framing Nailer
The Milwaukee M18 Fuel Framing Nailer was another one of the most highly-anticipated tools of the event. The big deal is that there’s no firing delay, you have a choice of 30º or 21º, and it can sink 3″ nails in LVL—even when you’re toenailing. There’s also an optional extended magazine that fits two strips of nails!
Available: Fall 2019
Price: $349 bare, $449 with a 5.0 Ah battery and charger
MILWAUKEE M18 BRUSHLESS VS M18 FUEL
We’ve been fighting for a few years now to tell everyone there is NO difference between Brushless and FUEL but that’s all about to change. Starting in February (2015) Milwaukee will add 3 new “M18 Compact Brushless” tools to the lineup which will have much less power than their M18 FUEL Brushless Tools. FUEL is still Brushless but means the top of the line Brushless. It was only about a year ago Milwaukee updated their compact tools with the brushed motors, drill/driver 2606, hammer drill 2607 and impact 2650. The new Milwaukee M18 “Compact Brushless” have almost identical torque ratings to brushed, with very similar size and just a bit higher price. The new units are M18 brushless drill/driver 2701-22CT ($199), M18 brushless hammer drill 2702-22CT ($229) and M18 brushless impact 2750-22CT ($199).
The very interesting thing here is that these Milwaukee brushless tools will not carry the Milwaukee “FUEL” name as their other M18 and M12 brushless currently does. The FUEL will continue to be reserved for the high performance tools with the “POWERSTATE” brushless motor, as more of their cordless tools move to brushless it would appear they want to differentiate the various motor technology. Brushless in general seemed to have hit volumes where price is no longer a constraint and before long we would predict all the Milwaukee brushed motors M18 or M12 will get converted over to the longer tool life, better run-time brushless technology.
Interesting to see if this causes any confusion as we’ve heard guys on several occasions calling the Dewalt brushless the “Dewalt FUEL”. With Milwaukee having done such a good job making brushless mean the same as FUEL will this cause confusion? Or was this a very cleaver long-play marketing plan in action from the red team, time will tell. Look for these new Milwaukee Tools in early February and for more information please see the full Milwaukee press release below.
MILWAUKEE, WI – Milwaukee Tool continues to position themselves as the industry leader in drilling and fastening solutions with the launch of three new M18™ Compact Brushless products that deliver over 50% longer run-time than their brushed counterparts. The most compact drilling solutions on the market, Milwaukee’s new offering will cater to users that desire the run-time advantages that a brushless motor provides, and prefer the size advantages of more compact tools.
“Milwaukee introduced their award-winning M18 FUEL™ line in 2012, and not only redefined industry standards in performance, durability, and run-time, but mainstreamed the use of brushless motors in power tools,” said Cole Conrad, Product Manager for Milwaukee Tool. “As the power tool industry evolves and expectations increase, users continue to demand drilling & fastening solutions that provide longer run-time than brushed motors can deliver. Milwaukee’s new offering will utilize an efficient brushless motor to meet the run-time and size needs of users that need professional power, but do not need the extreme performance that the M18 FUEL™ line delivers.”
The new models will include the M18™ 1/2” Compact Brushless Drill/Driver (2701), M18™ 1/2” Compact Brushless Hammer Drill/Driver (2702) and M18™ 1/4” Hex Brushless Impact Driver (2750). Each the most compact in their respective classes, the new tools feature improved ergonomics for greater accessibility into tight work areas, as well as superior balance and control. With best-in-class power to weight ratios and brushless motors that are optimized for efficiency, users are able to work 50% longer on one battery charge.
The new tools are compatible with the entire M18™ System, now offering more than 70 cordless Lithium-Ion products. Milwaukee® is committed to the ongoing development of this platform and will continue to provide innovative solutions that offer industry leading reliability, performance and ergonomics.
M18™ 1/2” Compact Brushless Drill/Driver (2701-22CT)
500 in-lbs of Peak Torque
2-Speed Gear Box (0-450/0-1,800 RPM)
1/2” All-Metal Ratcheting Chuck
3.7 lbs w/ battery
Includes M18™ 1/2” Brushless Drill/Driver, (2) RED LITHIUM™ Batteries, Charger & Carrying Case
*Also available in Bare Tool (2701-20)
M18™ 1/2” Compact Brushless Hammer Drill/Driver (2702-22CT)
500 in-lbs of Peak Torque
2-Speed Gear Box (0-450/0-1,800 RPM)
1/2” All-Metal Ratcheting Chuck
3.9 lbs w/ battery
Includes M18™ 1/2” Brushless Hammer Drill/Driver, (2) RED LITHIUM™ Batteries, Charger & Carrying Case
*Also available as bare tool (2702-20)
M18™ 1/4” Hex Compact Brushless Impact Driver (2750-22CT)
1,500 in-lbs of Torque
1/4” Hex Quick Change
3.1 lbs w/ compact battery
Includes M18™ 1/4” Hex Brushless Impact Driver
*Also available as a bare tool (2750-20)
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.