If you are looking for Why Windows Is Better Than Mac, then you are on the right page. It contains the mac vs pc pros and cons 2020 guide. Suppose you want the windows vs mac os comparison instead. Then this article is what you need.
The age-old debate: are PCs better than Macs? Well, the answer isn’t so clear-cut. You could make a solid argument either way. In fact, we have. Read our blog post 10 Reasons Macs are Better than PCs for the other side of the story. Today, we’re going to argue in favour of the PC.
Here are 10 reasons PCs are better than Macs.
mac vs pc pros and cons 2020
Why Windows Is Better Than Mac
1. Cost Effective
When you purchase a PC laptop or desktop computer, you get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of hardware. There are also thousands of PC computers sold at thousands of retailers, so there is a ton of variation when it comes to price. Macs, on the other hand, have an almost universal price, so you’re less likely to get a good deal.
2. Better for Gamers
The gaming industry is huge. Computer games are becoming more advanced, and require a large amount of space and top-of-the-range graphics cards. For the price of a Macbook (which certainly couldn’t run the latest game titles), you can pick up a PC computer with the hardware needed to run modern games. Plus, many games are simply not compatible with the Mac operating system.
3. Simple to Customise or Build
If you know what you are doing, PC computers can be customised or even built from scratch without too much trouble. In contrast, Macs can’t really be customised at all. This means for a relatively small amount of cash, you can acquire are really powerful machine.
4. The Operating System
This is a tricky one – some prefer the Mac operating system, while others prefer Windows. Here’s a good metaphor to help you grasp the difference: the Mac is like driving an automatic, whereas Windows is like driving a manual. You have more control over your device’s processes when using a Windows computer. There are more settings to mess around with, and more small changes to make that will transform a run-of-the-mill computer into a machine that performs exactly how you need it to.
5. Flexible Hardware
Unlike Macs, the hardware in PCs can be changed and updated when you need. You can install a new graphics card, increase your hard drive, or replace hardware that’s stopped working. In fact, you could completely reassemble your PC with your own customised set of components. That kind of thing’s just not possible with a Mac.
6. Customised PCs for Your Specific Needs
Flexible hardware means that you can create a system ideal for your specific needs. Machines can be optimised for gamers, video editors, architects, designers, photo editors, and more. Specialised components can be installed into your PC, which means you won’t be wasting money of features you’ll never use.
We’re not talking security in terms of viruses, because PCs are more susceptible. We’re talking security in terms of protection against failed innovation, drastic change, and the possible elimination of the operating system itself. Mac users put all their eggs in one basket –the same company makes both their device and their operating system. If future Mac innovations fail, Mac users will have to either grin and bear it or make the switch. Because there are so many PC computers, PC users will always have a choice of devices. And, because the majority of computer users use PC, Windows is less likely to make drastic changes.
8. Cheap Support
Apple technical support is hands down more expensive than Windows and PC support. When you buy a Mac product, 90-day phone customer support is included for free. Sure, the support is really good, but it only lasts 90 days. After that, you’ll be paying. Plus, if your PC does break, you can get it fixed just about anywhere. Not all computer shops deal with Macs, and taking your device directly to Apple can be costly.
We help our customers with both PC and Mac computers, so if you do have an issue with either, don’t hesitate to get in contact.
9. Less RAM is Required
Windows’s virtual memory is much more effective than Mac’s. A PC running low on memory will run slow, but it won’t breakdown. A Mac running low on memory is much more likely to crash. This means you need less RAM in a Windows computer to ensure it’s reliable.
There is a copious amount of freeware available to Windows users. We’ll let the stats speak for themselves. Download.com has over 55,000 programs compatible with PC, and just under 5,000 for Mac.
windows vs mac os comparison
What Is The Difference Between Server OS And Everyday OS?
Understanding how to differentiate a server OS from an everyday one is vital to our discussion. The differences are very specific.
An everyday OS will be able to run programs like MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. including running one of your favorite video games. It enables applications that make browsing the web and checking emails easy. It uses LAN and Bluetooth connections and is cheaper than a server OS.
Server OS, on the other hand, are expensive and rightfully so. These platforms enable unlimited user connections, a greater memory capacity, and act as universal servers for web, emails, and databases.
A server OS can handle multiple desktops as it is optimized for a network instead of catering to a single user.
What Is An Operating System?
An operating system in its most general definition is the software that allows a user to run crucial applications on his/her computing device. It helps to manage a computer’s hardware resources. It helps to support basic functions like scheduling tasks, and controlling peripherals.
Which OS Is Best For Personal Use?
When it comes to home use, traditional Windows and MAC OS are great options. At home, you don’t need powerful OS especially for simple tasks like writing or browsing the web. For gaming, the Windows operating system is well optimized than that of MAC.
Which Is The Fastest OS?
While discussing the fastest OS, there is no argument that Linux based OS is the lightest and fastest OS in the market right now. It doesn’t need a powerful processor unlike Windows to operate at an optimal level.
Linux based OS like Ubuntu Server, CentOS server, Fedora is great options especially for running business enterprises where substantial computing power is mandatory.
Free Operating System Alternatives
We understand that not everyone has enough dollars to afford a high-grade operating system for their computers. However, that’s not all the bad news as there are free OS alternatives which ensure that your computer keeps running. All the below options are available for download, hence you can simply install it today.
- Linux: Linux is absolutely free and will literally run on anything.
- Chrome OS: Chrome OS is available on a number of Low cost and some high-end laptops, like chrome books.
- Free BSD: With its roots connected to Linux, it is the modern-day version of the Berkeley Software Distribution.
- Syllable: Syllable is yet another free alternative for home and small business users only.
- ReactOS: Initially launched as a Windows 95 clone, this OS has come a long way since then.
Notable mentions go to OS like Haiku, MorphOS, Android.
OS Market Share
Also read =>> 10 Best Laptops For Coders
Android: 39.19%, Windows: 35.12, iOS: 13.85%, MAC OS: 5 %, Linux: 0.77% are some numbers for the market share of these companies.
As of July 2019, Android’s pervasiveness through portable smartphones has made it an undisputed leader in the Operating Systems domain.
It is followed closely by Windows whose familiarity crosses boundaries beyond the United States. Apple iOS and Mac OS are understandably behind because of their exclusiveness to the Apple brand.Pro Tip: Before deciding on your operating system, try to identify what your requirements are. If you have a budget and want the best gaming and application experience then maybe you won’t mind spending a few bucks on the Windows Pro Version. For entrepreneurs, who might be looking for more than just an application running system, opt for a Linux based system for optimal results.
The below list aims at making your decision-making process simpler, hence you don’t need to waste time on pondering over what is best.=>> Contact us to suggest a listing here.
10 Best Operating Systems In Market
Get ready to explore the top operating systems that are used worldwide.
- Mac OS
- Free BSD
- Chrome OS
Comparison Of The Top Operating Systems
|OS Name||Computer Architecture Supported||Target System Default||Security Threat||Best For||Price||Website|
|Workstation, Personal Computer||Huge||Apps, Gaming, Browsing||$119 – $199||Windows|
|Workstation, Personal Computer||Negligible||Apple Exclusive Apps||Free||Mac OS|
|Desktop/server||Negligible||Open Source Downloading, APPS||Free||Ubuntu|
|Desktop/server||Negligible||Coding, Corporate Use||Free||Fedora|
|Server, Workstation, NAS, embedded||Negligible||Networking||Free||FreeBSD|
Best For Apps, Browsing, Personal Use, Gaming, etc.
Price: $119 – $199$ (Pro)
Windows is the most popular and familiar operating system on this list. From Windows 95, all the way to the Windows 10, it has been the go-to operating software that is fueling the computing systems worldwide.
It is user-friendly, and starts up & resumes operations fast. The latest versions have more built-in security to keep you and your data safe.
- A robust User Interface which helps in easier navigation, with a start menu on the left side by listing out options and representing applications.
- The Task View feature lets the users switch between multiple workspaces at once, by displaying all the open Windows.
- Two separate user interfaces, one for mouse and keyboard, and the ‘Tablet Mode’ designed for touchscreens.
- Multifactor authentication technology for higher security like BIN, PIN, Fingerprint recognition, etc.
- Automatically compress system files to reduce the storage footprint.
Verdict: The Windows software is simply best because of how it has evolved with time. Its security system is state-of-the-art, its user interface allows convenient usage irrespective of the device that you are using it on. The only thing that will pinch some is its price.
Best for Open Source Downloading, Running Apps, Browsers, and Gaming.
Ubuntu is a Linux based OS that comes with everything that you are looking for in an operating system. It is perfect for organizations, schools, and home use. It is free to download, use, and share and that alone should be worth checking this app out.
Suggested reading =>> Windows Vs Ubuntu- Which is a better OS?
It is backed by Canonical which is a global software company, and now by the leading Ubuntu service providers.
- Ubuntu is an Open Source software, which allows it to be freely downloaded, used and shared by its users.
- It comes with a built-in firewall and virus protection software, by making it the most secure OS around.
- You get five years of security patches and updates.
- Ubuntu is fully translated into 50 different languages.
- It works and is compatible with all the latest laptops, desktops and touch screen devices.
Verdict: Ubuntu is a great option for those with holes for pockets. Its open-source feature is enticing enough to attract many users. But, it also makes up in quality by providing a robust interface, and security features that are too hard to pass on.
#3) Mac OS
Best For Apple-exclusive Apps, Dynamic Desktop, etc.
Price: Free with Apple Devices.
The Mac OS has been the staple of almost all Apple devices as we can remember. It has evolved with time to include the features that first and foremost define innovation.
In recent years, the MAC operating systems have been completely free with the occasional free upgrade by its developers. For Apple users, there is no other option except the MAC OS.
- The new dark mode gives your desktop interface a more dramatic look which is easier on the eyes.
- A dynamic desktop which helps to automatically organize your desktop files by kind, date or tag.
- Continuity camera that scans or photographs a document nearby your iPhone and automatically appears on your mac.
- Discover handpicked apps with the MAC app store.
- New iTunes that allows users to search for songs with few lyrics.
- Prevent websites from tracking your Mac by making your profile more anonymous online.
Verdict: Mac’s biggest accomplishment is how dynamic the look and design of its interface appears. It is probably one of the best looking OS today. Now, Apple is allowing its users to get their hands on this OS and all its upgrades for free, and this has alleviated a lot of burden from Apple users who are already paying heftily for the Apple devices.
Best For Open Source Development, Corporate Use, etc.
Fedora is another Linux based system which gives Ubuntu’s open-source features a run for the money. Fedora is reliable, user-friendly and makes for a powerful operating system for any laptop and desktop computer.
Fedora is the Operating system that is for casual users and caters to students, hobbyists, and professionals working in corporate environments.
- A sleek new user interface that allows the developers to focus on their code on Gnome 3 environment.
- It offers a complete open-source toolbox with languages, tools, and utilities in all just a click or commands away.
- Allows digging into powerful virtualization tools to get virtual machines up and running.
- Containerize the own applications or deploy applications out of the box with OCI (Open Container Initiative) image support.
Verdict: Although also good for personal use, fedora works best for developers in the corporate environment. It has all the tools and utilities that a developer needs to work on in their projects and is free of cost!
Best for Large workload processing, managing multiple databases, etc.
Solaris is a UNIX based operating system which was originally developed by Sun Microsystems in the mid-’90s. In 2010 it was renamed as Oracle Solaris after Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems. It is known for its scalability and several other features that made it possible such as Dtrace, ZFS and Time Slider.
- Provides the most advanced security features in the world such as process and user rights management, thereby allowing you to secure mission-critical data.
- It offers indisputable performance advantages for web, database, and java-based services.
- Delivers high-performance networking without any modification.
- Unlimited capacity for helping in managing file system and databases.
- Allows seamless inter-operability for solving hundreds of hardware and software problems.
Verdict: Oracle Solaris is considered as one of the best free open source OS in the industry by most of them. It allows for scalability, interoperability, data management and security that are all critical for businesses with the need for high-end operating software.
#6) Free BSD
Best For Networking, Internet and Intranet server compatibility.
FreeBSD, as the name suggests is a free UNIX based open-source software. It is compatible with a variety of platforms and mainly focuses on features such as speed, and stability. The most fascinating part about this software is its origin. It was built in the University of California by a large community.
- Advanced networking, compatibility, and security features which are still missing in many OS today.
- Ideal for internet and intranet services and can handle large loads and manages memory efficiently to maintain good responses for multiple simultaneous users.
- Advanced embedded platform catering to higher-end Intel-based appliances.
- Easy to install using CD-ROM, DVD or directly over the network using FTP and NPS.
Verdict: Free BSD’s biggest appeal is its ability to deliver a robust operating system, given the fact that it was built by a large community of students. It is best for networking, and is compatible across multiple devices and is very simple to install. Hence, give it a try.
Website: Free BSD
#7) Chrome OS
Best For a Web application.
Chrome OS is another Linux-kernel based operating software that is designed by Google. As it is derived from the free chromium OS, it uses the Google Chrome web browser as its principal user interface. This OS primarily supports web applications.
- An integrated media player that enables the users to play MP3’s, view JPEG’S and handle other multimedia files while offline.
- Remote application access and virtual desktop access.
- Chrome OS is designed to be compatible with all the Android applications.
- With Chrome OS it is possible to run Linux applications.
Verdict: Chrome OS is an operating software that works fine, but there is still a lot of promise to what it might eventually become. For now, it is good for multi-media, Linux and Android applications. For the other features, we will have to just wait and watch.
Website: Chrome OS
Best for Coding, Personal, and Business Use.
The CentOS is another community-driven open source free software that allows robust platform management. It is best for developers who are looking for an operating system that simply helps them to perform their coding tasks. That’s not to say that it has nothing to offer those who simply want to use it for mundane purposes.
- Extensive resources for coders looking to build, test and release their codes.
- Advanced networking, compatibility, and security features that are still missing in many OS today.
- It allows for seamless interoperability by solving hundreds of hardware and software problems.
- It provides the most advanced security features in the world such as process and user rights management, thereby allowing you to secure mission-critical data.
Verdict: We recommend CentOS to coders than for personal and home use. CentOS makes their coding work simpler and faster. Moreover, it is free.
Best For Running Apps.
Debian is again a Linux kernel-based free open-source OS. It comes with over 59000 packages and is a pre-compiled software bundled in a nice format. It is easy to install and offers a user-friendly interface.
- Faster and lighter than the other OS, irrespective of the processor speed.
- It comes with in-built security firewalls to protect valuable data.
- Easy to install through any medium.
- Advanced networking, compatibility, and security features which are still missing in many OS today.
Verdict: Debian might not be the most versatile of the Operating systems mentioned above, but its free open source feature makes it something that you should try if you are short on cash.
Best For Running Application.
Deepin is an open-source operating system based on Debian’s stable branch. It features DDE, (Deepin Desktop Environment built on QT. It has been praised for its beautiful aesthetics and very appealing interface.
- User-Friendly and Robust Aesthetics.
- Advanced security features.
- Simple Installation Procedure.
- Home to custom-tailored Deepin apps like font installer, file manager, screenshot, Deepin screen recorder, voice recorder, image and movie viewer, etc.
Verdict: Deepin can very well qualify as its own little niche OS. It is free and improves upon many shortcomings of Debian. With more modifications, it will compete with the top operating systems like Windows and Mac in no time.
An operating system is a fuel that is required to run your computer at your convenience. There are many OS out there that make it possible. Choose the best operating system that suits your needs and comfort.
If you are looking for personal use like gaming and browsing, then Windows is perfect for you. If you have an Apple device then you have no other option than using the MAC OS.
For businesses, there is the option of Linux and UNIX based OS. Whatever you choose the above list will help you clarify any confusion and make the right decision.
The Best OS must be capable of:
- Running critical computing applications.
- Manage a device’s software and hardware.
- Connect with the CPU for memory and storage allocation.