The most common cause of brake failure is loss of brake fluid. The fluid transfers the force you exert by pushing down on the brake pedal to the brake disks that slow and stop your car’s wheels. A bad brake cylinder can cause your braking system to lose power. A part called the brake booster can also go bad
Never Ignore These 8 Warning Signs of Brake Problems
- Brake Light On
- Squealing, Squeaking or Grinding Noises
- Wobbling, Vibration or Scraping When Braking
- Leaking Fluid
- Spongy or Soft Brake Pedal
- Car Pulling to One Side When Braking
- Burning Smell While Driving
- Bouncing Up and Down When You Stop Short.
Volkswagen Tiguan brake pads usually last between 30,000 and 70,000 miles depending on your driving habits. If you commute in heavy traffic and use your brakes often, you’ll need to get an inspection more frequently.
If your brakes suddenly fail, do the following:
- Downshift to low range (labeled as 1) in case of automatic transmission and low gear in manual transmission.
- Pump the brake pedal fast and hard to build up brake fluid pressure
- Apply the parking brake, but be ready to release it if the car begins to skid
5 Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Brake Pads
- Squeaking or Squealing Noise Coming From Brakes. The first sign that it’s time to replace your brake pads is if you hear persistent squeaking or squealing
- Indicator Light Turns On
- Deep Grinding Metal Sound
- Vibrating Brake Pedal
- Brake Pads Appear Less Than A ¼ Inch Thick