Finding the best Panasonic drill set and panasonic power tools can be hard if you’re unaware of what features to look for especially that there are so many of them to find around. For this reason, we’ve put up a guide highlighting the top panasonic tool batteries in the category.
Our team has researched and reviewed these products to help you come up with a better decision.
Panasonic drill set
Panasonic EY7549X Cordless Impact and Drill Driver
Meet the Panasonic EY7549X Cordless drill/driver and impact driver/wrench. This new multi-application cordless tool is in the Tough IP series and carries an IP rating of 56 for dust and water resistance. It’s got a lot more torque than the Panasonic EY75A1LS2G 1/4″ impact driver.
What I really like about the Panasonic EY7549X (in addition to the protection it provides from my affinity for combining water and power tools) is that changing modes from standard drill to impact driver simply requires the flip of a switch.
In impact mode, the Panasonic EY7549X delivers up to 1327 inch pounds of torque and a speed of up to 2300 RPM. It boasts up to 3200 impacts per minute while the 21 stage clutch offers 6.2 – 38.9 inch pounds of torque.SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
In drill/driver mode, there is a high and low setting to choose from and 230 inch pounds of torque are delivered. RPM’s run from 60 – 380 (low setting) or 180 – 1200 (high setting).
The Panasonic EY7549X Multi Impact Driver/Drill Driver utilizes the company’s Guard ION system to electronically monitor and prevent over discharge and overheating during charging which we are told by Panasonic, results in longer battery life. As a budget minded consumer, I certainly appreciate any effort to extend the time between new battery purchases.
The total weight with the battery pack installed is 4.5 pounds. The Panasonic EY7549X will be sold as a body only and includes the removable 1/2 inch keyless chuck and 1/4 inch hex quick change adapter. MSRP is $283 and is scheduled to be available in November. Check Panasonic’s website for updates.
Panasonic EY7549X Features
- Combines the features of a two-speed variable speed drill, 1/4″ hex impact driver and impact ½” square drive impact wrench
- One-touch release for instant removal of the keyless chuck
- Flip a switch to change between impact and drill/driver modes
- 1,327 inch lbs of torque
- 3200 IPM
- Weight: 4.5lbs with the battery pack installed
- Cushioned grip to reduce fatigue
- Variable speed trigger
- Built-in LED light with auto shut-off timer
- IP56 rating for dust and water resistance
Review: Panasonic 28.8V SDS drill
Roger Bisby tests out Panasonic’s 28.8V SDS drill.
I am a fan of Panasonic drills. You don’t see a huge number around, maybe they are not as obvious as the brighter coloured brands; however when I do come across them the owners are generally quick to sing their praises. They used to make great play of their IP rating for dust and water. I chucked one in a bucket of water once and, after a faltering start it ran perfectly.
The 28.8 volt platform is, at present, reserved for the SDS hammers but, interestingly, the batteries that come with this tool are only 3 Ah. While other manufacturers are chasing ever longer run times with larger Ah, Panasonic’s approach is that you can save a bit of weight and bulk with a more powerful cell, and their figures suggest that these cells produce the same Wh as 5Ah 18 volt.
Don’t ask me how that works because I was never good at maths. The 3.3 Joules of hammer that are generated by the brushless motor will produce enough punch to cut out socket boxes and take on general lightweight breaking and chipping, even in concrete so plumbers and electricians will love it.
The other part of this drill, you will have noticed, is the dust extractor. This clips in and uses power from the drill to run the small motor. It is a highly effective unit and I especially like the brush seal around the vacuum collar. Other manufacturers use a rubber grommet, which wears quickly when drilling concrete and needs replacing fairly often. The brush seems destined to last a bit longer but it is early days and, since this drill has to go back in a few days, I don’t think I will be the one wearing it out.
If you are using the drill on rotary stop you will soon discover that there is no switch for hammer only function. Instead Panasonic uses a replacement chuck which misses out the flutes on the SDS that would normally turn the chisel bit. This has the advantage of preventing you putting in a chisel with the rotary action still engaged.
In use it is comfortable and not overly heavy at 3.9kg and I really like the vibration damping on the handle. SDS works best when the bit is greased so it slides nicely in the chuck and the operator is not hell bent on forcing the drill through the wall. They are called power tools for a reason and applying too much pressure negates the benefits that come with the vibration damping and also slows the job down.
Panasonic EY7450LR2S 18V Li-ion Drill Driver Kit Preview
We got a sneak preview of Panasonic EY7450LR2S 18V cordless drill driver at this year’s IBS Show in Vegas and were impressed by the company’s tough talk. Today, Panasonic announced the introduction of four of its new 18V Li-Ion cordless power tools. The new tools will be part of the company’s Tough IP line of professional-grade products. All feature IEC (International Electro Technical Commission) rated dust and water resistant technology and will be available this month. The four introduced models (which seem to be debuting overseas before they hit the US market) include a 1/2″ drill and driver kit, an impact wrench kit, an impact driver kit and a hammer drill/driver kit. All of the new 18V cordless models can be charged for use in 50 minutes with a full charge at 65 minutes, and feature Panasonic’s high capacity 3.3Ah Li-ion battery, LED work light, belt hook, and molded case.SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS
IEC Rated for Dust and Water Resistance
Each of Panasonic Tough IP Cordless Power Tools were awarded a rating of IP561 by the IEC (according to IEC60529) classifying them “Dust-protected” and “Protected against powerful water jets.”
The IEC testing protocol put the tools in an environment where they were exposed separately to both heavy dust and water jets. After each separate test, the tool is checked to ensure it still continues to function properly. The IP56 rating, is the highest rating possible without the tools being air & water tight. The Tough IP line of tools are designed to provide construction professionals across a broad range of disciplines with tools that can withstand the rigors of outdoor work under extreme conditions.
Panasonic EY7450LR2S Features
Panasonic’s new EY7450LR2S 18V Li-ion Drill & Drill Driver Kit delivers high power in a compact, lightweight body. The combination drill/driver delivers a maximum of 478 in. lbs. of full time torque in low speed. Low speed of 50 – 430 rpm is ideal for tough jobs requiring high torque like drilling holes and driving large diameter screws. A high speed of 160 – 1,650 rpm is great for drilling and fastening in metal. The Panasonic EY7450LR2S features an all metal gear system and a four-brush motor. The use of metal gears for switching between high and low speed operation reduces part wear and offers superior durability compared to plastic gears, decreasing the frequency of tool repair. The four brush, fan cooled ventilated motor is design to keep tool running with a smooth continuous operation while keeping the motor temperature low, resulting in a tool well suited for heavy duty use and repetitive tasks. We were a little surprised that the tool wasn’t brushless, given the design specs and the price.
The EY7450LR2S is equipped with an 18-stage clutch plus drill position. The clutch torque starts at 8.8 in. lbs. and goes to 61 in. lbs. in 3.0 in. lbs. increments over the 18 stages. The tool has a 1/2-inch, heavy-duty keyless chuck, variable speed control, 2-speed gear box, electric brake and quick-charging system. The Panasonic EY7450LR2S is also powered by a high-capacity 3.3Ah Cobalt Li-ion battery pack. This battery pack is designed to deliver high output with low heat generation resulting in longer lifetime and total performance. In addition the Panasonic EY7450LR2S utilizes Panasonic’s unique GuardION system. The GuardION system monitors the battery cells during battery charging and during tool use to prevent over discharging and overheating of the battery pack thus insuring long life. Panasonic is knee-deep in battery design and technology, so this should be something they are quite good at.
The EY7450LR2S offers a full complement of convenience features including an LED Work Light that illuminates the work area when in use. The EY7450LR2S is fairly compact in size (8-9/16″ long) and weighs just over 4-1/2 lbs. The ergonomic design delivers a comfortable contoured rubber grip which allows for less fatigue over extended use. The EY7450LR2S 18 Volt Cordless 1/2″ Drill & Driver Kit comes complete with two 3.3Ah Li-Ion batteries, charger and molded case. (MSRP $376)
Panasonic’s Battery Technology
Driving the revolutionary performance of Panasonic’s Tough IP Cordless Power Tools is Panasonic’s proprietary battery pack technology which features:
- Panasonic’s Solid Solution Technology (PSS) – PSS is a method of hardening and dissolving key battery component substances such as cobalt and nickel, which dramatically improves safety and reliability, while also achieving greater performance compared to manganese lithium batteries found in many other cordless tools.
- High-Capacity Cobalt Lithium Chemistry – This chemistry offers the benefits of lower internal resistance, reduced electrical loss, and lower temperatures in the battery cells to deliver a longer battery life. Panasonic Li-ion battery packs have twice the total lifetime performance versus existing Ni-Cd battery packs.
- GuardION System – Panasonic Tough IP Cordless Power Tools utilize Panasonic’s unique GuardION system which monitors each battery cell during battery charging and during tool use to prevent over discharging and overheating of the battery pack.
- Self Diagnostic Charger – Tough IP Tools also feature a self diagnostic universal battery charger which electronically monitors the condition of the battery pack during the charging process to deliver full charging with minimal heat generation. The charger will charge all Panasonic Li-ion battery chemistries ranging from 14.4V – 28.8v.
Based in Secaucus, NJ, Panasonic Corporation of North America markets a broad line of digital and other electronics products for consumer, business and industrial use. The company is the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation (NYSE: PC), and the hub of Panasonic’s U.S. branding, marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. Panasonic is pledged to practice prudent, sustainable use of the earth’s natural resources and protect our environment through the company’s Eco Ideas programs. Information about Panasonic and its products is available at www.panasonic.com.
Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. Dewalt is a renowned company in the industry and the Dewalt Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of Dewalt. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and make the carrying it around very easy and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather ailments.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store up weights till the capacity of 110 lbs easily
- Has a central locking mechanism which is built to facilitate its stacking on the ToughSystem stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the ToughSystem family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the 110 lbs might not exactly be portable enough for a regular day job toolbox
A toolbox that is straight out from the 80’s model, the JEGS 81400 Black is a 3 drawer professional toolbox. You can have this for your truck, for garage work, for your home usage, car repair, trucks or trailers. A highly reviewed and received product, it is a decent box to store away your utilities easily and for a long time.
- Has 3 drawers of convenience for storing spanners, screwdrivers, wrenches and other flat long tools
- The box is entirely made out of high quality 16 gauge steel
- The drawers can be extended out fully, removed and replaced
- Glide system of the drawers is ball-bearing based thus it promises smoother movement from a point to another
- Can be locked and carried too. Includes 2 keys as well in the package.
- The latches are strong, hold firmly and are rust-resistant in nature
- Has a black powder coat finish
- Dimensions of the box are about 20.5 inches in length, 12 inches in height and 9 inches in breadth
- Very portable thanks to the meagre 17 lbs weight
- The handles come with JEGS comfort grip handles which are great for lifting and carrying without causing hand bristles
- Though touted as non-rustic, the outer layer might end up losing the paint if not taken care of and end up causing some rust.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the Dewalt, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Moulded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling moulded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which is a fresh and promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Yet another 22 inches large tool storage box, the Stalwart 75-MJ5051B is a contractor-grade toolbox that comes with a really cool and comfortable and heavy-duty handle that makes the box a highly portable make and build.
- The heavy-duty build quality of the Stalwart box makes it a great professional-grade toolbox and not just another “for the attic” toolbox
- It comes with a highly unique cantilevered tray that increases your ability and the reach you need to access the tools stored and also you can easily see through what you need and when.
- Has a clear-top lid that makes it easier to access the top shelf without needing to open the whole box.
- The shelves on the top have about 15 removable divisions and 3 parts that are permanently dividable. This increases the stability and avoids any tipping of the box as a whole.
- The box has a whole dimension of 22 inches length, 10 inches height, 12 inches width exterior. For the interior, it has a total usable 18.75 inches length, 2.25 inches height (compartmentally), and about 9 inches in width
- Comes with support legs that remove the chance of tipping over
- The handle is very comfortable to hold near the grip area and the entirety is made out of stainless steel
- The overall build material is Polypropylene and Stainless Steel
- Highly portable and has a great value for money
- None too specific to mention about
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red coloured box gives you the vintage feel on as to a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 60 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves for the price
Yet another red coloured toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- The paint job on the metal surface could have been a bit better.
Finally on our list is the Keter Pro Classic toolbox. This toolbox has a robust plastic built body with compact shut case shelves out of durable and rugged quality in total.
- Decent 18.99 inches Length whereas 10.24 inches in width and 9.84 inches in height.
- Made out of high-quality rugged polypropylene resins which promises greater shelf life
- The interior utility tray is removable and retractable
- The lid is made out of metal and the stopper can hold the lid still intact while you are working.
- The padlock has separate storage space for quick access of tools
- The lid organizers are present on both sides of the handlebar where you can store small tools or spare parts etc.,
- None too specific to mention
The next one in our list is from Stanley, a 19-inches large plastic built toolbox. It comes with black handles and a latch that makes it easy to carry and store your utilities easily.
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It would have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.