What is the difference between the range rover vs range rover sport? If you are here for this reason, check our post below for the range rover vs range rover sport size difference, range rover vs range rover sport price and range rover vs range rover sport 2020 comparison.
The Range Rover vs Range Rover sport
LAND ROVER VS. RANGE ROVER: THE BEGINNING
How did the distinction between Land Rover and Range Rover start? Land Rover wasn’t always the name of the brand. Find out more about Land Rover history to get some insight into the relationship between Land Rover and Range Rover.
- In 1885 Maurice Wilks founds the Rover Company originally as a bicycle manufacturer.
- After World War II, demand for military vehicles dropped, so the Rover Company switched its focus to utilitarian agricultural SUVs.
- In 1947, the Rover Company designs the Series 1 Land Rover model. This is the first time the Land Rover name appears.
- In 1967, the Rover Company is acquired by Leyland Motors, Ltd.
- In 1970, the high-end Range Rover model made its debut after the rise in popularity of leisure SUVs.
- In 1978, part of the Rover Company is separated and re-named as Land Rover Limited.
1978 was the beginning of Land Rover as a company. Even though Land Rover Limited ownership has changed a few times since then, the Range Rover continues to be the flagship model of the company.
LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER MODELS
- Land Rover Range Rover — The original Range Rover model, this midsize SUV started the advancement in power and off-roading abilities. It is standard with four-wheel drive and five-passenger seating, and offers the most luxury features of the entire Land Rover brand.
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport — This model is also standard with four-wheel drive. The difference between this model and the classic Range Rover is that the Range Rover Sport focuses more on the performance on Gilbert roads and beyond.
- Land Rover Range Rover Evoque — No matter whether you choose the crossover or unique convertible configuration, this model provides a luxurious design, advanced features, and off-road capabilities at a more affordable price. It is standard with all-wheel drive.
- Land Rover Range Rover Velar — The Velar offers all of the tech features that Land Rovers are praised for, however, if you’re looking for a more compact version of the beloved Land Rover Range Rover, the Velar is the model for you. This model is also standard with all-wheel drive.
OTHER LAND ROVER MODELS
Though the Range Rover name is tacked on to most Land Rover models, there are three other luxury SUV models that don’t fall under the Range Rover spectrum. These include:
- Land Rover Discovery – The Discovery is built for strength and advanced safety whether taking the highway or the path less traveled.
- Land Rover Discovery Sport – The Sport model of the Discovery has many of the same features as the base model, but is better suited for adventure.
- Land Rover Plug-In Hybrid – For a more efficient drive, the Plug-In Hybrid is the model you want.
RANGE ROVER VS. RANGE ROVER SPORT: PERFORMANCE
When it comes to performance features on the Land Rover models, you’ll find they’re pretty similar. On the base models, you’ll have your choice between a 3.0L supercharged V6 gas engine that generates 340 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque or a 3.0L TDv6 diesel engine that generates 254 hp and 443 lb-ft of torque.
As you move up through the trim levels, you’ll end with a 5.0L supercharged V8 gas engine that offers 575 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. All of these options will ensure that you’ll have access to the power and excitement you crave on the Garden City roads. Each has the same towing capacity, and you can explore Range Rover Sport towing capacity in more detail at Land Rover Freeport!
LAND ROVER VS. RANGE ROVER: TECHNOLOGY
The Land Rover history includes designs with intuitive technology, and the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are no exceptions. No matter which model you bring home to Massapequa, you’ll have access to the following technology features:
- InControl® infotainment
- Steering wheel controls
- Meridian sound system
- Voice recognition
- Available rear seat entertainment system
When it comes to spotting the differences between each model, you’ll find them all inside the cabins:
- Range Rover Sport: The Range Rover Sport interior includes optional heated and cooled seats; configurable ambient interior lighting; two optional outlets and five USB ports; power-gestured tailgate; and soft door close.
- Range Rover: The Range Rover interior includes the same features as the Range Rover Sport, and then some, such as extreme passenger seat away; center console refrigerator; enhanced rear seat task lighting; and four-zone climate control.