Whether for your home, shed, cabin, RV, or camper, solar panel kits are an easy, cost-effective way to go solar, especially if it’s your first time entering the world of solar power. Let’s look at some of the best solar panel kits available in 2020, starting with the smallest and working up to the massive. No matter what your needs, there’s a great solar energyl kit out there for you! Let us review the Solar Energy Kit Price!
Solar energy kits come in all sizes, from tiny 80 watt folding solar panels for a weekend getaway in the mountains, all the way up to 10,000 watt systems permanently bolted to the roof of your home.
What Are The Best Solar energy Kits of 2020?
#1 Renogy 10Pcs 300 Watt 24 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel
- 【Reliable】EL tested solar modules; no hot-spot heating guaranteed….
- 【Durable】Capable of withstanding high winds, up to 2400 Pa, and…
- 【Versatile】Can be used for many different applications, even work…
- Reliable – EL tested solar modules; no hot-spot heating guaranteed. Authorized UL 1703 photovoltaic modules and panels. PERC Solar Cells, Black frame solar panel
- Durable – Capable of withstanding high winds, up to 2400 Pa, and snow loads of 5400 Pa. Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame for extended outdoor use. Anti-reflective, high transparency, low iron-tempered glass with enhanced stiffness and impact resistance. IP67 rated junction box provides complete protection against environmental particles and low-pressure water jets
- Versatile – Can be used for many different applications, even work sheds, garages, or camps. Ideal for residential and commercial rooftop systems. Ground mount compatible. Compatible with on-grid and off-grid inverters
- Warranty Information – 25-year power output warranty: 5 year/95% efficiency rate, 10 year/90% efficiency rate, 25-year/80% efficiency rate. 10-year material and workmanship warranty
- Package Includes – 10 Pieces Renogy 300 Watts Monocrystalline Solar panel
#2 Grape Solar 540W Off-Grid Solar Panel Kit
Grape Solar GS-540-KIT 540W Off-Grid Solar…
- Requires 12V Deep-Cycle Battery Bank At Least 270ah (not included)
- Includes PWM-Style Charge controller with large easy-to-read LCD…
- Quick-connect guide included to get you up and running in 20 minutes…
- Watts: 540
- Volts: 12
- The High Points: The kit is great for powering small, location-independent consumption systems.
- The Not-So Good: An expensive price point for relatively low wattage and no included battery bank.
Grape Solar’s unique 540W Off-Grid kit boasts minimal maintenance, easy installation and durability. With a price point that’s more expensive than most other similarly equipped kits, Grape Solar has a lot to prove. However, the well-reviewed system lives up to its marketing; buyers love their kits, no matter the price point.
Overall, the kit is best for off-grid systems like boats, RVs, cabins, sheds, vehicles and tiny houses. It’s not suitable for entire households as it only provides enough power to fuel small appliances and electronic devices. With USB ports and outlets, the o the standard 15% of other panels.
Although there are certainly cheaper 100W panels on the market, the ALLPOWERS model rises to the top because of its quality and features. However, be aware that you will still need to purchase a battery bank and charge controller separately which will significantly increase your overhead costs.
Features and Considerations
The 540W rating is a good choice for those looking to fully power small appliances, like pumps, solar lights or laptops. It’s an “in-between” option as most kits offer 100-400W of power, or 1,000W+. Overall, the system can produce roughly 1,620W hours or 135A hours of charge per day.
The kit includes three 180W monocrystalline solar panels, which are the most efficient solar cells available. The panels are also built with an aluminum frame and sealed junction box, so the system is virtually weatherproof. Durability is an important consideration for solar panels, and Grape Solar hits the mark.
Along with the panels, the kit also includes a 40A Comet PWM charge controller. The PWM charge controller is not as efficient as an MPPT controller but it does the job. It also offers mobile monitoring which is great for those on the road.
While the kit does not come equipped with a 12V deep cycle battery which is necessary for operation, it does have a 15A inline-MC4 comparable fuse, a 1,800W pure sine inverter with two outlets and a USB port. The USB port is particularly useful for plugging in small devices.
#3 ECO-WORTHY 400 Watts Off Grid Solar Power System: 4pcs 100w
- Solar charging will provide on average 1600 Watt Hours (Wh) or 135 Amp hours of charge per day (depends on sunlight availability).
- Good water and dust proof functions: IP-65 rated junction box complete protect it against environmental particles and low pressure water jets.
- Controller protection system: Wrong battery pole connection protection, Lightning protection.
- Off Grid Inverter: Parallel type design for DC input and modularization design for inverter, small volume, distributed installation, easy for system configuration, flexible for combination, strong expansibility of system.
- Connection: 32 feet solar cable adapter and Z mounting brackets for quick and easy installation.
#4 WindyNation 400 Watt Solar Kit: 4pcs 100W Solar Panels
- Complete kit includes: (4pcs) 100 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel,…
- Bundle and save! Purchase all the components together and save time…
- Solar charging will provide on average 1600 Watt Hours (Wh) or 135 Amp…
- Complete kit includes: (4pcs) 100 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel, 30-amp P30L Solar Charge Controller (w/ LCD Display and user adjustable settings), 40 feet of UL Listed 12 AWG Solar Cable, all necessary MC4 Connectors, all necessary solar mounting hardware + 4pcs BattaMax 100Ah (400ah total) AGM, Maintenance Free, Deep Cycle 12V Batteries with 2/0 AWG Interconnect Battery Cables.
- Designed for RVs, cabins, homes, boats, back-up and remote power use
- PWM Solar Charge Controller has user adjustable settings! LCD Screen shows system amperage, voltage, amp-hours, temperature and DC load draw. See Image in photo gallery for all LCD Screen readouts.
- Solar panels will provide on average 1700 Watt Hours (Wh) or 150 Amp hours of charge per day (depends on sunlight availability)
- 5 year solar panel warranty. 25 year power output warranty. 1 year warranty on all other included components.
#5 ECO LLC 1800W Home Grid Tie Solar Kit 12pcs 150W Solar Panel
- Money Save—Get 30% Gederal Solar Tax Credit and Saving Up to 35% of…
- Power Generation Plan—1.8 KW Solar Power Generates Average 7kWh of…
- Flexible Use of Electricity—In Cloudy Days, When the Power Supply is…
- Money Save—Get 30% General Solar Tax Credit and Saving Up to 35% of Electricity Bills Per Year .
- Power Generation Plan—1.8 KW Solar Power Generates Average 7kWh of Electricity Per Day for Home.
- Flexible Use of Electricity—In Cloudy Days, When the Power Supply is Insufficient,Automatically Obtained Power from Your State Grid System to Supply Your Load.
- Solar Panel— Corrosion-resistant Aluminum Frame Allows the Panels to Use for Decade,As Well As withstand High Winds (2400Pa) and Snow Loads (5400Pa) Outdoors.
- Grid Tie Inverter—Make Full Use of All Types of Buildings’ Surface that Face to the Sun In the City As Well As Fast and Easy Installation of Solar Modules and Grid Tie Inverter. It Gust Needs VeryLow Maintenance Costs.
You can experiment with many of the solar panel kits and see which one would be the best investment for your home.
#6 Best for Off-Grid Homes: Renogy 3600-Watt Solar Cabin Kit
- Ideal for large off-grid systems such as remote cabins.
- Works with off-grid residential and commercial rooftop systems.
- Guaranteed positive output tolerance (0-3%); withstands high winds…
- Watts: 3600
- Volts: 48
- The High Points: Can fully power small-sized households or work as a backup source for regular homes.
- The Not-So Good: Not ideal for those looking to dabble in solar panels.
Renogy, the top-tier brand that topped our list with their 400W starter kit, also offers a variety of other systems. The 3600W Solar Cabin Kit is a powerful addition to any small household. With advanced panels and a host of high-quality equipment options, the kit is ideal for remote cabins, off-grid residences and commercial rooftop systems.
Although the price tag may seem startlingly high for newbies in the DIY solar market, it’s actually a reasonable cost when considering the size of the bundle. The kit comes with a MidNite Classic MPPT charge controller and a MidNite Solar MNPV6 Combiner box. However, you will need to purchase a 48V battery bank separately.
Features and Considerations
The kit comes with twelve 300W monocrystalline solar panels. The panels use PERC solar cells, which are more efficient. Overall, each solar panel is 15-20% shorter and lighter than a regular 72 cell 300W panel.
The solar panels are able to withstand high winds (2400Pa) and snow loads (5400Pa) should you live in a climate with frequent inclement weather. This durability makes it ideal for rooftop mounting on residential or commercial buildings. The panels also boast the ability to perform well in low-light environments.
In each kit, you’ll find a MidNite Classic 150 MPPT charge controller. This industry favorite is a leader in remote monitoring and offers a wide range of features and more control over the system compared to PWM charge controllers. There’s also a MidNite Solar MNPV6 Combiner Box, another popular piece of equipment, which is rated for outdoor use.
Renogy guarantees a positive output tolerance (0-3%). They also offer a 25-year power output warranty on the panels, a 5-year material warranty and a 1-year accessories warranty. This may ease potential buyers’ concerns about the upfront investment in an entire system that’s not backed by a professional installation and solar service company.
#7 Sunforce 37826 170W Crystalline Solar Kit
Sunforce 37826 170W Crystalline Solar Kit
- High efficiency crystalline solar panels
- Ideal for 12 volt battery charging and use in remote locations
- Completely weatherproof for added durability
- High efficiency crystalline solar panels
- Ideal for 12 volt battery charging and use in remote locations
- Completely weatherproof for added durability
- Connect multiple kits for more power
- Kit includes: 2 x 85 watt solar panels, 30 A digital charge controller, 200 W inverter, wiring, brackets, screws, and a voltage tester
#8 Best for Traveling: ACOPOWER 3X35W Solar Panel Kit
- CONVERSION EFFICIENCY: 105 Watt monocrystalline photovoltaic panels…
- MULTI-PURPOSE: this portable solar panel kit charges 12 Volts lead…
- HIGHLY PORTABLE: ultra lightweight of 7. 9lbs, ultra compact of…
- Watts: 105
- Volts: 12
- The High Points: Unique “suitcase” design makes it very portable and easy to transport.
- The Not-So Good: Design flaw with the wiring to the charge controller.
For those who are perpetual nomads, the ACOPOWER solar panel kit is here to meet your needs. With a useful and unique folding panel design, the kit makes assembly and packing up a breeze. The lightweight and compact panel construction means those who are always on the go can tuck their panels in the trunk or stowaway compartment when you aren’t using them.
The panel kit also comes with a LandStar 10A PWM charge controller. This also includes a USB output and alligator clamps for battery charging. You can tuck these extra additions away into the front pocket of the “suitcase” for easy access.
With a variety of bells and whistles, the ACOPOWER kit is an incredibly affordable option for those looking to power appliances on the road. 105W is all the power you need to charge laptops, phones or other essential devices. You will not need to do any setup, including tools or wiring. Simply stop your RV, pop out the standing legs and start charging.
Features and Considerations
Perhaps the greatest selling point for ACOPOWER’s solar panel kit is its unique “suitcase” design. The panel is actually three separate 35W panels mounted on a foldable surface. This tri-fold option is great for those looking to regularly transport their panels, like those traveling in an RV or on a boat.
The entire compact kit is only 7.9 pounds and can be reduced down to a size of 22 inches by 17 inches by 50 inches. The laminated panels and mounting surface are also weather-resistant and can be safely used in rain. The panels come equipped with a back prop stand for easy and quick assembly on the go.
The kit comes with an SAE connector for pre-wired Zap Solar RV or campers. You can also purchase additional adapters from the company. On top of that, you will need to acquire a 12V battery that’s compatible with your devices.
Solar Energy Kit Price
Essentially, there are five types of solar panel kits on the market:
- Commercial solar power systems
- Off-grid solar power systems
- On-grid/Grid-tie solar power systems
- Hybrid solar power systems
- Residential solar power systems
Commercial solar power systems
As the name itself suggests, these solar panel kits are mainly designed for commercial buildings like offices, factories and public institutions like schools, hospitals and others. Their inverters tend to have a higher wattage than the residential ones. In addition, most commercial solar panel kits are grid-intertie.
Off-grid solar power system
If your home is in a remote location where grid power is currently unavailable, an off-grid solar power system comes to the rescue! In its core, grid power is an organised system of energy run and provided by local center. An off-grid solar panel kit is disconnected from the main power grid that service the area where your home is. For this reason, an off-grid solar panel system is backed up by batteries which constantly provides electric energy to the solar panel. In case there is a lower production of power, batteries are easily discharged. This is when electric generator produces more energy and make the entire solar panel kit work.
Hybrid Solar Power Kit
On the other hand, if you are living in a home where energy consumption is extremely high, you should go for a hybrid solar power kit. Basically, hybrid solar system is a combination of different sources of energy. For instance, if the are where you live receives a constant and consistent flow of wind, then you should consider using wind energy to back up solar energy.The best thing about these solar panel kits is that it can provide you with a solar energy even during power outages.
On-grid/Grid-tie solar power systems
This type of solar panel kit is directly connected to the traditional power grid. It enables homeowners to make use of power from the utility grid which also serves other residents. It has a tendency to produce constant electric energy and match all your home requirements and needs. In case an on-grid solar system does not produce adequate electric energy, additional energy will be drawn from the grid system. Net metering technology enables an efficient energy management. On top of that, it keeps track of energy production and consumption.
What does a solar panel kit include?
The essential components of every solar panel kit are a solar panel and an inverter. But, most solar panel kits will also include racking or all the electric supplies necessary to install a complete system. Here are some of the components that most solar panel kits include:
- Solar Panel – solar panel is the heart of every solar panel kit and its main function is to receive the sun rays and convert them into electric energy. They are commonly known as PV modules and can vary in sizes. While large ones use 200 watts, and even 300 watts, some smaller ones use 100 watts. Basically, the size and voltage depend on the type of cell technology used to make them.
- Inverter – Inverter has one major role – to convert current energy from one form to another. Solar panels provide energy which is in the form of direct current, known as DC, and inverter changes this energy into alternating current, known as AC. The biggest benefit of AC is that it sends the energy over long distances in several directions. Keep in mind that there are different kinds of inverters for different solar panel kits on today’s market.
- Mounting System – as we mentioned a mounting system also known as a ranking system is a crucial element of every solar panel kit installation. Besides keeping the solar panel system firmly fixed on the roof, it also increases the level of power production of solar panels if installed properly.
- Wiring and Connectivity – In most cases, it a cable and entire wiring are included in solar panel kit
- Charge Controller for Battery Systems – if your solar panels are connected to batteries, you need to have a charge controller or a charge regulator. By using a charge regulator, the batteries won’t suffer excess charging from the panels allowing you to keep the current from the panel to the cells under control.
What things you need to take into account when choosing a solar panel kit for your home
As with most purchases you make, from the smallest ones to the life changing ones like buying a house, you need to take some important things into consideration. One of the main factors when choosing a solar panel kit is most definitely the price. This is the reason why most companies offer solar panels at attractive prices when selling their products online. However, it often turns out that these solar panels are of low-quality. This is why you need to be aware of the potential dangers that the wrong installation of solar panels can cause. Here are some of them:
-If solar panels are installed incorrectly, they can cause fires
-If you are installing solar panel yourself, you need to have the appropriate safety equipment
-If solar panels are damaged during installation, they may void the warranty
-If installed incorrectly, solar panels can cause leakage which may cost you a lot
Here are a few features you should be looking at when you start looking for a solar panel system that will suit your needs.
What are the advantages of solar panel kits?
There are good reasons why an increasing number of people are installing solar panels in their homes. Here are some of the biggest benefits of solar panel kits:
- They represent a source of renewable energy – renewable energy is highly beneficial simply because it can’t diminish. As long as there is sunlight, there is solar energy. This means you don’t have to worry if you are going to run out of supply.
- Solar power lowers the electricity bill significantly – one of the biggest benefits of installing a solar panel system is undoubtedly the cost-efficiency. If you want to save money, you should consider installing a solar panel. If you decide to install off-grid solar panel, you won’t even have to deal with monthly electricity bills. Also, off-grid solar energy bill are significantly lower than other energy sources. Plus, solar panel kits can help you generate some money. Basically, the surplus energy can be channelled back to the grid allowing you to receive bonus payments.
- Solar energy system has multiple applications – the energy that solar panel systems generate can be used for various purposes. Besides powering electric appliances, the solar power system can produce heat at the same time. One of the examples of the usage of solar panels in industry are factories. They use solar energy to run heavy machines. However, a solar panel system can be used to run even public institutions like schools, hospitals or streetlights.
- Low maintenance cost – another reason for investing in solar panels is easy and fast maintenance. Solar panels do not require some special maintenance. The only thing you need to do on a regular basis is to clean their surface, however, not too frequently. Also, the system does not have moving parts which means that you do not have to remove the parts or replace them when they wear out, and you don’t have to lubricate on a regular basis. However, you may have to replace the inverter, but only after a period of 5-10 years.
- Easy to install – while the installation process is really simple and fast, make sure you hire a person who is skilled at installing solar panels. However, if you decide you want to do it on your own, ensure that you have the right skills and knowledge to do that, as it may cause some serious damage if not installed properly.
- Solar Panels don’t take up much room – one of the biggest and probably most valuable benefits of installing a solar panel is the fact that it is installed in the place that is usually not utilised like on roofs. In its core, all of the energy you need for your home can come from the space on your roof that is exposed to the sun the most. In case you are installing a solar panel on a shed or other smaller vehicles and other places, you can get the most solar energy if you install your solar panel on the top of your camper, van, RV, shed. In such a scenario, you need to be aware of your power needs ratio and choose the most efficient solar power kit.
- Solar panel Systems are expendable – one of the things that sets solar panel kits apart from other sources of renewable energy is the fact that they are modular. This means you can add more to what you’ve got. For example, you can add batteries that will store your energy. This feature gives you a possibility to first invest in solar panels on a smaller scale and then scale up when you are financially ready
- The costs of solar panels are decreasing – although there is a huge variety of solar panel kits out there on the market, the good news is that the prices are dropping. Now you can find an efficient solar panel kit at a reasonable price. This reduction in cost is mainly due to the fact the installation process of solar panel systems is becoming much cheaper.
- Grid Independence – finally, if you want to live off-grid, buying a solar panel system for your home is the right decision. The best thing about off-grid solar systems is that you don’t have to be tied to the system and live in the city to take advantage of solar energy. You can go wherever you want and still use the power you need.