In this article, we will review the newborn baby clothes checklist, newborn baby clothes list, baby clothes list for newborn, newborn baby winter clothes list, and list of newborn baby clothes needed. Average newborn clothes fit babies weighing 5 – 7lbs. Many babies will outgrow newborn clothing in the first few weeks. Keep it simple and buy fuss-free basics like this basic short-sleeve bodysuit from PaigeLauren.
You will be wearing your baby for a month or two – that is the only way you will know what clothes she should wear and what sizes will fit her. Also remember that newborn baby grows really fast, so there is no need to buy too many onesies and socks right away. Look at my list of necessary newborn baby clothes and get inspired with new ideas!
Newborn babies will wear multiple outfits a day because of messy blow outs and spit ups. The number of pieces you really need depends on how many loads of laundry you want to do a day. Here’s a basic checklist:
Newborn Baby Clothes List
newborn baby clothes checklist
Bodysuits (4 to 6)
One-pieces (4 to 6)
T-shirts (4 to 6)
Long pants (2 to 4 pairs)
Sleep Sacks (1 to 2)
Caps (1 to 2)
Socks or booties (4 to 6 pairs)
Keep clicking through these slides for more intel on what to get, and what to skip.
Tip: Wash a few newborn basics before baby’s arrival. Keep the tags and receipts for extra unworn items so you can return them later.
Basic White Bodysuits
A basic white bodysuit is a wardrobe staple from birth to the toddler years. In colder months, wear it as a layering piece. Come summer it’s the perfect basic top to pair with leggings and shorts.
100% cotton and designed with an envelope neck to fit easily over baby’s head. Available in long, short and sleeveless.
Carter’s multi-pack bodysuits, $14-16, carters.com.
Tip: Start off with a single multi-pack in newborn sizing. Stock up on 0-3 months in short and long sleeves. You can never have enough!
Newborn one pieces are great for sleep and daywear. Available in short and long sleeves with snaps or with a zipper.
Your first days at home you might not mind snapping 12 snaps while dressing baby. A week later you’ll be experiencing full on sleep deprivation—you’ll never be more thankful for the invention of the zipper. Buy a few of each style.
Baby Gap’s “First Favorites” collection features cuddly one pieces in cute trendy prints.
Baby Gap, one pieces from $24-$40, gap.com.
Tip: Baby Gap’s newborn sizing goes up to 7lbs. We found their one-pieces perfect for bringing baby home from the hospital with a little wiggle room for larger newborn babies.
Side snaps are perfect for newborns, designed to put on like a jacket, making them easy to get on and off. The open bottom doesn’t fit as snugly as a bodysuit and will give you added piece of mind of not bumping the umbilical cord.
Two pack short-sleeve tees are part of Giggle’s organic “Better Basics” line for newborns up to 3 months. The collection includes organic cotton bodysuits, tees, pants and gowns.
Giggle, Better Basics Short-Sleeve Tees (2-pack), $28, giggle.com.
Tip: The “Better Basics” line in our experience runs a little larger and a good pick for larger newborns. The organic cotton is soft and washes well too.
Some parents will advise you to never buy pants with feet because baby will outgrow them too quickly. Others will say footed pants are essential because socks never stay on.
Polarn O. Pyret offers the best of both worlds: Pants with leg cuffs. Coordinating bodysuits are also available with built-in hand cuffs too.
Polarn O. Pyret, Newborn Eco Pull On Pants, $15, polarnopyretusa.com.
Tip: Check out Polarn O. Pyret’s basic pull on pants with a wide waistband that can be folded down for a perfect fit.
A sleeping gown features an open banded button that makes middle-of-the-night diaper changes faster and easier. Hand cuffs can be folded over to protect baby from scratching his or her face.
L’ovedbaby 100% cotton gown, available in 7 colors, $19, lovedbaby.com.
Tip: L’ovedbaby’s newborn sizing is up to 7lbs but we found the pieces to run a bit on the smaller, slimmer size.
Velcro Swaddle Sleep Sack
Wrapping your baby with her arms tucked in tightly at her sides often has a soothing effect on fussy newborns. But getting the technique down with a blanket can be tricky for new parents.
Halo’s SleepSack® Swaddle eliminates the guesswork. The cozy sleep sack features two fabric panels that easily secure with Velcro.
Halo’s 100% Cotton SleepSack® Swaddle, $29, halosleep.com.
Tip: A Velcro-style sleep sack is the easiest way for new sleep-deprived parents to swaddle your baby.
A cap keeps baby cozy and limits excess body heat loss. Zutano’s newborn caps fit tight to baby’s head and come in colorful solids, stripes and prints.
Zutano newborn hat, $11 each, zutano.com.
Tip: We’re big fans of Zutano’s cozie newborn booties too! Made of soft fleece they snap around baby’s ankle and stay securely on.
Finding socks to fit newborn feet feels near to impossible. Booties that tie at the ankle are often your best bet for keeping little toes warm and covered.
New Zealand based Nature Baby designed an exclusive basics collection for J.Crew featuring organic cotton one-pieces, pants, shorts, hats and booties in colorful dots, stripes and solids.
baby clothes list for newborn
Best Clothing Websites For Kids
Online stores offer you a wide choice of designs and latest trends because they aggregate sellers from various parts of the country.
Here are some such pan-India websites that sell children’s clothes.
The website is beautifully designed and is exclusively for children.
- You can find your child’s outfits based on the occasion, such as casual wear, party wear or even dancewear.
- It offers you a variety of filters, such as age, delivery time, brands, colors, price, discount etc., to get the best find for your little one.
- The website curates clothes from newborns to kids.
- Besides clothes, you can shop for accessories, shoes, school supplies and essentials like baby bathers, seats, and toys.
[ Read: Minecraft Clothes For Kids ]
Babycouture is truly the couture center for babies, toddlers, and kids. Not to forget, you have loads of kids’ accessories to swoon over.
- The website has an array of western and ethnic apparels for both boys and girls.
- The boys and girls apparel sections have their exclusive designers.
- The girls’ apparel collection includes all imaginable outfits, right from tops, dresses, darlees to skirts, shorts, pants and swimming costumes.
- They also have specialized stores by popular designers like Tia’s Closet, Saka Designs, Swanky Me etc.
- For boys, it has more to offer than the regular tees, shorts, and jeans. Boys too have swimwear and in-house designer wear like 99 Kids, Careeno, Urb N Angels etc.
- It offers international shipping.
Romwe is the ideal fashion destination if you want to dress your kid like a fashionista.
- You can choose from a variety of filters such as neckline, waistline, pant length, sleeve length, material etc.
- The clothing style is punk and modern with varieties like stripes, graphics, florals, and prints.
- Apart from clothes for both boys and girls, there are awesome accessories such as scarves, sunglasses, hats, jewelry, bags, earmuffs and blankets.
- You can choose your kids’ apparels depending on the occasion or season.
- Shipping is available internationally.
[ Read: Backpacks For Kids To Buy ]
Myntra, which is one of the biggest e-commerce fashion stops in India, now has an exclusive kids’ range section.
- Although not a niche kids’ apparel website, Myntra offers an exclusive and vast range of children’s apparels.
- It sells both international and local brands for boys and girls.
- From essentials like T-shirts and dresses to bodysuits and sportswear, it has a huge collection of clothing.
- You can also shop for accessories.
5. Shoppers Stop
Being one of the oldest and most trusted fashion brands, Shoppers Stop has a lot for your kids.
- For your little man, you can buy topwear, bottomwear, night and inner wear and clothes from top international brands like Allen Solly, Flying Machine, Gini and Jony, et al.
- For baby girls, you have a fabulous collection of western and Indian wear to shop from.
- Shoppers Stop also has a separate section of toys, accessories and girls and boys shoes.
[ Read: Rocking Chairs For Kids ]
Jabong offers an exclusive collection for both girls and boys.
- It features clothes from top international brands like Peppermint, Bella Moda, Tommy Hilfiger etc.
- You can shop for everything from tops and tees, dresses, and skirts to party wear, sleepwear, casual polo tees and smart graphic tops.
- Jabong also has a variety of footwear collection for children.
7. Reliance Trends
Reliance Trends is one of the most vibrant online and offline fashion spots in the country.
- Its kids’ section is divided into individual sections for infants, juniors, boys, and girls.
- It has 18 in-house designer brands such as Inf Frendz, Point Cove, and Kidsville.
- Apart from apparel, the site also takes care of other fashion needs like cool accessories, shoes etc.
Amazon’s kids’ fashion collection will never disappoint you.
- It has the largest range of kids’ apparel.
- It also have a “pocket friendly fashion” segment, where clothing starts at Rs. 199
- Amazon kids fashion has a collection from more than 50 brands such as Naughty Ninos, WonderKids, My Lil Princess etc.
- Amazon’s delivery service is one of the best in the country and does the fastest delivery with even one-day delivery option for certain products.
[ Read: Nike Shoes For Kids ]
FabIndia is India’s biggest private platform for products that are made from traditional techniques and hand-based work. Its products are crafted, natural, and comfortable. The designs are mostly ethnic.
- The FabIndia kids range offers garments for both boys and girls.
- For girls you may choose from churidar sets, lehenga suits, salwar and patiala sets, saris, besides dresses and casuals.
- The boys’ section has long and short kurtas, pajamas and churidars besides casuals.
- You get to select from a bevy of collections such as the Chikankari, wool, hand block print, etc.
- Fabindia also offers accessories such as jewelry and footwear.
All the e-commerce portals offer discounts regularly and during major festivals and celebrations. Make the most of such offers so that you get the clothes your child likes for the prices you like.