Historically, sky lanterns have been an important part of Asian weddings, and this tradition still holds today. But even in Western cultures, these illuminated symbols of hope and gratitude perfectly capture the spirit of a wedding, along with the hope newlyweds feel as they begin their new journey as man and wife. If there is one thing that will make your special day even more memorable, it’s the sight of dozens of sky lanterns floating up toward the heavens, released by the people you care most about.
While especially suited to weddings, sky lanterns can be great way to mark almost any special occasion. Think of sending up one white lantern to welcome your newborn into this world, or sending up two complimentary lanterns to commemorate an engagement party. If you have a parent approaching a milestone birthday, sky lanterns can be the perfect way to commemorate the joy and solemnity of the event. Imagine lighting a sea of seventy-five brightly-coloured lanterns on your father’s 75th birthday—one in thanks for and celebration of each treasured year. Then imagine watching them lift gently up into sky. What present or ritual could better commemorate the date?
A lantern release would also be a great way both to celebrate and bring attention to your business opening, or send a new graduate off into the world. Sky lanterns can be a special way to commemorate any rite of passage—even New Year’s Eve. Whether you’re thankful for what’s come before, or hopeful about what’s on the horizon, a sky lantern can make a special event more memorable for your family, loved ones, and guests.
Modern sky lanterns share their same basic design with the first sky lanterns made almost 2000 years ago. They’re essentially hot air balloons which trap hot hair. Heating air lowers its density, making it lighter than the air outside the balloon, which makes a lantern rise.
All sky lanterns are at least slightly smaller at the base than at the top to help them rise. The sides of a sky lantern, known as gores, were originally made of oiled rice paper stretched over a bamboo frame in which a candle was hung. Candles were later replaced with a folded or rolled waxy combustible fuel cell suspended in the middle of the lantern’s lower rim.
While some modern lanterns are still made this way, the best models are eco-friendly and made of biodegradable, flame-retardant materials like treated rice or mulberry paper, reclaimed bamboo, and reclaimed wax fuel cells. The sides of a flame-retardant sky lantern are designed to char instead of ignite, making them much safer than traditional non-treated rice paper lanterns or cheaper models made from inferior products. Biodegradable models contain no wires and little or no other materials harmful to the earth.
Lantern Shapes, Styles, and Colours.
Today’s sky lanterns are available in a seemingly endless variety of colours, sizes, and shapes. The shapes available include but are not limited to the traditional hat-shaped designs, cylindrical lanterns, novelty shapes like footballs, hearts, or cubes. Lanterns can also vary in size from a tiny size, to traditional (90cm x 55cm x 55cm), to large and even jumbo-sized models.
Lanterns also come in every colour of the rainbow. Best Sky Lanterns, one of the UK’s largest and most respected online sky lantern vendors, sells individual lanterns and lantern packages in white, orange, red, yellow, blue, purple, and plum red.
Keep in mind that buying an eco lantern doesn’t mean you have to limit your choices. Reputable and safe vendors offer biodegradable lanterns in every shape, size and colour.
30pc Biodegradable White Bereavement Balloons and Release Net, Personalized Funeral Sympathy Remembrance Release (30pk & Release Net)
|Price:||$24.99 ($0.83 / Count) + $44.74 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Nigeria Details|
- PERSONALIZE: Message on a white balloon to personalize the event for your loved ones. Balloons can be used as a message board.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Releasing the balloon from the net avoid using a plastic balloon string which can drop into the nature and harm the environment.
- LIFE CELEBRATION EVENT: Suitable use for funeral, memorial service, life celebration, ash scattering, graveside service
- INFLATION GUIDE: Balloon float about 8-12 hours with quality helium, or few days with hi-float coating inside the balloon. Please time the inflation for your event.
- SET IN A PACK: 30 x 12 inches high quality 100% biodegradable latex balloons & 1 x Balloon net for balloon release
Biodegradable Remembrance Bereavement Memorial Funeral Personalized Balloons 30pk White Helium Quality, Celebration of Life, Condolence – Personalised”Forever in Our Hearts.” – by TOKYO SATURDAY
|Price:||$14.99 ($0.50 / Count) + $36.04 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Nigeria Details|
- $14.99 ($0.50 / Count)
- $19.99 ($0.33 / Count)
- PERSONALIZE THE EVENT: Our personalized balloons will allow you to add personal touch to your event by writing your message on the back of balloons. You can easily personalize your memories – guest can add a message with permanent marker or hang a tug to the balloons
- HIGHLY BIODEGRADABLE: 100% Biodegradable, decomposing in roughly the same amount of time as an oak leaf. They are suitable for helium as well as air inflation
- UNIQUE MEMORIAL REFLECTION: Our balloon release can be a fitting tribute to a loved one and it allows the mourners a moment to quietly reflect and think about their loss as the balloons gently float up and away and vanish into the distance
- PACKAGE: 30 x White : 12 inches high quality 100% biodegradable latex balloons – inflate with helium gas to float or air to create the decoration
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our brand TOKYO SATURDAY® wants you to be satisfied with your purchase without any risk. Buy our Remembrance Funeral Biodegradable Balloons. Your maximum satisfaction is non-negotiable.
ANGEL & DOVE 25 Premium White ‘You are Loved, Missed, Remembered’ Biodegradable Funeral Remembrance Balloons – for Memory Table, Memorial, Condolence, Anniversary
|Price:||$15.99 + $37.78 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Nigeria Details|
|You Save:||$4.00 (20%)|
- 25 WHITE ‘YOU ARE LOVED’ FUNERAL BALLOONS – A simple, beautiful and affordable way to add a personal touch to a funeral, memorial, celebration of life or to mark the anniversary of the passing of a loved one.
- PREMIUM QUALITY, BIODEGRADABLE 12″ LATEX BALLOONS – Tie them to chairs or pews, decorate a memory table or combine with fresh flowers to create a stunning table centrepiece.
- IDEAL FOR DECORATING A MEMORY TABLE OR VENUE – A beautifully simple, effective and affordable way to add a personal touch to a funeral venue. Choose your loved one’s favourite colours or even the colours of a favourite sports team.
- SUITABLE FOR AIR OR HELIUM INFLATION – You can get balloons filled with helium at most card or party stores or buy a disposable party helium canister which is very easy to use. Balloons are not toys and should be supervised by an adult. Always dispose of balloons responsibly. Do not use if you have a latex allergy.
- EXCLUSIVE TO ANGEL & DOVE – Our collection of creative contemporary funeral goods has been designed to celebrate life, love and individuality and to help make the saddest of occasions beautiful, personal and memorable.