There’s a lot of competition among hair wax brands trying to be top dog while also trying to grab your attention in the hair products aisle.
Yes, there’s so many choices and so little time, to borrow a cliché, but if you go into it armed with basic knowledge (and take your time before choosing), you’ll be better off than the guy who simply grabs the first – and perhaps only – product he knows. Or, doesn’t know. Hey, we’ve all been there.
Here are a few basics about hair wax:
1. DON’T CHOOSE WAX IF YOU’RE GOING FOR THE SLICKED-BACK LOOK
Pomades are the way to go if you want your hair to look “slick” when styled. You won’t get that look with wax, but they do provide a bit of fluff, and are an excellent choice if you’re in a hurry in the morning. Like pomade, they don’t flake and are easy to work with, even long after you’ve applied them during your morning routine.
2. HOW DOES IT HOLD?
Just like with pomade and many other hair products, “hold” is everything (well, almost everything) with hair wax. Most quality hair waxes should last you all day long, but it’s not as hard of a hold as you’d find with a hair gel. So, it’s a good idea to check yourself in the mirror throughout the day – and you may want to apply a bit of wax if you’re planning to go out right after work. Which leads us to our next question?
3. DO YOU RE-STYLE YOUR HAIR OFTEN THROUGHOUT THE DAY?
Different from hair gel and many pomades, hair wax allows you to re-style your hair without reapplying more product or re-washing. In most cases, all you need to do is pinch and twist your hair back into shape.
4. WAXES SMELL GOOD
The consensus among many men’s grooming experts is that hair wax smells better than other styling products. Of course, what smells “better” and what doesn’t is a matter of taste. But you will find a wide range of scents in hair wax products.
5. DON’T CHEAP OUT
This advice isn’t anything new – and applies to virtually any product you buy – but you get what you pay for with hair wax. If a wax dries out and becomes flaky, it’s very likely that it’s a cheaper, lower-quality product. We’re not suggesting that you bust your budget and buy the most expensive brand on the shelf, but don’t be afraid to make a sound investment in your wax and yourself.
6. HAIR WAX & ITS MANY ALIASES
Finally, hair wax often goes by other names, such as paste, putty, glue, or even “molding gum.” A product’s ingredients should tell you whether it’s truly a wax.
7. HOW DOES IT SHINE?
While wax doesn’t appear greasy, it will give your hair some shine. Most waxes range from low to high.
OK, now let’s dive in and take a look at the best hair wax for men.
THE 7 BEST HAIR WAXES FOR MEN 2020
- Provides excellent control
- Works great on thicker hair
- Can also use it on your beard and mustache
BEST HAIR WAX FOR:
Men with thick and curly hair
Some men have a lot of hair – you know who you are, lucky bastards – but who don’t feel the need to go gonzo and shape it into a Mohawk or pompadour. Perhaps they work in a professional setting where straying-from-the-norm hairstyles aren’t appreciated.
Or, maybe they just like it the way it is – simply styled, but looking good. And if your hair is curly or frizzy, then it’s worth your time and money to check out the Jack Black Wax Pomade. It gives you good control over your frizz or straying curls and waves and is the best hair wax for thick hair.
Here’s another cool thing: It even helps condition your beard and mustache. In other words, it’s a versatile tool to toss into your grooming kit.
But versatility and the ability to keep your thick locks under control aren’t the only reasons we like Jack Black Wax Pomade. It’s also packed with natural ingredients and doesn’t include parabens, artificial fragrances, or colorants.
Instead, the ingredient list includes tea tree leaf oil (reduces dryness and itching), sage leaf oil (fights infection), organic basil leaf and kelp (thickens, nourishes, and volumizes your hair), as well as green tea leaf extra that stimulates hair follicle growth.
Of course, beeswax is included to give you a marvelous hold while also locking in moisture throughout your hair. It even works to control dandruff.
Jack Black Wax is also dermatologist-tested and (animal) cruelty-free.
You’ll find the wax lightweight and that it gives your hair a pliable, high-finish, natural-looking shine. You also don’t need to use a lot of it to get an all-day hold, and it rinses easily from your hair and won’t leave it feeling dry or greasy.
While it’s excellent for thicker hair, it’s also lightweight enough that it won’t weigh down thinner hair types. And, as mentioned earlier, you can use it to condition and tame those stray hairs residing on your beard or mustache (or both).
- Good for thicker hair
- Also works on beards and mustaches
- Natural ingredients
- Perhaps not as effective with thinner hair (but still works pretty well)
Jack Black is making its name with quality grooming products that have natural ingredients, and that get the job done. There Wax Pomade is easy to use, provides a firm hold, and is easy to rinse out.
- Natural look
- Excellent for men with short or thinning hair
- Helps thicken hair
BEST HAIR WAX FOR:
Men who want a natural finish on their hair
You apply your hair product, take one last look in the mirror, and think, “That doesn’t look like my hair at all!”
If you’ve experienced the above scenario, we understand your pain. While you want your wax, or pomade, or whatever, to give you good hold and allow you to achieve your desired style, you don’t want the result to look like someone else’s hair or, even worse, artificial.
And that’s a good reason to choose TIGI Bed Head B for Men. Make that, a great reason. After you’ve applied TIGI Bed Head B, it’s quite possible that others won’t notice that you’ve used a wax at all. It provides one of the most natural looks there is and applying it in the right amount leaves a superb matte finish with excellent texture.
But there are plenty of other reasons to choose TIGI Bed Head B for Men:
- It’s a good wax for adding volume, which makes it an excellent choice for men with short and thinning hair. While it’s extremely versatile and good for almost any hair length and style, it’s the best hair wax for thin hair.
- You’ll like how easy it is to rework your hair long after you’ve applied it. You can adjust your style simply by using your hands, or you can apply a small amount of water (not much, mind you) for even easier styling.
- Beeswax is a key ingredient and helps keep your hair in place while keeping it healthy. It also gives structure and fullness to your hair follicles. Carnauba wax is another key ingredient – it’s used in a variety of hair products – and it has a softening effect that gives you superior styling flexibility.
- Its shine is perfectly natural and not artificial-looking.
- It has one of the best matte finishes of any styling product out there. A matte finish is preferable if you have short hair (almost too short to comb) or if you’re going for the tousled, “bad-boy” kind of look.
- You can combine TIGI Bed Head B for Men with a natural finish hairspray for even more precise styling.
- Natural look
- Very versatile and good for different types of hairs and styles
- Superior matte finish
- Doesn’t provide as long of a hold like some other waxes
This is an excellent product from a company that makes a wide range of grooming products for men and women. You’ll love how it looks, and it’s so subtle others may not know that you’ve even used a wax.
- Provides excellent hold
- Natural, non-greasy finish
- Works well on a variety of hair types
BEST HAIR WAX FOR:
Men who want a firm hold
Paul Mitchell was a famous hairstylist and co-founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems – the iconic hair care company better known as, yep, Paul Mitchell. And no you know the rest of the story.
But, trivia aside, Paul Mitchell is known for its quality hair products, and you’ll find them in salons around the globe. The company isn’t one to skimp on quality, and its Dry Wax Firm Hold is no exception.
Made for both men and women, this wax is a go-to option for many celebrity hairstylists. For starters, it’s hard to beat the Dry Wax Firm’s hold which, as the name suggests, is “firm.” It makes styling easy; all you have to do is apply a small amount and your hair will remain in place throughout the day.
But while its hold is strong, it’s not so strong that it makes your hair feel stiff or unnatural. It provides excellent texture, a little extra lift, but you can move it around during the day if the mood strikes.
There’s also nothing greasy about this formula and, moreover, it’s easy to wash out.
So, what else?
Well, it has a nice matte finish that looks natural, and it has a neutral scent that is a good fit for you and your wife or girlfriend (and a little goes a long way, so if both of you are using it you don’t have to worry about it running it right away).
It also works for a variety of hair types and lengths. If you have frizzy, curly hair, manageability is a daily struggle, but the Paul Mitchell Dry Wax Firm Hold provides the kind of hold you’ll appreciate.
- A little goes a long way
- Superior hold
- Extremely versatile
- You have to be careful not to apply too much
This is a product that comes with a big name and reputation but does more than just talk the talk. It provides an excellent hold, is good for all hair types and lengths, and you don’t need to use much of it to keep your hair in place throughout your day.
- Doesn’t feel heavy on your hair
- Adds body and density to hair
- Suitable for everyday use
BEST HAIR WAX FOR:
Men with thinner hair
Redken is hardly a newcomer to the hair products game, and they’ve developed a strong reputation for quality since its inception 50 years ago.
Two major reasons for Redken’s success are science and experience. Co-founder Jheri Redding was a science-savvy hairdresser, while the company has always worked closely with the people in the field, namely, hairstylists.
Today, Redken offers a near-endless list of hair products for men and women, including its popular Maneuver Work Wax. The latter is a versatile product and a go-to solution for both men and women and for all types of hair and styles – from short hairstyles to mohawks.
Here’s what we like about it:
- It has an extremely light feel in your hair. It’s a natural feel that almost feels like you don’t have any product in your hair at all.
- It not only feels natural but has a nice matte finish that doesn’t leave your hair look oily or shiny.
- It offers a medium hold that’s particularly effective for thin and short hair.
- Because the Maneuver Work Wax isn’t very thick, it washes easily. Cleanup is a breeze.
- One of the reasons many men with thin hair like this was is that it adds body.
Several key ingredients help make Maneuver Work Wax what it is. For starters, it’s water-based, but also ingredients like castor oil and stearyl alcohol make it suitable for everyday use.
Castor oil is found in many popular waxes today and is packed with vitamins and minerals that can repair damaged hair and prevent future damage. Stearyl alcohol, meanwhile, acts as a moisturizer for the hair and scalp.
Another key ingredient found in Redken’s Maneuver Work Wax is wheat protein. You won’t find wheat protein in a plethora of hair products, but it works to strengthen hair and, like castor oil, minimizes the damage caused by hair dryers and exposure to sunshine and other potentially harsh natural elements.
Finally, Maneuver Work Wax comes in a fairly large tin (3.4 oz.) and is relatively affordable. Because a little of it goes a long way, it’s wax that’s a solid long-term investment.
- Nice finish, no overly wax look
- Excellent for wax-styling newbies
- Easy to re-adjust during the day
- The hold isn’t as good for men with thicker hair
Redken’s Maneuver Wax gets the job done without a lot of mess or flash. It blends into your hair easily, is simple to work with, and easy to restyle when needed.Shop Related Products
American Crew Forming Cream, 3.0 oz ( Pack of 3)$24.00 (258)
TIGI Bed Head for Men Matte Separation Workab…$7.83 (4484)
GATSBY MOVING RUBBER SPIKY EDGE…$8.65 (1202)
- Versatile enough for men with thick and normal hair
- Easy to apply
- Doesn’t leave a greasy residue behind
Shaving Your Pubic Hair
Armed with the right tools, like the All Purpose Gillette STYLER, shaving your pubic hair is pretty simple. Follow these steps to get great results every time:
- Step 1Select a Fixed Comb LengthThe right comb length on your body hair trimmer can help you tame full, natural growth that hasn’t been touched by a razor for a while – or ever. The All Purpose Gillette STYLER comes with three comb attachments (2 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm) for you to choose from.
- Step 2TrimTrim your pubic hair. Trimming the hair before shaving can help prevent clogged blades.
- Step 3ShowerThe water will help soften your pubic hair (which can be wiry) and make it easier for the razor to glide over your skin. Gillette STYLER is waterproof so you can trim in the shower.
- Step 4Lather Up with Shave GelA good lather helps to hydrate hairs, enhance razor glide, and protect your skin while you shave your pubic area.
- Step 5Check for Dull BladesBlade feeling dull or lubrication strips looking faded? It may be time for you to swap your blade attachment before you begin.
Never run out of blades! Start Gillette On Demand today!
- Step 6Shave with Light, Gentle StrokesAttach a Fusion5 blade to your STYLER. Shave with light, gentle strokes, rinsing often, and with the skin pulled taut.
- Step 7Rinse Your Blades OftenRun the blades gently under the faucet every few strokes, both the back and front sides of the blades, and then gently shake excess water off. Do not tap your razor against the sink or wipe against a towel; these habits can reduce the life of the razor by affecting the intricate design of the blade components. Rinsing the blades under running water helps to remove built-up shaving gel, hair, and dead skin.
- Step 8Pull Your Skin TautCreate an even surface by pulling your groin skin taut with one hand and guiding your razor with the other.
- Step 9Reapply Shave Gel As NeededYou may find that you need to shave over the same spot in different directions to get a smooth shave. In order to help prevent razor burn in your pubic area, ensure that you reapply shave gel before you re-stroke.
- Step 10Rinse, Dry, and MoisturizeMoisturizing after shaving your pubic area is critical – it helps soothe the skin