Here is the most comprehensive, extensive and illustrated auto mechanic tools, mobile mechanic tool set up and Mobile mechanic tool set list ever in the Internet. You will find three different groups of tools, from Basic tools, the ones you need to start doing any jobs in your car, passing by Intermediate tools, more specific sets of tools that will allow you to jump into more complex repairs, to Advanced tools, the ones the Professionals use for very specific cases and situations.
For the DIY home mechanic, car enthusiast or aspiring professional mechanic, what’s in this list is everything you will ever need to do 99.9% of jobs in any car or truck.
mobile mechanic tool set up
mobile Mechanic Tool Sets
So, without further ado, here is our list of what we think are the top eight auto mechanic tools sets on the market.
1. Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set
As most established auto mechanics know, Crescent is a solid name in the mechanic tools industry with a reputation for quality products that do their jobs well.
The CTK170CMP2 is an update of the CTK170CMP, which has been one of the top sellers in the auto-mechanic tools industry for years, and includes improved screwdrivers and tools with both SAE and Metric measurements. As a result, this tool set will handle any job you throw at it.
The set weighs 20 lbs and comes with a case for easy transportation and to keep all the pieces organised and in their place.
2. DEWALT DWMT81534 205Pc Mechanics Tool Set
Another popular brand, DEWALT sell some of the best mechanic tool sets on the market today and are frequently found in auto-repair centers up and down the country. The DWMT81534 set includes a 72-teeth ratchet that ensures an arc swing of 5 degrees, making it incredibly easy to fit into tight spaces and anti-slip screwdrivers incorporate DEWALT’s patented DirectTorque Technology ensuring high torque and ease of use.
This set comes in a bit heavier than the Crescent above at 26.6 lbs mainly because the 205 pieces of the set include wrenches, sockets, specialty bits, and accessories, enabling you to tackle any job you throw at it.
3. WorkPro W009044A Heavy-Duty Tool Set
For many, WorkPro isn’t a familiar name in the auto-mechanic tool industry but their Heavy-Duty W009044A tool set certainly lives up to its name. This mammoth set comes with 408 different tools and accessories encased within a heavy-duty 3-drawer tool box.
You name it and this kits got it, from combination wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, adjustable wrenches, hex keys, utility knives, and even a tape measure. Whilst all this might seem like overkill for the amateur mechanics out there, this is definitely a set professionals will get a lot out of.
4. Craftsman 230-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Craftsman is another popular mechanic tool set brand that can be found in many auto-repair shops and amateur garages all over the world and it’s easy to see why. Craftsmen pride themselves on the quality of the tools they make and this alloy steel set with silver finish continues that trend.
The 230 tools included in the set include 116 sockets with both SAE and metric measurements and all drives have quick release ratchets.
Weight wise the set is light at about 20.3 lbs and a pair of extension bars and universal joints are included in the price.
5. Dekopro 168-Piece Auto Repair Tools
Dekopro will be another unfamiliar name to many but their 168-piece set is a great beginner’s toolset and includes everything a budding mechanic needs at a good price. This inexpensive set includes hex key wrenches, 1/4-inch, and 3/8-inch drive sockets, slotted and Phillips screwdrivers, pliers, a 7-inch adjustable wrench, insulating tape, a level, socket adapter, and 6.5-inch wire stripper/crimper.
All tools are descent quality for the price and do their jobs well. What more could you ask for?
6. Stanley STMT71653 145-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Finally, we come to the heavy-hitter of auto-mechanic tools, Stanley. There’s not much new that can be said about Stanley. They’ve been top dog in the tools trade for decades and when you look at their tools it’s easy to see why. They may be a little more expensive than some of the other offerings on display here, especially when you compare the number of tools included, but the extra cost comes with incomparable build quality and tools that ooze quality. Every one of the 145 pieces in this set are made with high quality steel forged using chrome vanadium tools, and covered in high-quality chrome to prevent corrosion.
The whole set weighs only 12 lbs and is made with ease of use and longevity in mind.
7. Craftsman 165 pc Mechanics Tool Set
The second Craftsman tool set on our list is one that offers good functionality at a good price. As with the Deckapro set above this is more suited to amateurs and beginners but with a variety of tools that can accomplish a broad array of tasks, this set can handle most tasks you throw at it.
The set weighs in at 19.65 pounds making it a good portable solution for the more mobile mechanic.
8. DEWALT DWMT75049 Mechanics Tools Set
We finish the list with a true heavy-weight in the auto-repair tools industry, and we mean that literally. The DWMT75049 weighs 39.2 lbs and includes every possible auto-repair tool you could wish for. From extensions, bits, sockets, u-joints, and adapters, you will find everything you could ever need in this set.
On top of this, the set is by far the best-quality set we have reviewed for this article. If you are serious about your tools, this is the set for you.
So, there you have it. The top 8 auto-repair kits available on the market today. Whether you are a seasoned mechanic or a beginner, you will find a tool set above that will serve your needs.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.